All I know so far is it's an SA Series and PURRRTEEE! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

All I know so far is it's an SA Series and PURRRTEEE!

I have looked and looked, but I can't find any definitive info about this little girl, but she sure is easy on the eyes and plays like a dream! Bought from a guy last week who described her as a 2004-ish SA220, but the finish and fret-markers are wrong for that, and that is before you ever get to the MOP full-edge-binding. She has traits of a few models all combined, is there a chance she was born a Showgirl?? Eager to see what the ever knowledgeable community might think about this one. She was priced so low, I did not expect this at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181223_202428.jpg (4.85 MB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 20181223_203412.jpg (1.60 MB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20181223_202441.jpg (5.17 MB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20181223_202940.jpg (4.33 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20181223_202545.jpg (5.08 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20181223_202458.jpg (4.44 MB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:39 PM

Re: All I know so far is it's an SA Series and PURRRTEEE!

Hi Attilla,

if I remember correctly these models sold as SA220EX around 2005. I guess it's made in Korea?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 05:37 PM

I've seen a few of those around, kind of the swansong for WMI Korea before they lost all their Ibanez contracts to Indonesia, build quality is usually incredible and they're certainly a bargain, worth upgrading with locking tuners and pickups if you wanna play the hell out of it.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Yes, she is very well built and looks awesome, to boot! Instantly a top 10 in "Favorites in my Harem", a Top 5 in MY "Best Cheap Guitars EVER", and in the running for Centerfold in the upcoming "Multi-String Beauty Queens" Calendar Vol.1.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver_p View Post

if I remember correctly these models sold as SA220EX around 2005.
Is this written somewhere or featured in print/pics where I might be able to pull that info up? The ad listed this guitar as "Ibanez SA 220 Fantastic pre-owned condition circa 2004-5-ish" biggest anomaly out of the many encountered when trying to determine this guitar's actual model was the Abalone inlay all around the perimeter, and then the Abalone fret markers, but the color and hardware were not what the examples were said to be, either. I get the whole "EX" thing, though, but it would be cool to see it advertised as such by Ibanez. Even figured it could be a small market piece, or a Special Order by some retailer, like Sweetwater or Musician's Friend, etc. since it just was off a bit from catalogue stats. THen add in that after extensive searching, I could not find an exact match anywhere, I was leaning toward thinking this little girl was a rarity.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:22 AM

I believe that is an SA360 but I don't know the year. There were also some other identifiers attached to the end of the name to indicate the trans-grey finish and fancy purling (did I spell that correctly?).

Someone on The Gear Page also has one of these and raves about it. Those early Korean SAs were well built with very nice necks. Definitely a beautiful guitar.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
...fancy purling (did I spell that correctly?).
No.

Binding is spelt differently.

Purfling is also spelt differently and is in fact different from binding.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttillaDeHunt View Post
I get the whole "EX" thing, though, but it would be cool to see it advertised as such by Ibanez. Even figured it could be a small market piece, or a Special Order by some retailer, like Sweetwater or Musician's Friend,
Indeed, might have been a custom order series for a store-chain or similar. Google spits out a few similar pieces for SA220EX.
Anyway, enjoy the beauty!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
No.

Binding is spelt differently.

Purfling is also spelt differently and is in fact different from binding.
Thanks -- I did indeed leave out the 'f' in purfling. Ibanez does refer to these types of abalone inlays as purfling rather than binding:

"The SA360FM features a arched flamed maple top with abalone purfling..."

Regardless watcha callit and howz it's spelt, it's purty gneiss.

Tags
abalone inlay unlisted , custom? , namm? , rare , sa series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode