Another new 2009 J-Custom available: RG8420ZE - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 PM

Re: Another new 2009 J-Custom available: RG8420ZE

I can say first hand that it does NOT feel cheaper. In fact, it feels rather substantial. It holds tune very well, and I haven't heard anybody complain about their EZ breaking on them. Its solid. I DO prefer the Edge Pro, because its an awesome trem, but I don't have any serious complaints about the EZ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

It feels cheaper to me. I tried a couple of the galaxy white RG2550Zs and didn't purchase either because the trem feels (and looks) cheap
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:02 PM

I doubt that there's any way that they've used a cheaper version on the Prestiges than the J-Customs, but I also played a 2550 with the EZ and thought that it was awful... that was my introduction to the EZ. That was also the only bad experience I've had with one.
post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Angels View Post
I can say first hand that it does NOT feel cheaper. In fact, it feels rather substantial. It holds tune very well, and I haven't heard anybody complain about their EZ breaking on them. Its solid. I DO prefer the Edge Pro, because its an awesome trem, but I don't have any serious complaints about the EZ.
ah maybe i was a bit hasty on my comments about the ez trem,i didnt have the rg2550z very long,but it did feel flimsy compared to other trems ive used,maybe i didnt give it a chance.im not keen on prestige series but i really like j-custom's
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Vendor

I've got my list of complaints about the EZ, but bottom line is there's no way they should be putting them on their top shelf guitar line [JC's].
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've got my list of complaints about the EZ, but bottom line is there's no way they should be putting them on their top shelf guitar line [JC's].
you heard it from rich da main man,pay heed
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:23 PM

I feel a bit insulted when i read all the bashing of the EZ bridge. I have been gigging the RG2550 professionally for about 4 months now and i find the bridge VERY COMFORTABLE, VERY EASY TO CHANGE STRINGS, VERY EASY TO SET UP, THE BAR STAYS WHERE I PUT IT, IT NEVER GO'S OUT OF TUNE and THE EXTRA RESISTANCE FROM THE ZERO BAR MAKES FOR MORE AGRESSIVE PLAYING (NICE!!!!).

Then i come on here and someone writes something as stupid as "Oh my! Ibanez, could you please ditch the Edge Zero and go back to Edge pro" followed by "I dont own a EZ but i looked at one in a shop".

I think bashing the EZ is a way for bad guitarists to look like they have a bit of experience
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Vendor

[YAWN]

I just wanted to scream something back.
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 05:16 PM

Reviews: 4

The only use I've found for the Edge Zero is harvesting the arm holders and putting them on my Original Edges.

The Edge Zero now has a use! ("Zero" indicating how much common sense went into the design... Hahahahahha.. ahem..)
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bates View Post
I feel a bit insulted when i read all the bashing of the EZ bridge. I have been gigging the RG2550 professionally for about 4 months now and i find the bridge VERY COMFORTABLE, VERY EASY TO CHANGE STRINGS, VERY EASY TO SET UP, THE BAR STAYS WHERE I PUT IT, IT NEVER GO'S OUT OF TUNE and THE EXTRA RESISTANCE FROM THE ZERO BAR MAKES FOR MORE AGRESSIVE PLAYING (NICE!!!!).

Then i come on here and someone writes something as stupid as "Oh my! Ibanez, could you please ditch the Edge Zero and go back to Edge pro" followed by "I dont own a EZ but i looked at one in a shop".

I think bashing the EZ is a way for bad guitarists to look like they have a bit of experience
Actually, I think the majority of the complaints stem from the quality and the Chinese manufacturing rather than the design.
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 PM

Sigh

Quote:
I feel a bit insulted when i read all the bashing of the EZ bridge.
Why, exactly? If you're insulted by everyone who has a difference of opinion, then stay away from forums.

Quote:
I have been gigging the RG2550 professionally for about 4 months now and i find the bridge VERY COMFORTABLE, VERY EASY TO CHANGE STRINGS,
It's no easier to change strings with the EZ than any other trem, the only trem that could make things easier is the EP for not having to cut away the balls ends.

Quote:
VERY EASY TO SET UP, THE BAR STAYS WHERE I PUT IT,
The intonation is only thing that's "easier" to set up due to an intonation tool (something with can be purchased for the Edge/Lo-Pro, but to be honest, how often does one need to set the intonation?
Plus, the tool is held into the body of the tremolo itself... I mean, come on, it looks like a wart. Couldn't they just include it in the jiffy bag like every other tool? Nope, they were going for a "Non-Common Sense" route. I'd rather take no tool than have that thing on my trem constantly.

The arm holder is the only improvement upon previous trems. I harvest these arms holders and put them on previous (superior) tremolos.

Quote:
IT NEVER GO'S OUT OF TUNE and THE EXTRA RESISTANCE FROM THE ZERO BAR MAKES FOR MORE AGRESSIVE PLAYING (NICE!!!!).
The ZPS bar also makes for a flat return on pull up, ZERO flutter, and more agressive how?

Quote:
Take it from me, Ibanez should ditch the Edge Zero and go back to the Edge Pro, Lo-Pro and Original Edge.

Quote:
I think someone has past thier bed time... (Y)
And I guess that means Rich has less experience than this prodigy!
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Actually, I think the majority of the complaints stem from the quality and the Chinese manufacturing rather than the design.
The design I find is on par with the Chinese manufacturing. (Not good).
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 AM

I understand that Rich has experience with trems and Rich always gives reasons for his complaints. Lets not confuse the constuctive critics with the random bashing. My gripe is with people who just say "ditch the edge zero" without even owning or spending time with one.

I dont mind opinion, hence the reason i read the forum but when i see the random bashing of the EZ it makes me feel insulted because i paid a lot of money for the 2550. It feels like people are saying ive done my money on a pile of **** when really i want to feel quite chuffed with getting a nice guitar.
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:27 AM
Vendor

I can understand your point. There will always be those that just "pile on" without having any actual experience. And you're free to love your trem and your guitar. In fact I'm delighted that you do. You paid good money for it and you should be proud of your purchase.

That said, I still wish they'd go back to the EP for Prestige and above. The EZ would make a nice trem to use on the Indo models. It's definitely an improvement over the Edge3 IMO
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 04:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
I understand that Rich has experience with trems and Rich always gives reasons for his complaints. Lets not confuse the constuctive critics with the random bashing. My gripe is with people who just say "ditch the edge zero" without even owning or spending time with one.

I dont mind opinion, hence the reason i read the forum but when i see the random bashing of the EZ it makes me feel insulted because i paid a lot of money for the 2550. It feels like people are saying ive done my money on a pile of **** when really i want to feel quite chuffed with getting a nice guitar.
yeah i can see where ya coming from.the way to look at it bates is if you like your rg2550z well take no notice of the folk who dont like the rg2550z (me included) and the ez trem its just other folks opinions.honestly i didnt like the rg2550z i just didnt take to the guitar the tone was my main quarm and i wasnt that fussed on the trem.i changed the ibanez/dimarzio pups for evo's and that was just as bad 200 down the drain+30 to get em fitted.like i said its just other folks opinions,you enjoy your guitar mate

Tags
j-custom , rg8420 , rg8420fe , rg8420zd , rg8420ze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode