Am I foolish to want to get an Ibanez Prestige!? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Am I foolish to want to get an Ibanez Prestige!?

Bearing in mind my first and only guitar is second hand Strat copy from Gear4music which I bought for about 50 off ebay... Am I asking for too much in an upgrade to a 700 Ibanez Prestige model (RG1451)?

I definitely won't be disappointed by the quality of an Indonesian model (it'll probably blow me away in comparison to my current guitar) and I can't exactly comfortably afford a Prestige model.

Should I just go out tomorrow and buy an Indonesian model or continue to bust my ass saving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 PM

Re: Am I foolish to want to get an Ibanez Prestige!?

I can tell you... SAVE UP! I used to think, oh there are only differences for the nit picky, but otherwise they are the same guitars. Yeah. That was until I owned a prestige. Overall they are just MUCH better and much much easier to learn on and perform with. Be sure its a prestige you will use for a long time, and if you like it, youll never look back.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 PM

I used to buy a whole bunch of lesser made guitars. One, the value doesnt hold if you decide to resell...also you'll start playing more and more and realize why the better made guitars are more expensive. The quality of difference between Prestige and regular is pretty night and day if you ask me. You should save up for the prestige rg 1451. I love the guitar. Its actually my new main cause its so comfortable. I highly do not reccomend buying a Indo model...save up for the prestige.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 PM

Reviews: 11

I will agree the difference between the higher end and cheaper models are more then "just looks". However, I will be the apparent "voice of reason" you want.

You can get a used rg570 with about all of the playability of a prestige without the cost. thats my suggestion.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 PM

I agree with linuxpenguin, the old MIJ Ibanez's are great guitars as well! but if you want something brand spankin new....the new prestige models are well worth the price. I mean the fact that you have 5 piece necks...jumbo frets with the fret ends dressed so you dont get your hands all messed up...the guitar is made flawlessly. All electronics are good...500k pots i believe...the only thing is you may want to change out the pick ups. But most of them are decent and well rounded...just depends on the sound your going for? prestige or MIJ guitars all the way!!!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 PM

save money and get a beautiful guitar you wont be disappointed in!!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:23 PM

rg570's are great but if he wants a 1451, i say get it!!! theyre awesome guitars!!!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:40 PM

Having owned about a dozen guitars over the years, some cheap, some not so cheap, I think the old saying "You get what you pay for" really applies to guitars. I say save for the Ibby!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 AM

Reviews: 2

At that price, why are you not looking at the new "premiums"?? According to Rich, these things have the same fit and finish as the top of the line Prestige's, and at a fraction of the cost.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 AM

A the moment, the Premium range is about the only guitar i'd look at new. Other than that, check the auction sites, old school MIJ Ibanez for the win.

Rock on!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
A the moment, the Premium range is about the only guitar i'd look at new. Other than that, check the auction sites, old school MIJ Ibanez for the win.

Rock on!
This.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 AM

Reviews: 21

I'd say save up for the RG1451. This is a sweet guitar I've been jonesing for myself as well.
Not to down-sell you, but it looks like you're into fixed bridge guitars. In all honesty, the Indonesian fixed bridge models arent that bad. If I had the funds I'd seriously look at that natural ash RG471. The newer gibraltar type fixed tailpiece is great and really comfortable.
All the same, if you can hold out and save the RG1451 is a much better value and a better guitar.
Good luck!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:01 AM

I'm with most other people who say to keep on saving. Like fluid1993 said, if you save, research, and test some guitars, you will end up with one that will give you many years of pleasure.

Going the used route is a good idea, but it's more risky. Nothing wrong with a new MIJ Ibanez.

Peace

Mike
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 10:47 AM

just to chime in one more time....if you like fixed bridges...I HIGHLY reccomend the Tight-End Bridge. Its the most comfortable and stable fixed bridge I have played on. I love how you can individually adjust each saddle height so you can dial in the action just perfectly!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 AM

Reviews: 9

I just bought a new S570. I do not own any other Ibanez guitars, but I do own several $3000+ guitars. This Ibanez is damn good and compares to these higher priced guitars from a fit and finish standpoint. The action is pretty low from the factory and I can get it very, very low with a little work (very little). The frets are nice and only ned a little (again very little) work to make them perfect. You can alway take it to a "good" luthier and have them spend a little time and a couple hundred buck to make it a "prestige". Both will probalby need new pickups, if you are picky about that.

I think you have three best options given the fact that this is only your second guitar, you have little money, and assuming that you are sold on the general feel of an Ibanez.

1. Buy an indo model, play it for a while, make sure you like it and it is hear to stay for the long haul, then upgrade the pickup and/or have it cleaned up by a luthier (not a tech).

2. Buy a Premuim from Ibenez Rules with the best level of setup that you can afford.

3. Go to Musicians Friend and search RG2550E, a Prestige for $699, if they ever come back in stock.

Tags
ibanez , prestige , rg1451

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode