Another Custom PGM! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Another Custom PGM!

Well, I was making 2 custom RBM and a customizing an RT650, but since I didnt want to spend 300 bucks on a Gold Lo Pro Edge (ive got plenty of Lo Pro edge equiped guitars), and I really wanted an RG shaped guitar with a Gibraltar/Les Paul style of bridge..... I decided to go for another Custom PGM

Here are the specs:

Double bookmatched 4 piece 9mm bocote top, mahogany in the middle and boockmatched cocobolo on the back. Purpleheart f holes. Natural oiled finish

Gibraltar/Les Paul style of bridge (im also considering a wood bridge, like some sort of acoustic guitar bridge, probably made of ebony or purple heart), H-H or HSS config. Screaming Demon in the bridge position (havent decided about the rest of the pups yet)

3 piece bocote/granadillo/bocote neck with a cocobolo neck (purpleheart, cocobolo or granadillo dot inlays)

Ill post pics as soon as the body is put toghether (probably next week)

Last edited by RCB; 01-12-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:07 PM

Re: Another Custom PGM!

Awesome news!
Keep it up!
Tiburón brasileño.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 11:08 PM

Thumbs up Re: Another Custom PGM!

You are quite the wood buff! How do you decide what wood to use?
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 11:20 PM

cool man!
looking forward to pics!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Well, I believe the tone of the wood is given by the density and hardness of the wood. The harder the wood, the brighter, and more articulate the tone. So I try to combine some of this tropical harwoods with mahogany, to have a more balanced tone.

THen there are durability considerations.... In this particular guitar, since I wanted an oiled finish I wanted the top and back to be made of ver hard and resistant woods because the edges, the fornt and the back are the places more likely to suffer a scractch or a little bump.

On the neck, I think the use of laminated hard and dense woods helps to attain great stability and sustain.

These woods may not be the most common woods for guitar construction, but I ve found a couple of guitars or basses with bocote tops, and freatboards.

Finally there is the looks.... I love beautifull guitars, so I also choose the woods by their appeal. I dont really know how the the cocobolo back will affect the tone (cocobolo is similar to rosewood), but it looks VERY good! =)

Im not a luthier, but I trust Gabriel a lot, so when I come up with an idea I ask for his opinion, to see if it makes sense.

For instance, I m considering a wood style of bridge, very similar to the ones found on violins. I think that, with the f holes in the PGM, it may work out very cool. It will have a very violin oriented look.

It will be an unpscale guitar version of a violin "looking" bridge. He said he could make it, and that granadillo, cocobolo, purpleheart and ebony (if I recall correctly) are all strong enough. Today Ill search the web and choose the one I think is most suitable.

The f holes are going to be made of purpleheart so the first choice should be also purple hear, but I m not so sure. The pups are going ro be black, so ebony is also a choice..... besides I can make the f holes of ebony.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Well, this projects are advancing at a slow pace, but Ill hope the 3 of them will be finished by the end of next month.

Here are a few pictures. The first one is a pic of the custom RBM, the others (6) are of the custom PGM (that may turn into a custom RG, wich for the moment is looking pretty rough).

I need opinions regarding 2 issues:

1) I may turn the custom PGM into a custom RG. The mods would be:

- Instead of the f holes, I may put 2 stripes of ebony or granadillo across the body (similar to the RGT2020SOL) dividing the outer bookmatch from the inner bookmatch (mostly because the coloour tone of the bocote is different in both bookmatchs so I may want to enfasize that difference in coulours.

- Add a tone control and a go for an HSS configuration (pups are: sreaming demon and 2 fender american standar sigle coils)

Here is the other question:

There is another project going on (customizing an RT650), but I didnt post any pics of it. The original idea was a bird eye maple top with a cocobolo pickguard, although the top in the RBM looks so good that I may go for the same wood....

What do you think? Ive already got the bird eye maple veneer, and it has the advantage that I could go for a transulcent purple finish. On the other hand If I go with the vavona root burl Ill have to go for a translucent red finish. This will be decided today, so If you have an idea, please let me know!

Here are the pics:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v493/RCB/customs/
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:47 AM

I like the idea for the RG, but I'd stay with the HSH pup configuration. I'd also use the maple for the top of the other one, since you could do a purple finish. JMHO!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 11:47 AM

Maaan, you're doing some awesome stuff with those nice woods!
Great job!
Saludos,
Tubarão.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB
SWEET, looking really really good!

Regards

André

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Well, it leaning toward a custom RG, that i will be apropiately calling RGAZTEC, but Ill keep posting the updates under this thread.

The Aztec calendar inlay is among the best inlays I ever seen on any guitar. Turn on the heater and put on your sweater because the pics you ll see are beyond cool! =)

http://photobucket.com/albums/v493/RCB/customs/

Hope you like them!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 09:44 PM

Wow! You guys are making some really nice axe's. Maybe Ibanez should move thier production to Mexico instead
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 09:59 PM

that's a very nice inlay.....
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 10:45 PM

Nothing to say...
STTTTUNNING!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 06:51 PM

WOW, amazing finish!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Thanks. On the freatboard (that will now be made of ebony for better contrast) it will feature small offset stone (malakite) rectangles with the exception of the 1st fret that will have a silver and stone (malakite) eagle warrior head. On the body, below the bridge it will feature a doubeheaded silver and malakite snake. I hope it turns out well!

Tags
acoustic guitar , bridge position , custom rbm , dot inlay , dot inlays , les paul , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode