Another Beginner - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Another Beginner

I'm a 20 year drummer (i'm 34) and have decided to learn how to play the guitar. I've always loved the guitar and actually have always been more into guitarists than drummers (Vai, E. Johnson, Satriani, Steve Morse, etc.). I don't play in bands anymore and playing the drums alone is getting kinda boring. I love the guitar and it's something I can do at anytime of the day or night unlike the drums :-)

I'm looking to get a guitar in the $300-$400 range and the only thing I know for sure is that I want an Ibanez. I'm going to be pairing it with Roland Micro-Cube as that seems to be one of the best practice/beginner amps. I'm basically a metalhead, but I want to be able to play other styles if need be. I want something that will last me a couple of years until I get a good feel and develop my own style and preferences so that I can invest in a better axe.

I've read so many reviews and opinions over the last couple of weeks that my head is spinning! My main confusion has been over getting something with a tremolo or not. I read all these horror stories about going out of tune, hard to maintain, hard to setup properly, etc. I love tremolos and the versatility that comes with having one. But having never played the guitar before I don't know if I should get one with a trem or not. I have a lot to learn for sure and I don't want to get frustrated with a tremolo and have it prohibit me from learning properly.

What are your opinions on getting something with a fixed bridge or a tremolo? Should I get something really cheap now (under $200) and then move up in a couple of years or is something in the $300-$400 range good to start out with? I have a wife and 2 kids and a limited budget so I don't want to waste my money.

And I definitely want to purchase new, as tempting as used sounds I'd really like to get something new. I don't want to buy used and then end up with something with problems that i'll have to spend more money on. I love warranties :-)

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!

Derrick

Last edited by derrickm; 02-12-2007 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:06 PM

Talking Re: Another Beginner

Be careful if you buy a used one. I am 35 years old and started playing 17 months ago and having a ball. I got screwed form Guitar center they sold me a rg470 and the tag said rg570. and to top it all off the serial # didn't match with the one they put on the reciept. anyway thats in another thread. As far as the trem goes.. I didn't know a thing about them. and I have no problem with it what so ever mine is a lo-trs which they say is crap! but mine does not go out of tune at all. just do a little bit of reading on Ibanezrules.com and you will be set. Go for a trem! I would go with that rg350. That looks killer. I just ordered a Jem from Rich and I can't wait.
\m/
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:15 PM

Re: Another Beginner

I think the RG350 would be a good starting place.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Dee

I'll agree on the 350. It's a pretty decent starting point if you ever feel like upgrading too, you can fit an Original Floyd Rose and better pickups later on but the basic guitar as it comes should be good for a beginner.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:48 PM

I agree with 470tojem, definitely do your research on the different trem options. Jumping into a floating trem right off the bat might be a bit frustrating, so maybe a fixed or standard trem at first might be good. I started with an Ibanez RX20L, and that kind of helped me learn things like intonation and adjusting bridge things.

Also, check the classifieds here, as there are couple of decent things on there. Oh, and you can check your local Craigslist and pawn shops and things. Pawn shops always have treasure they think is just another guitar.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 03:16 PM

IMO it would be better for you to start with a fixed bridge so you can learn the basics properly. Just as an example, guitar basics includes bendings and I have seen a lot of players who started playing with temolo and, as bendings are not the easiest part, they used the trem to do that... believe me, it doesn't sound the same way.
Another example could be plam mute technique which is not easy for beginners with a floating trem.
I would say the RG2EX1 on fixed. EMG's rocks.
On the other hand, It is impossible to play Vai, satriani etc without a trem (a GOOD trem, I would say) and if it is the style you want to play just go for the trem ones (but remember to use it properly). As Markg5150 said, RG350 is a good axe to start.
Good luck and let us know your decission
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 03:27 PM

^^^^ thats the way to go!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

It's funny how everyone is saying the RG350...I absolutely LOVE that guitar! I know I shouldn't judge my purchase on looks but that is one sexy beast!

I was looking on www.******.com and it seems they have a Sam Ash exclusive version.

http://www.******.com/catalog/showit...RCH&GroupCode=

I can't decide which looks better, that one or this regular one:

http://www.******.com/catalog/showit...RCH&GroupCode=

I kinda like the maple fretboard a little more.

I'm probably going to get the 350. I think i'd rather go ahead and learn how to use and setup a trem now. Plus this seems to be a good guitar to upgrade in the future (OFR) and spending a little more later down the road will be easier to convice the wife of rather then spending more now :-)

Last edited by derrickm; 02-12-2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: links
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I can't make the links work above....just change the ****** to sam ash

Sorry
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Reviews: 120

If you are just starting out get yourself one of the fixed bridge versions. You wont be playing any Vai or Satch for a little while so when you are ready you may as well get a guitar with a trem then.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 05:10 PM

Talking Re: Another Beginner

What I did is just left the Trem bar off of the guitar for like the first 9 months. I was learning chords and other things. The last thing I was worried about was the 'Wammy bar" I just saved that for later. Seriously I didn't even put the bar on for 9 months. But I was glad I had it, If you are a little mechanicaly inclined, then go for it. Just do a little reading on setup and you will be ok. If you have setup questions, this site has the best people to give you setup tips. there are so many knowedgable people on this site it is crazy. now go buy that 350 \m/
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 06:07 PM

I say go with the 350 and if you like the maple fretboard better (and I do too) get that one. Good luck!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 06:58 PM

Used RG550

Better yet, I'd get a guitar with a fixed bridge.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150 View Post
I think the RG350 would be a good starting place.
+1 And don't quit on the drum

Last edited by mi2tom; 02-13-2007 at 02:50 AM.

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , fixed bridge , floyd rose , maple fret , maple fretboard , sam ash , steve morse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

which resonator for beginner
which ibanez rg for beginner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode