AMPLIFYING a 7-string - whats your poison? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

AMPLIFYING a 7-string - whats your poison?

so the time has come for my first all tube face-eater. I'm trying a couple at stores, but i would love your feedback as to what you plug into for live gigs. also, just mention what vein your sound is in (sounds like _____ on _____ album). for you original artists i realise this may offend, but it's very useful seeing as i can't check out one of your shows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 06:04 AM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

Ibanez UV777PBK through a Diezel VH4S. *Through complete coincidence and accident, it sounds a little like John Petrucci on 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence - that really heavy sound yet very lenient on distortion. *I love being able to play very agressively with a very open sound.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 10:24 AM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

Or, a Mesa Dual Rectifier head. *Much less expensive than the Diezel over in the US ($1499 as opposed to >$3000). *Also consider a Bogner Uberschall (>$3000).
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 10:37 AM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

UV777BK or 2027XVV>POD PRO>Mesa 20/20>Mesa Recto 2x12 with V30's wired in stereo. I have a furman power conditioner in there too.

I used to have a Rivera M100 head with a 4x12 cab. *Rivera stuff totally rules...arguably the most tonally flexible heads made right now, a tweaker's dream. *Upside was articulate sound, an amazing clean channel...think fender deluxe played by God...Enough distortion to satisfy nearly everyone. *Downside...weighs about the same as my car, enough volume to crack plaster and wind up in jail (don't ask), expensive.

I needed a very flexible rig, small enough to fit in my car, yet sufficient to play smallish venues and sound great, and also supremely flexible for recording purposes and late night inspiration ,i.e., getting up and playing in my house without waking the kids, the cats, the neighbors, and being able to go straight to pc remaining all 24 bit with no D/A/D conversions. *In a nut shell, what I am using now is it. *I would like to add a TC Electronics G-Major very soon and possibly a BBE 482. *

A lot of people here will bash Line 6 stuff, and that's fine. *But for what I need, it is a life saver. *Simply no other piece of gear can give you all the tones and the output/recording flexibility that the POD Pro offers at that price point. *I have this stuffed into a 4 space skb rack. *The mesa is only a single rack space. *I find that this little amp is just amazing. *It sweetens everything up as only tubes can do and mesa cabinets are the best in the industry. *I *highly recommend recto cabs. *So with this 4 rack space, 2x12 combination...it fits in my mustang, I can carry it without needing a visit to the chiropractor, and I can nail any tone from Vince Gill to SlipKnot. *No, it may not sound just like your buddy's vintage JTM 45 head into a basketweave 4x12...but it's as close as you're gonna get. *The rectifier models and the fender models are just fantastic. *I have recently found that the tube pre-amp model is just great for the piezo on my 2027.

POD Pro's downside is the effects patches. *Some are actually very good, but you are limited. *Hence my desire for a G-Major and a really nice midi controller to work everything together. *Here are some approximate prices: *POD Pro $599, Mesa 20/20 $499, Recto 2x12 $499 *(less if you find any used).
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 01:05 PM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

What Gresh said... * Only difference I'd recommend is a different path (either an acoustic amp or direct to PA) for the piezo signal as the POD Pro and standard guitar cab just can't produce the higher frequencies that the piezo bridge produces.

Randy
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 02:41 PM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

I have the Flextone 2x12, and I love it. I also use a POD for recording. However, I do like the Carvin MTS combo, which eventually I'll get.

I'll be keeping the Flextone though, it's way too versatile to get rid of.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 04:37 PM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

Quote:
lgascoig on 10:24 am on Mar. 12, 2002
Or, a Mesa Dual Rectifier head. *Much less expensive than the Diezel over in the US ($1499 as opposed to >$3000). *Also consider a Bogner Uberschall (>$3000).
Not just the Bogner Uberschall, the Bogner XTC is a very good amp too.. I live in europe of course, where the Diezel is around the same price point as the Dual Recto and the various Bogners.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 12:31 AM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

Quote:
Gresh on 10:37 am on Mar. 12, 2002
UV777BK or 2027XVV>POD PRO>Mesa 20/20>Mesa Recto 2x12 with V30's wired in stereo. I have a furman power conditioner in there too.

I used to have a Rivera M100 head with a 4x12 cab. *Rivera stuff totally rules...arguably the most tonally flexible heads made right now, a tweaker's dream. *Upside was articulate sound, an amazing clean channel...think fender deluxe played by God...Enough distortion to satisfy nearly everyone. *Downside...weighs about the same as my car, enough volume to crack plaster and wind up in jail (don't ask), expensive.

I needed a very flexible rig, small enough to fit in my car, yet sufficient to play smallish venues and sound great, and also supremely flexible for recording purposes and late night inspiration ,i.e., getting up and playing in my house without waking the kids, the cats, the neighbors, and being able to go straight to pc remaining all 24 bit with no D/A/D conversions. *In a nut shell, what I am using now is it. *I would like to add a TC Electronics G-Major very soon and possibly a BBE 482. *

A lot of people here will bash Line 6 stuff, and that's fine. *But for what I need, it is a life saver. *Simply no other piece of gear can give you all the tones and the output/recording flexibility that the POD Pro offers at that price point. *I have this stuffed into a 4 space skb rack. *The mesa is only a single rack space. *I find that this little amp is just amazing. *It sweetens everything up as only tubes can do and mesa cabinets are the best in the industry. *I *highly recommend recto cabs. *So with this 4 rack space, 2x12 combination...it fits in my mustang, I can carry it without needing a visit to the chiropractor, and I can nail any tone from Vince Gill to SlipKnot. *No, it may not sound just like your buddy's vintage JTM 45 head into a basketweave 4x12...but it's as close as you're gonna get. *The rectifier models and the fender models are just fantastic. *I have recently found that the tube pre-amp model is just great for the piezo on my 2027.

POD Pro's downside is the effects patches. *Some are actually very good, but you are limited. *Hence my desire for a G-Major and a really nice midi controller to work everything together. *Here are some approximate prices: *POD Pro $599, Mesa 20/20 $499, Recto 2x12 $499 *(less if you find any used).

* AMEN BROTHER!!!! TESTIFY! TESTIFY.

* * * * * * * LONG LIVE LINE 6!!! *

I think its the greatest, i like the insane for gut wrenching balls to the wall distortion, i love the recto sound for the petrucci aproximation, and the modern high gain for those ohh soooo sweet and fluid leads, and the tweed for some jazzy tones, and that only 4 of the models in it, ( i own a pod pro ). they are the best.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 01:15 AM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

I am starting to like line6

Wonder if i can find a trade...is a JCM2000 DSL100 worth the trade for a line6 flextone II?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 05:06 AM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

My Poison is a triaxis running into a customised old marshall super lead head's power stage (had an effects loop built in). If I ever get round to fixing the pot and switch on the fx loop then I'll be able to run the head at sane volumes, instead of having the fx board turned all the way down. The other weird thing about the FX loop is that for some reason the tone controls on the marshall still work, which is kind of cool. Great sound though. Nice n warm
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 09:27 AM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

Quote:
Scoff X on 12:15 am on Mar. 13, 2002
I am starting to like line6

Wonder if i can find a trade...is a JCM2000 DSL100 worth the trade for a line6 flextone II?
The best deal going in the industry right now is www.SamAsh.com and here is why: *12 months same as cash, no interest and no payments for one year, and free shipping. *Any MBA's in the crowd will recognize the net present value of this offer. *Free money for any period of time is a good thing, but for a year, come on!! *You could buy whatever you wanted now, and have a year to sell your other stuff to pay it off.

Warning: *IF you are an undisciplined spender...beware...if you don't pay it off when a year is up, they slam you with all the accrued interest at like 24%.

And to rlintz's comments on the piezo not accurately coming through a regular cab, he is absolutely correct. *My recto cab just squashes the piezo tone out of my 2027. *If I ever get to where I am playing live again, that will have to be rectified (no pun intended). *
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 09:50 AM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

COUGH COUGH, what?!

A DSL100 for a flextone? *Unless you're just playing in the house, stick with your tube amp! *At least try the Flextone at realistic volumes and compare to your DSL.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 12:41 PM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

must state... my marshall has never been played about 3 for more than an hour.

never left house..I need a band
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 12:44 PM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

Also..i think i love my marshall too much...hahha the reason i got it

When I first got my UV i was playing thru some 100 watt fender ( Deluxe 112 plus, great amp, for practice)

Anyways..One day i was jamming with a friend at like 5. I hit the low B muted. and you heard the speaker flopping around....so i said "Hmm better get a better amp"
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 12:54 PM

AMPLIFYING a 7-string

Gresh:
Can one bargain on the price if u opt for the 12 months same as cash, no interest and no payments for one year, and free shipping? *When I bought my UV7PBK from GC I got them down very low and then I asked about the no payments and no interest and they stated I must pay full price if I do that. *I would have paid a lot more $$$$ for it if I would have done the no interest thing.
Out,
GP *

(Edited by pri0531 at 12:57 pm on Mar. 13, 2002)

Tags
acoustic amp , air norton , bogner uberschall , dual rectifier , dual recto , fender deluxe , furman power conditioner , john petrucci , mesa boogie , mesa cab , mesa dual , mesa dual rectifier , mesa recto , midi controller , monster cable , peavey ultra , piezo bridge , pod pro , power amp , practice amp , rack setup , rack space , recto cab , rivera tbr , tone zone , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode