alternate 7 string tuning possibility? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

alternate 7 string tuning possibility?

I remember reading on one guitar Alex something or alexi or something like that, that had Fender build him a 7 string Strat tuned to EADGBEA but they had lotsa tuning issues. Would it be possible to do that on a 1527 or 7620? Even if it was like, DGCFADG? i want to try something like that but i dont know if its possible, and i dont like fenders or anything....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 12:43 AM

Re: alternate 7 string tuning possibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakma!!
Even if it was like, DGCFADG? i want to try something like that but i dont know if its possible, and i dont like fenders or anything....
That's how I've had my 7620 tuned for a while now. It's pretty fun.
I would advise using a .007 guage string for the high G though. I got lucky and the local music store had a pile of them so I bought most of them.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 12:53 AM

An .08 will work for the high G because that's what I have on my 8 string. (It actually broke but that was my fault.) I mention this only because all the guitar stores I have been to say, "Wow! I haven't seen a .07 in a really long time."
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 12:59 PM

Man, there was a time when I used to play 7's. absurdly light. I was just an idiot kid back then, though, and now play 10-60's on my seven, so no hard feelings.

-D
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 12:59 PM

It's something that would work a lot better on one of the shorter scale 7 strings. 1/2 to 3/4 of and inch an make a very big difference in string tension, so I'd try it with an ESP, a Danelectro or an Epiphone. As I recall, the 7521 and 7221 are also 24 3/4 inch scale length.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Man, there was a time when I used to play 7's. absurdly light. I was just an idiot kid back then, though, and now play 10-60's on my seven, so no hard feelings.

-D
Actually, many people prefer lighter strings. It is true that the dynamics are superior. I try to kind of split the different these days, and use 9-46 with a .062.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

I used to use 8s all the time, then i started tuning to D. Then it was like playing rubber bands, so i moved to 10s, which feel fine in D, but i prefer 9s in standard tunings...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grindfiend
Actually, many people prefer lighter strings. It is true that the dynamics are superior. I try to kind of split the different these days, and use 9-46 with a .062.
Yeah, I'm mostly kidding here, but keep in mind this was on a strat- you put strings that light over singlecoils, and you'd better have a damned light touch.

I don't really buy the "heavy strings have better tone" argument- it's not better, just different. heavy strigns are a little darker, but also much more compressed. Lighter strigns are a little brighter, but snappier. I've made the switch to 10-60's because I have a fairly heavy pick attack for rhythm, so i want a heavy low B, and i like how the heavier strings feel for alternate picking on lead. This is just what works for me.

So, hopefully no offense taken.

-D
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 02:23 PM

No offense at all. Just pointing it out for the viewers at home *winks at camera*

I do prefer slightly heavier strings. They sound thicker to me, and I like their more even response, as opposed to the snap and fade of the lighter gauges.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

well, 8s and 9s dont have very much snap when they're tuned down a whole step... And i dunno, but i can hear a pretty big difference in sound at D tuning between 9s and 10s. They just got more chunk and thickness for thrashin and whatnot.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakma!!
well, 8s and 9s dont have very much snap when they're tuned down a whole step... And i dunno, but i can hear a pretty big difference in sound at D tuning between 9s and 10s. They just got more chunk and thickness for thrashin and whatnot.
Yeah, that one's all string tension- 9's are a bit too light for D, thus they're hanging limply, and won't vibrate as well- sustain and volume takes a hit.

-D

Tags
alternate picking , local music store , music store , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode