Almost NGD!!! IRON LABEL SIR70FD - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Almost NGD!!! IRON LABEL SIR70FD

Well I did it, I've put down a deposit on my newest baby!

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_...&series_id=150

For $800AUD, which, to put in perspective for the US/EU players, is the equivalent of a brand new S320, H351, RG470, ARZ400, etc etc, none of which seem to have this kind of spec...

Mahogany Body
Maple Neck w/Bubinga Stripe
Bound Rosewood Board with NO INLAYS
Gibraltar Standard Bridge (I was originally looking for a Fixed Bridge RG, which is how I stumbled upon this beauty)
Air Norton Neck
True Velvet Middle
Tone Zone Bridge
Covered in Iron Pewter, which is an awesome finish, looks bland in photos but up close it is gorgeous.

My 1st Electric was a SA160, which made me fall in love with the weight and body shape, so going back to an S was nice. As soon as I picked it up at the music store and plugged it into a Fender HotRod Deluxe like mine, I was in luuuuuuurv.

Has anyone picked one up yet? I'd love to hear some info on what a decent player (unlike myself) thinks of it, because I think many are put off by the fact that they are indo-made.

Buying the DiMarzios on their own over here would be around $350AUD and then buying a decent S series on top of that would easily blow the $800 mark. Very pleased with the purchase. I've put it on layby with the idea that I sell some of my not-so-often-used gear to fund it. I'll be putting up a FS with a bunch of stuff soon.

Opinions, reviews, flaming, abuse, whatever, its all welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Almost NGD!!! IRON LABEL SIR70FD

Nice! I'm wanting to get the 7-string version! Too bad they didn't put a trem on the 7.

Happy almost NGD! Post lots of good pictures!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:17 PM

Reviews: 9

Awesome. Love my Sabers. I did not realize these are loaded with nice pickups, makes them very desirable. I prefer a blocked floyds, but wouldn't mind a fixed bridge S. I have had several Indo's and some are really, really good. My main player is an indo body with a prestige neck. The prestige neck is very nice but I like the indo neck so much I but it on another guitar I just finished. The quality of the indo Ibanez guitars is damn good.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Congrats! I'll be anxious to hear a full review. I came very close to purchasing one of the Iron Label S models, also, but came across a deal on an RG927 I couldn't pass up. Everything I've heard about the Iron Labels has been good so far.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 PM

Looks like a killer man congrats!!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:00 AM

Reviews: 2

Congrats on the almost NGD.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 AM

Lucky, I've been searching over here in japan for places that actually have Iron labels in stock so I can try them out but no one has any. This is Nagoya, the home of stinkin Hoshino, where the heck are all the Ibbys? :/
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

OK the time has finally arrived!
My plan was to only pay off my layby for the gat with money I made selling off other gear.... Instead, my 25th birthday was yesterday, the 14th of March (might still be today for the seps) and my two younger brothers, 20 and 22 along with my lovely girlfriend, banded together and paid off the guitar and presented me with it last night.

I am now complete!

The guitar is nothing short of amazing, after playing it unplugged for about half an hour, completely ignoring my guests who were over for my birthday dinner, I found the neck to be super smooth, it seems to fit my hand so much better than any other guitar. The setup from factory is superb but I'll get my tech to give the girl a once over. Everything resonates nicely, looks amazing and sounds beautiful.

Then, as my Hotrod delux is at a mates house preparing for our St Patricks Day gig on Sunday, I just plugged it into my brothers little Roland Cube 20, and even through this POS, the pickups sing! It has made me re-fall in love with HSH guitars. The Tonezone is everything it should be, sharp, articulate, crunchy. The Air Norton is smooth and exactly what Im looking for in a neck humbucker. The True Velvet (bear in mind Im used to playing H-H's or even just H's) is just so sweet and chimey and, well, velvety. The in between positions and just amazing for clean rhythm work, or trying to get a semi-acoustic sound.

I have been wowed by the looks and quality control of this instrument, the flawless binding that follows the body, neck and headstock, the perfect iron pewter finish that sparkles that little bit in the light to let you know it aint just black, and I'm loving the 3 piece neck with the nice big fat bubinga stripe that runs all the way to the tip of the headstock.

I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a versatile, lightweight, amazing guitar, and it is definately not to be discounted as the 'Metal Machine' that the Iron Label people are putting it out as. Some of the other models are EMG loaded and whatnot, but this one is nothing of the sort. Dont get me wrong, Im sure I'll be chugging out some nice thrash rhythms on the ToneZone, but this guitar was made to play whatever you want it to.

This is my first properly celebrated NGD and I couldn't be happier!

Thanks Jemsiters!

Benj
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 PM

Reviews: 120

Awesome, great to hear it's a good one.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 02:11 PM

Cool, I traded for a rgir20fe in white 2 days ago. Really like the frets, like the 1xxv.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, played my first gig with the new beast, St Patricks Day Festival here in Perth, around 2,000 people which was pretty cool! The axe sounded brilliant, had such a different sound to our lead guitarists SD's (JB/Jazz I think) in his Jackson, but complimented so well. It sings through the Hot Rod Deluxe, cleans up beautifully for the ballads, but the ToneZone is ballsy as all hell when I put the TS9 and MI Crunch Box. I put my DiMarzio Strap Locks on it and it is the complete package, no further work needed to it.

Also a quick note to say that whoever set it up at the factory did a great job. I was going to get my tech to set it up, but theres no need. Action is perfect, intonation is spot on.

In case you haven't noticed, I kinda like this guitar
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj View Post
Hey guys, played my first gig with the new beast, St Patricks Day Festival here in Perth, around 2,000 people which was pretty cool! The axe sounded brilliant, had such a different sound to our lead guitarists SD's (JB/Jazz I think) in his Jackson, but complimented so well. It sings through the Hot Rod Deluxe, cleans up beautifully for the ballads, but the ToneZone is ballsy as all hell when I put the TS9 and MI Crunch Box. I put my DiMarzio Strap Locks on it and it is the complete package, no further work needed to it.

Also a quick note to say that whoever set it up at the factory did a great job. I was going to get my tech to set it up, but theres no need. Action is perfect, intonation is spot on.

In case you haven't noticed, I kinda like this guitar
Awesome I think maybe I'm gonna put in TZ/TV/AN into my RG2550.

If all reviews of the IR series are this good, Ibanez might continue the line (next time putting the Dimarzios, and not the EMGs into the RGs )
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 06:19 PM

Already played a gig with it AND STILL NO PICS?????
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Pics will be here soon, trying to get photos of the gig to put up
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 AM

I can't wait. I still couldn't find a single store nearby which carries them... only the RGs.
That finish must look great under the lights!

Tags
iron label

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode