Another Noob question - how much should I spend? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Another Noob question - how much should I spend?

Here's my situation. I am currently learning on an acoustic. (my wife's guitar, which is just a basic country style acoustic, from her youth. So I didn't even have to BUY a guitar yet. ). I plan to graduate myself to an electric after learning some basics. If I can keep with it and stay motivated for at least 4-6 months, my plan is to buy myself an electric as a self-reward. (and I'll get into the associated accessories for "effects" of course).

I'm 99.99% sure I want to buy Ibanez. I just love the way their guitars look, the pricing seems reasonable, and my two favorite guitarists fully endorse them (Joe & Steve of course).

So... given I am in the right place to be discussing Ibanez guitars with other Ibanez fans, my question is:

How much should I spend for my first electric? My ultimate dream guitar that I'm drooling over is a JS1200 (in that awesome candy apple red), and that's actually not out of reach of my financial means (assuming they are ~$1500-ish to buy new, give or take a bit). However, should I start myself off with a guitar in the ~$500 range, or maybe in the ~$1000 range, first? (And step it up later on...)

I've heard two sides previously (from friends, coworkers, etc.). One argument says don't go nuts on expensive gear before you've established yourself in the hobby. The other side says don't "cheap out". Buy something that has enough quality and comfort that it makes picking it up and playing it a joyful experience which will keep you coming back for more.

What's reasonable?

I appreciate your insights. Thanks.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Dee

Re: Another Noob question - how much should I spend?

If you are sure you wanna stick with playing, get the best guitar you can afford. Why not?
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 01:18 PM

Well if you go too cheap you'll regret it. If you really like the JS1200, and it is within your means, then get it. Well, actually, trying playing it first. Then if you still like it, get it. If you do end up losing interest, it will have a better resale value than some cheaper guitars.
I wouldn't worry about taking steps in quality of guitars. Get the best quality of guitar you can get, because you want a guitar that will inspire you to continue playing. I've played off and on for 12 years now, and I'm fully convinced that I would have played a lot more over those 12 years if I would have had a quality instrument instead of the cheapest acoustic you can buy.
If you don't have a stigma attached to buying used, you could try that route to save yourself a little money. I always check places like Daddy's and Music Go Round for good deals.
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 01:30 PM

I was in pretty much the same situation last year. I thought I would get a combo pack from a reputable company to begin with. I ended up spending a little less than $600 for an Ibanez ARC100BS and a Line 6 Spider II 112 amp. The amp was a bit of a splurge but it was on sale and it has a lot of onboard toys to play with. If I had gone with a standard ten-watt practice amp, I would have basically had a self-built "combo pack" with a much nicer guitar than you typically see, for only about $125 more.

So I would go with the middle-of-the-road approach. Definitely don't "cheap out." But usually, guitarists' preferences and tastes develop along with their skills, and buying too expensive an instrument too soon is risky. In my humble opinion, $500 to $700 will buy you a really nice guitar and amp that will serve your needs for a long time. If your budget is $1000, you'd be better off buying a guitar and amp for $500 each than getting a thousand-dollar axe.

(in the interest of complete and full disclosure, I just bought a 20th anniversary RG, which is beyond my current musical ability. But I just had to have it. I think the folks on this board will understand, though . . .)
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
If you are sure you wanna stick with playing, get the best guitar you can afford. Why not?
I'm with Dee, get the best you can afford.

If your're into Vai/Satch get a RG1570 if new, or maybe a second hand JS1000. You won't regret it and it'll motivate you to develop and improve.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

The RG1570 is a tempting suggestion.

Does anyone have some good pictures of that guitar in the MRR (mirage red?) color? I've seen lots in the MRB (blue) color. Most of the pics I've seen of the MRR just look black, but those shots are usually not well lit (like the catalog pic, for example). I'd really like to see how much red comes out in different lighting.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 02:21 PM

The 1570 finishes don't photograph well. They are actually really sparkly and nice

Check the Ibanez site or Ibanezrules (banner at the top)
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 02:32 PM

Get the best guitar you can get for what you're willing to spend. I agree that you shouldn't cheap out. You'll end up fighting against the instrument if you go cheapo, and you won't enjoy the experience as much. Get something that's quality that's going to be easy to play, doesn't have to be re-tuned every five minutes, and will make your learning much more pleasant. If you only want to spend $500, then maybe look at getting a used Japanese made RG and spend a little getting it properly set up. If money really is no object, then sure, get a new Japanese RG like the 1570, and still get it set up properly (call Rich). There's really no need to go whole hog and get a JS1200 or a J-Custom right out of the box, unless you just want to. Get something decent, and if you decide to stick with it, THEN get the JS1200 and you'll enjoy it that much more.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Dee

I don't see the point of buying a guitar and then buying another one later. Why not just get the best you can right off the bat? If you really want that JS you're just gonna be thinking about it all the time until you get it.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I don't see the point of buying a guitar and then buying another one later. Why not just get the best you can right off the bat? If you really want that JS you're just gonna be thinking about it all the time until you get it.
+1
He says he likes the JS1200 and it is in his price range. Why is everyone telling him not to get it?
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
and still get it set up properly (call Rich).
What exactly does that entail? Shipping my guitar to/from him (or actually buying it from him)? Or can I get this "set up" done from a local Ibanez-selling music shop?

Thanks.
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 02:46 PM

People generally say to start on something cheap when it's a kid thats starting, as they usually change their mind every 5 minutes and usually lack the dedication required once they realize it's hard work and effort!! As you are older (going by your wife comments!) then you are more likely to know that you will give it a go and not just let it be a "5 minute wonder". So if you are serious then by all means get the best you can afford and something you actually want. Lifes too short to waste time

(and before any of our dedicated youngsters on here chime in....i did say "usually". I know that there are some very commited and talented younger members on here!!)
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 02:53 PM

I agree with everyone who says just get the JS if that's what you want and are able to spend that much. However, if you end up on a budget, there are tons of guitars that should make you happy in the $400 to $600 range. For example, if you really like the JS, you might try to get a radius. The bodies a very similar and can usually be had for something in that range. I've got a few, and I love them.
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 03:16 PM

Personally I'd just look at what I could afford and then go out and get the best for my money (as long as I was sure I wanted to stick at whatever it was, in this case guitar).
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 05:16 PM

bro go for it! the js1200 is real versatile, so even if your influences and interests do change (musically) from blues to heavy metal, it will still deliver.

and even if you lose interest in the guitar (which you wont, with a guitar like that) its still gona look amazing in your living room!

Tags
access neck joint , acoustic guitar , candy apple red , dave mustaine , electric guitar , fret level , guitar shop , heavy metal , ibanez guitars , iron maiden , les paul , marty friedman , neck joint , peavey valveking , playing guitar , practice amp , squier strat , squire strat , valve king , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode