Am I Nuts? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Am I Nuts?

I recently visited GC and was fortunate enough to spot a used Santana II and I also played a SIII. I was really taken aback by them. I've played Custom 24's quite a bit and was considering one for my next purchase, but after picked up the Santana models, I didn't miss the Custom at all. Of course, I really like the pickup options and the sigle-coil tones, so I'd be sacrificing that aspect. In order to afford one of those babys, though, I'd probably have to part with my Jem7 and I'm really on the fence. While the Jem has been with me for many years now, I seem to have good days and bad with it. I realize these two insturments couldn't be further apart on the spectrum, but am I just plain nuts for wanting the SIII? Damn PRS gas...

Last edited by jippy; 03-06-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:49 PM

Re: Am I Nuts?

I have a friend that has a Custom 24 and I love the way it plays and sounds, if PRSs weren't so expensive, I'd get one in a heartbeat.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:10 AM

what am i missing ? i can't make myself like a single paul reed i have ever played . Tried the se line, the santana 3, a couple of custom 24s and a swamp ash special , none of which i liked in the least bit . They all had good workmanship and looked great but play wise , they weren't to my liking .

i guess it is just me .

like i said if nothing else they are cool to look at
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

I used to think the same thing about most of the PRS line. For many years, I refused to even play one simply based on their prices. I think I've been gassing for a Les Paul type guitar (mahogany w/maple top) for awhile now. But I've never found LPs to be comfortable guitars. Plus, I do like the flexibility of a 24-fret neck. That caused me to investigate the Custom 24 line. From there, I realized the Santana was a somewhat similar beast, though the neck is very different. When I first picked it up, my thought was "How the hell do people play these things?" 45 minutes later, I'm still sitting there playing it through a Stiletto. I think it was a sort of epiphany. What I really need to do is get my Jem over there before the Santana models clear out and try them both out side by side to make a fair judgement.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:38 AM

I love all the PRS guitars that I've played. The necks are a bit wider on a lot of them than I'm used to, but they all sound soooo freakin' good that I would love to add one to my guitar collection.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
I love all the PRS guitars that I've played. The necks are a bit wider on a lot of them than I'm used to, but they all sound soooo freakin' good that I would love to add one to my guitar collection.
Keep in mind that while they may not have them at your store, many of the PRS models have different neck widths and profiles available.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez
I have a friend that has a Custom 24 and I love the way it plays and sounds, if PRSs weren't so expensive, I'd get one in a heartbeat.
Alternative : Tokai PRS copy MIJ.

Regards

Andrť

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:42 AM

I'm facing the same dilemma at the moment. Do I sell my Jem and get a Suhr/Anderson.

Very Very difficult decision
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150
I'm facing the same dilemma at the moment. Do I sell my Jem and get a Suhr/Anderson.

Very Very difficult decision
I agree with you 100% there. I recall played a couple of Andersons at the Sherman Oaks GC a couple of years ago. Easily one of the best single-coil guitars I'd ever picked up. It was tough to leave the store empty-handed that day.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Alternative : Tokai PRS copy MIJ.

Regards

Andrť
eh...sorta. My brother has two of the Tokai PRS', and beyond the look they're not really very close. The Tokai's aren't bad guitars, I don't mean to imply they are. But, it's like saying two beers of the same color will taste the same. The PRS really is a better guitar.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippy
I recently visited GC and was fortunate enough to spot a used Santana II and I also played a SIII. I was really taken aback by them. I've played Custom 24's quite a bit and was considering one for my next purchase, but after picked up the Santana models, I didn't miss the Custom at all. Of course, I really like the pickup options and the sigle-coil tones, so I'd be sacrificing that aspect. In order to afford one of those babys, though, I'd probably have to part with my Jem7 and I'm really on the fence. While the Jem has been with me for many years now, I seem to have good days and bad with it. I realize these two insturments couldn't be further apart on the spectrum, but am I just plain nuts for wanting the SIII? Damn PRS gas...
Life is short, be happy. Play the guitar you like. If the Santana speaks to you, then get her!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Life is short, be happy. Play the guitar you like. If the Santana speaks to you, then get her!
Indeed. I've got some serious thinking to do on this one...

Tags
fret neck , guitar collection , les paul , paul reed , prs guitar , prs guitars , swamp ash , swamp ash special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode