Am I done with Ibanez? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Am I done with Ibanez?

So I just sold the last RG I had and it got me to thinking. Is the Ibanez brand not for me?

I have had probably 8 RG's and while they did the job, I never really connected with any of them except, oddly enough, the RG370 I had. I have had Prestiges, early 90's models, reissues and cheapies and none of them ever felt comfortable. I have also had a JS and various 540 incarnations. (the JS width felt to small)

The Pro-Mod Charvel I recently got seems to have become my workhorse and one reason I thought of it that the neck is thicker, not a ton but thicker in the crown. (the JS width felt to small but the neck seemed thicker) The Charvel also has an original style Floyd which set the neck and bridge up higher above the body.

So after 20 years of Ibanez, I'm wondering if I'm done. Maybe I have found what I like and should base future purchases off that? I even had an LP recently that I thought I would have no chance of liking due to the baseball bat but honestly, it was even comfy.

Maybe I'm getting old.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 PM

Reviews: 25
Re: Am I done with Ibanez?

Dont see any J Customs in your list....
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Dont see any J Customs in your list....
...or any MIJ RGs--maybe you should try a 550 or 570.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 PM

Location: I reside on a peaceful patch of land in rural Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
...or any MIJ RGs--maybe you should try a 550 or 570.
Last time I checked most Prestige's are MIJ..... ;]
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:17 PM

whatever inspires you to play.If you get a chance to ever play a rgt3020 go for it.It had the ultra neck which may be more comfortable for you.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willb526 View Post
Last time I checked most Prestige's are MIJ..... ;]
I'm not talking about Prestige's. Last time I checked, RG-550s and RG-570s were not Prestige models.

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

to clarify, I have had a 1998 RG550 DY, a 94 RG550, a 08 RG1570 (prestige), a 91 540R, (2) 87 540P, a 07 RG770 RI, an 08 RG550 RI, 08 JS, 06 AF75, 92 540R. Thats all i can think of at the moment.

The J-Customs I would imagine also have the thinner wizard neck.

I want to say the 540P I had may have had a Viper or Ultra neck. I dont remember.

I had been gassing for a RGT3120 ever since talking to a guy I bought the pickups out of it from. Said it was a great player, great neck but I learning that is subjective.

I almost feel bad, it's pretty much all I've ever known. Not that I owe them anything but it's always been Ibanez, the gas always started here on Jemsite.

Maybe my playing is changing too. I dont tap, I dont sweep pick. I just know that my hand cramps up when I spend time chording and such. The fretboard radius seems too flat.

Damn guys, besides the incredible shapes, colors and awesome trems. I got nothng.

I wanna try a JS2400 but there are none around here.

midlife guitar crisis!!!! Was looking at a custon shop Charvel Hardtail or a GC's Gibson TRaditional Pro,

I found a Godin LG Signature but no chance of playing it first.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Banned

I feel your pain, but in the reverse. Over the past 28 years, I've been through almost every guitar possible. I've come to the conclusion that all I want and need is Ibanez. I sold my Kramers, ESPs, Gibsons, Fenders, and kept all the Ibbies. To maintain a little diversity, I added an Iceman and Deastroyer to the collection. The Jem 77VBK I got from Jesse rounded out the collection. Don't worry bud, you'll figure out what's right for you. Maybe it's time to build a custom or two. That way, you get exactly what you want.

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I feel your pain, but in the reverse. Over the past 28 years, I've been through almost every guitar possible. I've come to the conclusion that all I want and need is Ibanez. I sold my Kramers, ESPs, Gibsons, Fenders, and kept all the Ibbies. To maintain a little diversity, I added an Iceman and Deastroyer to the collection. The Jem 77VBK I got from Jesse rounded out the collection. Don't worry bud, you'll figure out what's right for you. Maybe it's time to build a custom or two. That way, you get exactly what you want.

+1
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:19 AM

Reviews: 6

satch is a good guy from not to from me .I ran into on HC . I found out he currently owns and selling a RG 550 RI I used to own wish I could of got it back but I guess it sold Right Satch?
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 AM

You'll know that tastes change with time so keep your options open :-)

Guessing you ain't tied to a brand so try em' all..
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
So I just sold the last RG I had and it got me to thinking. Is the Ibanez brand not for me?

So after 20 years of Ibanez, I'm wondering if I'm done. Maybe I have found what I like and should base future purchases off that? I even had an LP recently that I thought I would have no chance of liking due to the baseball bat but honestly, it was even comfy.

Maybe I'm getting old.

Thoughts?
No, Ibanez is not for you.

Yes, you are getting old.

Thoughts? ... The Gear Page is that way...

Last edited by jono; 10-26-2010 at 10:38 AM.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 06:44 AM

I'm the opposite as well. The only company I feel comfortable with equally is Caparison. The Heartfield I have may as well be Ibanez since Fujigen made it. The ESP ghost built Barrington is an entirely different feel to me but it's fun to play so I keep it.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 AM

Hey Satch

Feeling like you. Every Ibanez i ever owned, including the usual suspects, Jems and all i have always sold. The older i got, the less Ibbys i had . I trhink eventually i just keep one S Model. Not a crime if you don't like Ibanez.

Go try a PRS Custom 24.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 AM

I am back with Ibanez after a very long break. I only played Ibanez for the first 10 years of playing. Then I sold all my Ibanez guitars and got some Gibson, ESP, Charvel guitars. Now that most of those are gone I kept a few ESPs but I got a PGM301 a few years ago and it's my favorite guitar. Ibanez just works best for me. Recently I picked up one of the new JS models and I decided that Ibanez is just what I like. I have a feeling I might end up selling an ESP or two and replacing them with Ibanez.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode