Andy Timmons Rig Rundown (white AT-100 content) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Andy Timmons Rig Rundown (white AT-100 content)

Hey guys

please enjoy this rig rundown video of AT during the Protocol II tour with Simon Phillips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skFo4OWYMMU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 08:27 PM

Re: Andy Timmons Rig Rundown (white AT-100 content)

The fact he says so many good things about the AT-10P says alot about the Premium factory sigs.

Also that White prototype is GORGEOUS. I hope they make that a production model.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 09:37 PM

No questioning the fact that Andy is great. But before Andy endorsed that guitar I think you could buy it out of the guitar center clearance section for 250 bucks with a free amp cord, picks and strap.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 09:42 PM

Reviews: 4

I think you are mistaken, POS. You are referring to the RX, I believe. The AT is a descendant of the RT (like the RT650), which were priced similar to the higher-tier RGs, or at leas consistant with MIJ pricing, since it was MIJ.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
No questioning the fact that Andy is great. But before Andy endorsed that guitar I think you could buy it out of the guitar center clearance section for 250 bucks with a free amp cord, picks and strap.
I think it's a GIO you are referring to?

yeah, thanks to the GIO, Andy AT100 never look like a 2k guitar.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
I think it's a GIO you are referring to?

yeah, thanks to the GIO, Andy AT100 never look like a 2k guitar.
Yeah, haha I was just joking, sort of.

When I see that guitar I see a quote off one of my favorite party tshirts..."I shaved my balls FOR THIS???"

For 2000 dollars, what makes that guitar better than one of my favorite best playing and sounding guitars ever...a less than 200 dollar fender squier bullet? Pickups? (I am dead serious)

Of course, it's supposedly everything in a guitar that andy ever wanted...or is it every guitar that Ibanez ever wanted Andy to have?
The jury is still out on that one. WHen I hear andy talk about the guitar, I hear largely the same lines that steve vai and joe satriani must have been given on their cue cards.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 09:44 AM

I dunno man. Steve and Joe get cue cards, Andy is far more down to earth imo (which makes me like him more than both Steve and Joe). I would probably trust Andy's word more than the faces of Ibanez.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 10:39 AM

Gorgeous sound out of those Cruiser pups. I gotta try an AT one of these days, has many features I like - HSS, Stratty neck, non-locking whammy.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I dunno man. Steve and Joe get cue cards, Andy is far more down to earth imo (which makes me like him more than both Steve and Joe). I would probably trust Andy's word more than the faces of Ibanez.
I'm not questioning anything regarding andy. I really like him and I think he's an excellent player with a very nice sound.

I just think the guitar could be a lot better, or if it's really the way andy does like it (which is fine) it could definitely be about 1300 dollars less.
There is just no substance to warrant that price.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 AM

Reviews: 2

Andy is currently my favorite player. Everything he plays sounds incredible.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
Andy is currently my favorite player. Everything he plays sounds incredible.
I have many favorites, but I definitely like Andy.
I love his tones.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
I'm not questioning anything regarding andy. I really like him and I think he's an excellent player with a very nice sound.

I just think the guitar could be a lot better, or if it's really the way andy does like it (which is fine) it could definitely be about 1300 dollars less.
There is just no substance to warrant that price.
Any less than a JS1000 or a JEM70V? Does a vine inlay really make that much of a difference to you? Because a JEM, one could argue, is a white AT10P with a different fretboard, different-but-equivalent-quality pickups, and a different-but-still-gotoh-made bridge. And the Jem70V premium is a $1400 guitar - to you, that's money well spent. but a $1300 AT10P isn't?

I don't think a "flashy" SHOULD be more expensive than an "understated" one. The better guitar should be more expensive, end of story.

And, for me, the fact Andy's tone is TO ME way more musical than Vai's is a pretty big difference.

EDIT - wanted to also explicitly state that I'm not trying to be antagonistic or accusatory here, but rather say more or less this: that a value preposition is going to be different for every different player, and what YOU consider to be the signs of quality in a guitar are going to differ from what others look for. Accordingly, just because you think an AT10P looks cheap doesn't mean it SHOULD be cheap, or that it's no better than a $250 GIO starter set guitar. There's a lot more that goes into it.

One of the best six strings I've ever played is this:

Not mine, alas. Visually, nothing to it - oil finished alder body, matte-finished natural maple neck, two pickups, and a trem. But man, what an ass-kicker of a guitar, and does it ever sound and play spectacularly.

Last edited by Drew; 11-20-2013 at 12:45 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I don't think a "flashy" SHOULD be more expensive than an "understated" one. The better guitar should be more expensive, end of story.
+1

i'm usually a lurker around here nowadays, but felt compelled to agree and comment. POS, keep in mind that andy left ibanez for a short time a few years ago (right after he stopped playing the at300, which from what i've heard was starting to make his hands hurt). he said he still loved his at100, but wanted to have the freedom to play whatever he felt like. i think the fact that ibanez rereleased the at100 really shows how much they valued him as an endorsee.

as for the cost of the models vs features, i'm not sure why people feel the need to continue to whine about it. i think rich has said it best; guitar companies will price the models based on what they feel consumers will buy them at while achieving whatever profit margin they are targeting. as consumers, we have the power to vote with our wallets. if no one is buying the models, it's doubtful they will last for too long.

the white at100 has been around for a year or so. i saw him play it at a guitar show in dallas last year.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Any less than a JS1000 or a JEM70V? Does a vine inlay really make that much of a difference to you? Because a JEM, one could argue, is a white AT10P with a different fretboard, different-but-equivalent-quality pickups, and a different-but-still-gotoh-made bridge. And the Jem70V premium is a $1400 guitar - to you, that's money well spent. but a $1300 AT10P isn't?

And, for me, the fact Andy's tone is TO ME way more musical than Vai's is a pretty big difference.

EDIT - wanted to also explicitly state that I'm not trying to be antagonistic or accusatory here, but rather say more or less this: that a value preposition is going to be different for every different player, and what YOU consider to be the signs of quality in a guitar are going to differ from what others look for. Accordingly, just because you think an AT10P looks cheap doesn't mean it SHOULD be cheap, or that it's no better than a $250 GIO starter set guitar. There's a lot more that goes into it.

One of the best six strings I've ever played is this:

Not mine, alas. Visually, nothing to it - oil finished alder body, matte-finished natural maple neck, two pickups, and a trem. But man, what an ass-kicker of a guitar, and does it ever sound and play spectacularly.
Let's not talk about intangible things because they don't matter. Break things down in cost and then let's talk about what something is worth.

We all know that jems are ridiculously overpriced. I am building one now in a different color scheme, but with all the same or better quality than a Vai DNA model...yet it didn't cost me over 3 grand. It cost me about 1300-1400 complete. That's with everything made in America with exception of the bridge and tuners.

How do they justify the price? What is the REAL cost breakdown. That's all that matters. Not who plays it. Not who thinks this or that....because none of that matters. It's all speculation. What does the labor and materials cost to produce that guitar and put it out the door with the typical extra on top to produce an HONEST profit? And not some holy crap 500 percent markup.

Everyone I purchased my parts from to build mine made a profit...or they wouldn't have done it. Yet still that guitar costs 2000 dollars? How? That's what I want to know. I wont even get into the suhr argument. While I know they are great, they aren't 3500 dollars great either...well not all of them.

This is why I've switched from buying new guitars from Ibanez to buying them used at a far more realistic price, or building them myself.

If I built that particular guitar myself I guarantee the pickups would be more than half the price of the entire guitar and I could do it for a little over 25 percent of that.

If someone can explain to me in dollars cents, and SENSE how that guitar costs 2000 dollars, I'll rethink things. I'm not unreasonable, but I'm definitely no fool either.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5

LOL, where does this lead us to? Pricing is set to a level that the market will take - and it did. So why complain? The AT100 is made in Japan out of fine materials. Can you get an equally looking and closely sounding guitar for a lower price? Yes! Can you get the exact same instrument for a lower price? No! (I am leaving out the AT10P because it is not MIJ).

So where is the point? Btw, compared to the Ibanez M8M the At100 is a bargain.

Tags
andy timmons , at-100 , lonestar , timmons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode