Another Bridge Question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Another Bridge Question

First Sorry, for another one of these tremolo questions.

I recently picked up a S470 from evilbay, the gentlemen selling it, seem to have a different view on mint condition than i do. Bet he was not polishing his guitar every 3 days like he should have.

Anyway, i have no idea how old the S is really, it was advertised as "i played it for a year or so " but i am pretty sure its way older, it does not have the waivy inlays and also not the zr trem, which brings me to the point.

The trem which is on there is in kinda sad shape, bubbly, screws rusty and stuff and i would like to replace it because it bothers me. Is the ZR tremolo which is in the new S470's fitting in all older ones?

What Trem fits in a S470 without woodwork. I think currently installed is a TRS-2 (from the description found here on the jemsite).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:58 AM

Re: Another Bridge Question

Oh wow....I hope you didn't pay much for that guitar because it sounds like a real POS if you have to replace the trem from the get-go. I don't really know much about retrofitting the ZR to fit in other S guitars because I've not read about anyone here on Jemsite trying it, but I do remember hearing that the OFR will do a direct swap with the Lo-TRS 2 trem (or maybe it was a Lo-Pro Edge or Original Edge). Of course, I heard that about RG's and the S guitars have a thinner body so even then I'm not sure. Guess it's time to do a little research....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:37 AM

Hi,
I have an S470 in which I swapped the TRS for an Edge. All I had to do was a VERY minor routing (used a Dremel actually) on the corners of the top route. It took all of about 15-minutes. I don't have any extra clearance, but all you need is a couple of millimeters. Apparently, the routing is inconsistent though, since others reported that the same conversion required a lot more work. There are lots of old threads related to this topic. Incidentally, what color is your hardware?
Bert
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

thanks first for the answers

I would like to have the zr installed if possible. I figure if it fits the new S should it not also fit the old?

The current hardware i think is called black chrome??
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 08:29 PM

Well, I'm pretty certain that would require a complete filling and reroute of the existing trem cavity and post holes. That would be a prohibitive amount of work and the cost would likely exceed buying a used S470 with the ZR. The ZR is just a radically different design from the Edge/TRS family. Check out the "sticky" thread entitled "New Trems... etc" -- I think there's some discussion there about the different routing and trem placement of the ZR.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 02:20 AM

Lightbulb Re: Another Bridge Question

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the ZR definitely won't direct swap for ANYTHING and having a route done to get one in would be a bit expensive. Best you're going to be able to do is swap out the current trem for an OFR or an Original Edge. Even if there's a little routing involved, it shouldn't be anything near as bad as having to refill in wood and recut it to fit a different trem.

Tags
pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode