Amazing new Ibanez-Korg guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Amazing new Ibanez-Korg guitar

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/usa/news/f_p.../KP/index.html

...kind of reminds me of Papa Roach these days and even Yes from the 1980s and it's amazing how we can get effects like this on the cheap onboard a guitar

Last edited by 63Blazer; 09-08-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 04:19 PM

Re: Amazing new Ibanez-Korg guitar

Thats a trip... Very bizarre interface for a guitar. I wondered why the guitar had a solid bridge at first, but with an expression pad like that you don't really need a floating trem.

*Warning: Not for use in conjunction with any psychedelic drugs!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 05:28 PM

Yeah I just saw this over the weekend and meant to post about it. Very cool guitar and neat that Ibanez has done this. Matt Bellamy from Muse has had a custom guitar with a Kaoss pad for some time.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 05:56 PM

Too bad it doesnt come with an extra hand...
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I recall the guy from Muse having a Manson with one of these built in a few yea ago...
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:29 PM

These have been popular with custom builders for a few years, nearly a decade even.

That said, holy **** Ibanez, you couldn't have had that onboard distortion sound halfway decent for your promo demo? Tinny tinny tinny!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

This all looked so new to me and while I haven't seen it on production guitars, I had no idea this Korg unit was available in the first place for custom made guitars. For the price this Ibanez-Korg instrument is very cool. I may have reservations if it was a grand or more.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:29 PM

I actually thought the bass video was a lot cooler.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:30 PM

Reviews: 2

Oddlly enough, these effects are all the same ones I find to be a useless waste of space on every guitar processor I've ever had. I have a bunch of crap like this on my HD-500 that gets ignored and passed by.

Other than the fact that it's mounted on a guitar- not in a pedal or an amp, is this any different from any other DSP?
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:42 PM

It's basically a synth, or more accurately, certain controls from a synth with a unique interface (other than knobs or sliders).

It's totally useless for someone looking to play traditional rock stuff. It's geared towards totally different music. I'm not saying it's cool because I'm interested in it, I'm saying that it's cool Ibanez made it and is taking modern music seriously.

Not that this is the first guitar Ibanez has made like this (IMG2010 comes to mind) but it's good that they keep at it.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
It's basically a synth, or more accurately, certain controls from a synth with a unique interface (other than knobs or sliders).

It's totally useless for someone looking to play traditional rock stuff. It's geared towards totally different music. I'm not saying it's cool because I'm interested in it, I'm saying that it's cool Ibanez made it and is taking modern music seriously.

Not that this is the first guitar Ibanez has made like this (IMG2010 comes to mind) but it's good that they keep at it.
I can see a use in house/techno/trance music, but I don't think any of those "musicians" play an instrument. Which reminds me....what happened to the EDC this year?
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:59 PM

This also reminds me of the old Steinberger GL-4

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I actually thought the bass video was a lot cooler.
I agree... that first effect demo was bad @ss! Not the stuff I listen to, reminds me of the "dub step" style of music.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 11:08 PM

Reviews: 1

Saw a band a couple of weeks ago and the guy had a '07 JEM VWH with a Roland synth on it. Totally lost the "sound" of the JEM guitar. You could put that on anything. Why a JEM? I'll never get it. He said it allows him to get different sounds for the songs they were playing. You can do that with any rack or floor processor.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 08:32 AM

I would love to mess around with it but I couldn't see myself using one in a real life situation. That said, I really think the Muse guy does a good job with his and I'm sure other folks make great music on them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode