Another Crossroads guitar thread - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Another Crossroads guitar thread

Hey. Well, I searched the forum pretty extensively before posting this (because I see how people here hate to talk about the same things more than once )and I didn't see it anywhere else, so here goes:

I just picked up Crossroads on DVD today and was watching the duel and noticed that Steve's (Jack's) guitar is cracked from just below the neck pickup and it runs right down the middle between the pups and continues just above the tremelo. If you pause it right at 1:32 (after Eugene has played his classical stuff and Jack goes to play, there's a closeup of the guitar body and you can see it plain as day. It's pretty nasty looking! I don't see the crack anywhere else before this point, but it's there from here on out. Maybe it's a subtle clue that Jack's confidence has been broken and it's being reflected in his guitar as well...

Or perhaps they had to re-shoot some stuff after he had already dropped the guitar on the stage and it was cracked from that. I dunno. Just thought I'd point that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 08:06 PM

Re: Another Crossroads guitar thread

Duh! Don't you realize it was Steve's incredible SHRED POWERS that split the poor guitar in two???

Another piece of trivia for those of you who may care about such minutia - The reason the "Jackson" logo was blocked was to specifically remove any connections between the Jack Butler and Michael Jackson (very huge at the time)....
ROCK ON!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 08:48 PM

Dagnabit! Now I've got to go buy the DVD and find out for myself.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Gex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybigtime
Duh! Don't you realize it was Steve's incredible SHRED POWERS that split the poor guitar in two???

Another piece of trivia for those of you who may care about such minutia - The reason the "Jackson" logo was blocked was to specifically remove any connections between the Jack Butler and Michael Jackson (very huge at the time)....
ROCK ON!!

But why the hell would anyone connect the two, and whats wrong with MJ anyway?

That was way before the kiddie-diddler years, why would it matter?

I think it was to avoid having to pay some sort of royalty to Charvel/Jackson.

And if you look, it has a Charvel neckplate.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 09:36 PM

Why would a moviemaker have to pay royalties to photograph an item they own? If anything, C/J should be the one paying, for the the free advertising showing the logo would have done.

I think it was to not give away free advertising.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

I saw in another thread somewhere (I'm not sifting through 20,000 posts so...) that Jackson requested the logo not be shown because they didn't want any kind of association with the devil. A strange rumor considering Slayer and Megadeth were Jackson users at one point. (and to avoid any crap, I'm not saying Megadeth is satanic, but at one time there were some pret-ty hellish scenarios in their songs )

SKot
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 11:00 PM

Understandable.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Gex

Ok, THAT makes sense.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 05:55 AM

Well my guess regarding the crack:

As we all know right at the end steve throws his guitar in defeat, possibly the final crossroads take is after he has dropped it a few times? causing cracks to appear? just a thought :P

Learning the solo now
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 08:10 PM

Well I have been wrong before (maybe once or twice), but what I read was information stated as fact - it was not someone just guessing or a rumor.

Either way, Vai's playing definitely blew up the guitar. OK, thread is now settled
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 01:42 PM

Im pretty sure that it was a charvel... read it in a interview with Steve sometime....cant remember when or where.

dudes, the devils guitarist !!!!!!
duh, obviously he was very very not and leeched all of the moisture out of the wood, causing the crack. !
man, you lot are so stupid

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 04:23 PM

'Learning the solo now'

It's definatley worth learning dude, took a while to play up to speed but now i can shred Eugene's Trick bag/Paganini's 5th Caprice like a bugger
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:07 PM

Dudes... it was a Jackson...
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 11:30 PM

Just to let you know that guitar is hanging in a Hard Rock Cafe. I think it was in Houston when I seen it. And if I remeber right it was a Charvel.

Danny
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 01:15 AM

OK, I searched the Internet all friggin night to try and figure this out. Since I read so much minutia about the details of the movie all these years, I was pretty confident about the Michael Jackson story. However, here is what I found - many people have heard the same original story about Michael Jackson not wanting them to use the name "Jackson" in the movie, but don't believe it is actually a true story. It was probably the earliest rumor about the guitar, though. Secondly the argument about Jackson vs Charvel is that it seems the guitar is actually BOTH. On several sites, they detail that the guitar was a red Charvel (that's why the neckplate says Charvel), but Steve had them swap the neck for a Jackson for the movie. So I guess everyone can be kinda right on that one, since it is a hybrid. I hope this is helpful!!

Tags
eric johnson , floyd rose , guitar body , jack butler , jack plate , les paul , neck pickup , scarf joint , strap button , strap buttons , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode