Am i getting screwed??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Am i getting screwed???

Today, i went to my guitar shop for new strings- my current ones are old, dont stay in tune, and smell. The guy at the shop asked me why i wanted the string change, as they apparently looked perfectly new, and i told him why.
He then started fiddling around with the bridge, lowered the spring tension, and tuned the guitar. Then he said there was something wrong in the bridge and tuners, and that unless it got fixed, all strings would go out of tune on the guitar. He also said that he would need to send it to the shop's main office, as he doesnt know much about this particular trem. My guitar is the RG370 with the Edge zero 2, by the way.

I made up an excuse and took the guitar back. Now my question is, should i give them the guitar??? The strings are old, and the guitar has always stayed in tune with other strings. Also, i know guitars really well, and i can say there is nothing wrong with the guitar- it is literally perfect. So i dont want to go through all this trouble to fix a non existent problem. I trust the guys themselves theyre great, and really helpful, and honest, i just dont trust their knowledge of my guitar.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Am i getting screwed???

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikm13 View Post
Today, i went to my guitar shop for new strings- my current ones are old, dont stay in tune, and smell.!!
No.
You're screwing us!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 07:06 AM

What's the risk of changing the strings yourself and see if you still have it going out of tune ?
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 07:08 AM

Stay away from that shop.
How can he tell you something is wrong with a bridge he doesn't understand or know how to setup?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:07 AM

I'm thinking what ThaalRasha and sebastian are thinking.

The store should be able to explain to you what is going on and show you what they mean on your guitar. Try it yourself with Rich's write-up.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/tuning.htm

If you fail this time, at least you've learned something and you can still take it to a store.

Peace

Mike
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:42 AM

when strings get that juicy, metallic smell is when they start sounding the best. now the tuning issue i dont know that is about but the smell - it means the nickel cover is gone and the pure steel power is starting to ring out now. and steel rings better than nickel, so it gets a more full, energetic voice.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikm13 View Post
, i know guitars really well, and i can say there is nothing wrong with the guitar- it is literally perfect. So i dont want to go through all this trouble to fix a non existent problem. I trust the guys themselves theyre great, and really helpful, and honest, i just dont trust their knowledge of my guitar.

Thanks!!
So you know guitars so well that you're unable to actually determine whether there's a problem or not and, as a result, are having to post this thread on an internet forum...
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:35 PM

man.... you don't know anything about guitar if you don't have any idea when to change your strings and how to do it..
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 05:50 AM
Sho

If your instinct says something is up, something most likely is.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 10:25 AM

sounds like your getting screwed,take it to another shop and ask their opinion.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaalRasha View Post
What's the risk of changing the strings yourself and see if you still have it going out of tune ?
i can, but i am not the best at string changing, sometimes it comes out perfectly, other times, it's horrible, and i have a guitar exam next week, and a bunch of other guitar-related stuff at school over the next few weeks, so i cant afford to screw up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandnor View Post
when strings get that juicy, metallic smell is when they start sounding the best. now the tuning issue i dont know that is about but the smell - it means the nickel cover is gone and the pure steel power is starting to ring out now. and steel rings better than nickel, so it gets a more full, energetic voice.
i wouldnt know much about that, but i probably should add that it smells like pizza.....
anyway, thanks for actual, helpful answers.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 12:57 PM

Not knowing how to change strings and set up a guitar properly is like buying a car and not knowing how to use the steering wheel.

Find a guitar player that owns a similar style guitar...buy them lunch...and ask them to show you the basics.

This is really simple stuff. Don't let it intimidate you!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 02:56 PM

Reviews: 12

Follow the Ibanez rules guide, make sure to stretch the strings properly, and check youtube videos, the principles for changing the strings are identical on all double locking bridges, dont forget the locking posts if you adjust the height/action...thers a smaller screw in the stud that locks into the anchor for more stabillity...

He probably said that he needs to send it away to get more money out of you...

It should take you not time if you take things slowly restring one string at a time from low E to high e, and stretch the strings lock down and fine tune it...

Maybe he's confused by the ZPS system on the back, It's not radically that different toa nromal spring setup so I dont get how he cant figure it out, i've never spent much time with it but it doesent work that differently to a standard spring claw, and is pretty easy to adjust..

He may have now lowered the tension for the strings which means the bridge will be pulling forward, all you need to do is tighten it up to get the bridge level, check the knife edge is running parralel flat with the body and you shouldnt have any issues...

If your strings are more than a few months old they will eventually stop holding tune, check the locking nut pads that they arent worn, if the guitar isnt that old they shouldnt be unless you overtightened them..

The tuners will have no effect on it holding tune once it's all setup and locked down, sounds like that tech doesent have a clue...

Just by a new pack of strings in the same guage and redo it one by one following the guides online and you cant get it wrong...

You should always learn to do these things yourself...
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:10 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandnor View Post
What are you smoking??????
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 AM

well, that's why bass players don't ever change their strings right?

Tags
edge zero ii , ibanez , strings , tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode