Angled Headstock Opinions & Questions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Angled Headstock Opinions & Questions

I have a JS1000 ( 1998 ) and a 540r, (serial # begins with 8 on neck plate).

The 540r has an Ultra neck with angled headstock.
I like the JS neck much better in terms of the fretboard radius and shape of the neck itself.

The necks are very similar in size (the Ultra is about .5mm thinner). I am wondering about simply re-radiusing the neck and installing stainless steel 6105 frets. I have tendinitis and flatter radius necks are very uncomfortable for me to play. I only paid $400 for the 540r with original hardshell case, which I thought was a steal!

First question......
If it were your neck and you preferred a different radius (due to tendinitis), would you simply change the radius, or would you pay the outrageous prices on flea-bay for a JS1000 neck if one even is available?

Last question.....
I have read a couple of posts on this site that really praise the angled headstock, but did not elaborate as to why it is so much better.

I did not want to hijack anyone else's thread, so I thought I would start a new one.
What is the major difference in terms of playabillity between a straight headstock and an angled headstock if the neck has a locking nut?
I am thinking that the string tension is created between the tremolo and the nut on these guitars, but am wondering if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 AM

Re: Angled Headstock Opinions & Questions

I see no reason why it would be of any benefit with a locking nut in the equation either. Possibly to eliminate the need for a string retainer?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Re: Angled Headstock Opinions & Questions

That's what I thought too, but it still has a string retainer.
The strings still do not pass over the nut at a sharp enough angle to eliminate the retainer.

Maybe it's because there is a little more room (due to the angle) to run the strings through the retainer and into the tuners?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode