Almost got completely screwed on the 'bay... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Almost got completely screwed on the 'bay...

A couple of weeks ago, this auction came up:

http://cgi.****.com/ws/****ISAPI.dll...109165823&rd=1

EDIT:

Forgot 'bay links don't work. Item number: 260109165823

As you can see... RG3120 with natural finish. It looks pretty nice from the pictures... like... an RG3120 IN NATURAL FINISH. So, I decided to buy it.

Well, it arrived yesterday and, when I opened the case... it was nice. It played well and sounded great, but it looked a little...rough. Not terrible, just a little raw. I figured it was just the natural finish.

So, I brought it to work with me (guitar teacher) and the owner of the place where I teach was looking at it and said, "Nice guitar, what was on it before?" and I was like, "What? It's natural," and he was like, "No, look there's BLUE in the wood," and then he pointed to the side of the pickup cavity and, sure enough, there was blue paint inside as well as a few other places. There were also scratches in various places on the front and back.

At this point, he concluded that the guitar had originally been blue (TW, maybe?) and had been sanded down. To be sure, though, he got on the phone with an Ibanez rep (they're an Ibanez dealer) and they looked up the serial number and determined that this guitar was, in fact, originally blue.

So, I called the guy I bought it from (had talked on the phone before the auction ended) and explained the situation. He acted very surprised and said he had bought it that way from another source. I told him that I'd keep it if he wanted to reduce the price or he could take it back and refund my money. He agreed to refund my money back, thankfully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 10:57 AM

Re: Almost got completely screwed on the 'bay...

Well, it could have turned out much worse, and providing you didn't HATE the look of it in the flesh I can't really see the problem if the guy didn't know it had been 're-finished'. For that price I would have kept it
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:17 AM

290111427846 This one has the original finish.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:28 AM

it was a very nice guitar even though it was sanded at some point of its life...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelusion View Post
For that price I would have kept it
Same here, I thought it looked quite nice.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 12:03 PM

Yeh I love that natural finish, Good price too.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 PM

Same here, it looked great. Did it feel or looked that bad in person that you decided to return it??? Price was very reasonable.

Gus.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:01 PM

I would have kept it, but to each his own.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Dee

There's nothing special about the price on that. I bought an absolutely mint condition 3120 in Deep Red from the Bay last year for $700. It was the 2001 model (now sold to pay for the 550 20th) which I got £500 / $1,000 for. Of course, UK prices are higher on these.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:31 PM

I would have kept it myself and just sell off the Ibanez Backstop that was in it to redeem some $$$.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJazzTerminator View Post

To be sure, though, he got on the phone with an Ibanez rep (they're an Ibanez dealer) and they looked up the serial number and determined that this guitar was, in fact, originally blue.
I wish we had that kind of access on the internet at least to verify serial numbers. Wonder why they don't have this available to the public?

Glad it worked out for you though. Kind of sucks you didn't get what you wanted, but better than being screwed.

Paul
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Vendor

Serial number only told them the year and by which the models available that year, TW being it.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:50 PM

Oh. Darn. Well it was fun to dream of it for a short time.

Thanks Rich.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
I would have kept it myself and just sell off the Ibanez Backstop that was in it to redeem some $$$.
Thought it said Tremsetter?

EDIT: Should have looked more closely. Yeah, Back Stop. Cool.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned

To all the people saying I should keep it:

It doesn't look as nice in real life as it does in the pictures. Don't get me wrong, it's not HORRIBLE, but it's not a thing of a beauty.

Secondly, it needs a massive setup. That's about 50 or 60 bucks right there. It needs a better sanding job. It's not terrible, but it's certainly not very neat. You can actually SEE the blue that was originally on there in the wood. It needs to be stained or something. I don't know how much that would cost, but I'd assume it's at least 100 bucks.

So, at this point, if I kept it and did that stuff, it's up to $850 -- at least. It's just not worth it. For that price, I could track down a 3120 in Vintage Violin or even a Twilight Blue for even cheaper.

To me, it's just not worth the price. Not to mention, there's a tiny crack on the back of the neck, near the first fret.

Tags
beautiful guitar , guitar shop , ibanez backstop , ibanez dealer , les paul , pickup cavities , pickup cavity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to remove vocal completely in an mp3
how to completely block edge pro

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode