(Almost) NGD again: 83 HSS Roadstar II on the way - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

(Almost) NGD again: 83 HSS Roadstar II on the way

Hi All-
Been awhile since I posted. I've been in mourning, as I was forced to part with my beloved 540sfm, and couldn't bear to gaze upon all the Ibanez splendor found here.
I've been on the hunt for another vintage MIJ Ibanez to add to the stable at an affordable price, and my hunt is at an end.
I just 'won' a black, HSS Roadstar II RS100, made in Feb. of '83. I'm guessing it's one of the first ones to make it's way west, as 83 was the first year of production.
It's on the lower end of the bell/whistle totem pole, but I've really been digging the less is more vibe as of late anyway, so I'm very excited for it to arrive. It's a hard tail, non-painted headstock, in the HSS config. I'm not sure if it's the coil tappable model, since the seller knew next to nothing about it.
It's got some battle scars, but in a good way. And looks to be all original, closet dweller for the better part of it's life.
I'm not planning on modding it in anyway, but anyone with any setup/maint. tips specific to these I'd appreciate it. As well as any known 'issues' to watch for as I roll it into the rotation.
From the research I've done, it looks like some were solid wood, and some were made from some sort of pressed/formed sawdust mixture. Any knowlede out there of if this is specific to certain models/years, or is it just a random thing? YouTube land has a lot to offer, but only a small percentage are useful, or recorded well enough to give any clue as to true tone, etc.
I'll post pics when she's delivered, and maybe get crazy and do a quick vid. 'review'. Just about got the basement ready for a mini home studio, maybe that'll be a good way to give it a shake down run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 07:18 PM

Re: (Almost) NGD again: 83 HSS Roadstar II on the way

Hm, the RS100 for '83 was a SSS config, hardtail. Perhaps the humbucker is aftermarket? Offered colours were natural and tobacco burst. The pups are probably ceramic single coils, with steel slugs being powered by two small rail mags on either side.

I don't know if any were made of pressed sawdust (somehow I doubt any MIJ Ibanez was like this, could be wrong though); seems unlikely for a translucent/natural finished model.

Anyway, should be a good, solid guitar. I have an '85 RS525 which rocks hard; really like the neck.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

PICS! The mystery deepens...

Found this link:
http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/RSModels-icw.html
Great chart, details the models by year, features color etc. Mine baffles me even more, the serial# starts with 'B83xxxx', according to the accompanying article, that equates to Feb. of '83.
However, the features on mine don't sync up with the chart. I've read elsewhere that they did mid-year short lived addendums to the official catalogs.
Here are some grainy pics from the seller, but at least they give some reference:

Last edited by Jimcord1; 11-19-2013 at 05:13 PM.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

And this(hope this helps)

Last edited by Jimcord1; 11-19-2013 at 05:13 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

It would appear to be one of these: (from the link listed above)
Model:RS125 Year:1983 Body:Solid Ash or Laminated, Contour:Slab Headstock: Natural Fretboard: Maple Frets:21 NPup:Super 70 Coverless BPup:Super 70 Coverless Cntrl:3-Way, 1V, 1T, Phase Switch Hrdwr:Chrome Brdg:Std Tremolo Pgrd:W/B/W Clr:BS NT
OR
RS100, 1983, Solid Ash/Laminated, Slab, Natural, Maple, 21, SB SB SB, 5-Way, 1V, 1T, Phase Switch, Chrome, Brass I, Black, BS NT, Hardtail
Issues: mine's black, not listed for 83, has different pup config, not listed either, I believe according to other models listed, the config is(from neck down): Super 6, Super 70 coverless,and poss V2.
I'm hoping someone can decode the mystery. Thanks!

Last edited by Jimcord1; 11-13-2013 at 09:59 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 05:08 AM

Well, the bridge and middle pups are not original. In that year, the single coils were typically with a plack plastic cover, and any bridge hb would be a regular uncovered one.

Not sure what the humbucker could be - it's not a stock Ibanez one. Could be an old DiMarzio - they did cover + visible hex screws (still do, I think).

Also, I've just noticed, the scratchplate looks like a homemade one - see how the shape is different down by the bridge of the ones in the catalogue.

Later on (84/85) they variously used single coils with visible poles like a Strat, or a metal bar.

So I'd wager it's an RS100 that's had a new HSS pickguard cut and was maybe even repainted.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm, I'm intrigued. I'll have to wait till it arrives and give it a through cleaning and get all CSI up in here! As I (think) I said, I'm by no means a Roadstar expert, but the pics are so bad, and its SO dirty, I can't say that I can tell what's going on with it just from the pics. Obviously you're much more knowledgeable on these, but I'm just thinking about all the one-off, undocumented, mid-year addendums I've read about, and just kind of hoping that's what I have here. The tracking # says it's on the way, so should know more in a couple days; like waiting for Santa in a brown suit!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:24 AM

Roadstars are tricky even for those who know them! You're right that there's the occasional addendum model. Like these ones:

Or these, never seen them outside of a pamphlet.

I've seen a couple out there that aren't in any catalogues. Sometimes, a Japan only model makes its way to the US or Europe as well.

I do suspect yours is more likely to be a normal one that's been modded (scratchplate is the giveaway), but we'll see when you have it in your hands. These addendum models are typically fancier when it comes to colours and the like (it's the 80s!), less likely they'd do black in this issue format. Looks like someone has attempted to Photoshop something too on your one - see the blurry screws/scratchplate area?

Regardless, these guitars are typically very solid and the stock pups are often 'blah' so you don't feel bad about changing them .

Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 11-14-2013 at 10:30 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
... maybe even repainted.
I really hope not- if it was, in some photos, the dings reveal a white color underneath, which I'd like, and may help explain some if the confusion. But if it is a respray, I'd like to be able to safely remove it, without damaging the original finish, but based on the model chart describing the bodies as either: "Solid Ash or Laminate", (and what this owner discovered under the contol plate: http://youtu.be/0tCAJYvPNFs ), I'm really hoping that it is of the solid ash variety, as I have no experince/desire trying to do a complete refin on a composite/laminate body.
Well- guess I'll just stop speculating about worst-case scenarios, and getting concerned over (hopefully) nothing; so guess its back to the waiting game...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
Roadstars are tricky even for those who know them! You're right that there's the occasional addendum model. Like these ones:

Or these, never seen them outside of a pamphlet.

I've seen a couple out there that aren't in any catalogues. Sometimes, a Japan only model makes its way to the US or Europe as well.
Man! Those are some killer color combos! I'd like to get my hands on one of those baby's! Where the heck did you find those ads? I'm fascinated by Ibanez's penchant for all the sub-category, short run mystery guitars. I had a 540s it took me a couple months to sus out just exactly what was going on!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM

They're from here: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/index.html.

Well, if it sounds and plays good, it is good, regardless of what it's made of .

The one in the vid is an '85, quite cool, love the red. With solid colours, Ibanez often used basswood in this period. Basswood itself has very little grain, and is typically pale yellow/cream in hue.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Reviews: 2

They're all solid basswood, some had a birch veneer laminated on to the top and back for finishing purposes.

I agree with Ashur: It's VERY common to run across RS model that you've never seen before. I suspect that the one your looking at is an '83/'84 RS130 that has a replacement or altered pickguard.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 02:32 PM

That doesn't look like a standard ibanez HB. I thought they used super 70's during that time. Also, the early years had 2 pickup screws on one side and one on the other. That looks like it was a s-s-s roadstar and was modified to a rear HB. You will be able to tell when you pull the pickguard.

I have an natural finish ash one from 83. It is one of my daily players. I took the original neck off and have it stored - 9.5 radius is not my favorite. I have a warmoth pro neck on it. Mine has the 2 super 70 HB's with a 3-way switch and phase switch.

It's funny because this model was the 1st real guitar I got. I later sold it. But bought another one back because they are just great.

Enjoy
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I suspect that the one your looking at is an '83/'84 RS130 that has a replacement or altered pickguard.
Just arrived; had it delivered to where I work. Got some quick pics, not sure if this solves anything; can't wait to get home so I can pop 'er open!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (34.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Jimcord1; 11-19-2013 at 06:06 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Here's one more:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Jimcord1; 11-19-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Tags
80s , hss , roadstar ii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode