Allright people, this is the deal... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Allright people, this is the deal...

within a few months i will have acquired enough mula to buy a very high end ibanez... Ive played the jem and fell in love with it...the finish, the look, the neck is soo smooth and i have never played a better feeling guitar... on the other hand, ive got my eye on that rg8470F with the super thin super wizard neck with the maple binding...ive played earlier j customs and loved them... but ive always dreamed of having a jem7vwh... which one depreciates less in value over the years? and do the 6105 frets on the jem (lovely) make a big impact compared to the jumbo frets on the JC? thx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 03:56 PM

Re: Allright people, this is the deal...

I have a 7vWH and now kinda wish I had a J-Custom, but that's mainly because I genuinely feel the build and woods on J-Customs is better, you only have to look at touches like the maple binding, and neck design to know it's a higher quality guitar. My mate has an 8670 and it feels much more solid than my Jem.

To be honest, don't buy a guitar because you've always wanted one, if you think the J-Custom is a better feeling guitar then buy that one, if you prefer the Jem, then buy the Jem I say this because after a year or so, the novelty wears off of having that 'dream guitar', I say this from experience as for many years the 7vWH was my dream guitar, I now have one, and play my RGA121 more, purely because I prefer the feel of it.

I think the Jem will definately depreciate in value more over time, there's absolutely loads of 7vWHs around, not many J-Customs though.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

hmm... ok i understand what your saying... would the fact that i dont like my friend's rg2570 but love the jem feel mean anything as to how ill feel bout the j customs?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 08:05 PM

An rg2570 is an rg2570 and a jcustom is a jcustom.

For one, there are many, many different types of jcustoms with different woods/finishes/hardware/necks/pickups. There are 7 stringers and piezio system ones. You have a huge selection (if you can find them obviously ) and the build quality is simply amazing, well from the few I've played anyway. They are in a different league to Prestiges.

The only way you are going to be able to tell the difference is to play one. Even if its not the one your buying it could still give you an insight into how different it feels in general. Also a jcustom will hold it's value oh so much more then a bog standard machine made 7vwh, if you look after it.

Oh um the short answer to your question is no.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 08:35 PM

if you buy a jem you will buy a j custom one day , i played my one and had to have it , sold a collectable strat to get the ready cash to buy it, love the sound of my jem its out of this world , the j customs a different sound but still awsome,

by the way the necks are the same specs on both, unless you are looking at an older j custom then the neck specs may indeed be different.

in short if you buy a jem you will one day buy the custom, if you buy the custom you are most likly to buy the jem one day
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

well ive played a neckthru rg9670... its the best thing ive ever played in my life... but those are older models... can i still use that as a reference considering the the 8470's hae the same neck profile or does the old/new factor have to be taken into acount?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Doodl3.2
which one depreciates less in value over the years?
Jems appreciate

Look at what the FP's are going for and the BFP's, PMC's.

Not to mention if you can ever find a VDY or a VSK

When the vsbl came out a lot of people didn't like them (for the life of me I can't figure out why)

Now they are a wanted commodity!!

When the 7vwh is discontinued (if ever) the going seller prices will skyrocket!

Don't they make "arrow up thingys" on the keyboard
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 12:16 AM

I get what Andelusion's saying. The "oh look I have a Vai guitar" thing kinda goes away after awhile, and unfortunately there are still idiots out there thinking all JEM owners are Vai wannabes. -_-

Don't get me wrong, I still love my 7VWH and if it ever broke I'll cry a river. But if I could chose either to bring on the stage, I'd prefer the J-custom to rid of the unwanted finger pointing. At home? I'll hug them both to sleep.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 12:19 AM

and about the 6105 frets on the 7VWH. Although shopkeepers tell me in theory jumbo frets are easier the play on, I like the touch of the thinner 6105 frets better. I'd try it out and see how much of a difference it'd make for your playing. But for me, I wouldn't chose a guitar based on what fret sizes it has on the neck.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btangel
I like the touch of the thinner 6105 frets better.
For sure!! Much more comfortable (and faster) than the Jumbos, IMHO
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btangel
But for me, I wouldn't chose a guitar based on what fret sizes it has on the neck.
I would .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
For sure!! Much more comfortable (and faster) than the Jumbos, IMHO
Exactly how I feel. They have more touch, you get more fretboard, you get really INTO the guitar imo.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 06:16 AM

The depreciation shouldn't matter unless you're collecting or looking to make a few bucks down the line. If you're collecting, read on.

The 7VWH has been in production for so long and there are so many on the streets that although they do carry a nice resale price, it is not as high as a Jem 10th, BFP, or an MC, DY, yadda yadda yadda. Re-sale prices on a VWH may skyrocket if they are discontinued, but 99% of us will laugh like we do at a $2500 Wolfgang.

For example, in 91 you could buy a DY Jem for $1,000 out the door. That same Jem now sells for as much as $1500. The VWH can currently be bought new for $1680 and they resell anywhere from $900-$1200. Note that there are no used 7VWH Jems on Ibanez Rules. There must be a reason for that?!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

thx for the tips everyone!!! for sure ill get both eventually i just dont wanna get screwed over buy a j custom and have the jems discontinued next year lol... so im kinda deciding which one first...

Tags
fret size , jumbo frets , maple binding , super wizard neck , vwh jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode