Another One not coming to America - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Another One not coming to America

http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_de...380&color=CL01

Ibanez SA560

I think this is pretty damm awesome.

Who decides to not sell this in US? If your going to build it, why not sell it everywhere you can?
Leviathus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 03:30 AM

Re: Another One not coming to America

Pretty cool, nice find!

Also, holy mother of bindings, if you thought the UV777BK was overkill...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Hoshino USA decides not to sell it in the USA, they have someone who decides what they think will sell to US markets, won’t interfere with the sale of similar products and won’t clog up inventory.

I’d expect they think this won’t sell in the USA and would compete directly with some of the new AZ series guitars.
jemsite likes this.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Seems ridiculous. Now if I want it, I have to pay as much as a Prestige to get it over here. It’s not like it was 20 years ago when the internet didn’t exist and you only knew about what you saw in magazines and guitar stores.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Shouldn’t say the internet didn’t exist then, but it wasn’t what it is now.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 11:49 AM

That guitar looks awesome... Would prefer it to have either a solid bridge or Edge trem w/locking nut, but it's a great looking guitar either way.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:27 PM
site founder 0% owner

What Jono said, it may seem ridiculous but is it really? USA does have two SA models...
Electric Guitars - SA Series - Standard | Ibanez guitars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (31.2 KB, 80 views)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee View Post
Seems ridiculous. Now if I want it, I have to pay as much as a Prestige to get it over here. It’s not like it was 20 years ago when the internet didn’t exist and you only knew about what you saw in magazines and guitar stores.
But if Hoshino USA has to place an order for say 10 (and I'm using round figures there) but thier sales director (or similar) has market research and last year's numbers to indicate that their dealers might be able to sell 2 of them at standard prices before blowing out the rest at cost, meaning they've got capital tied up in inventory that won't move, and dealers are lumbered with guitars that they have to discount heavily to move, why is it rediculous?

Especially when they would really like you to buy a shiny new AZ series that they've put a lot of effort into promoting already...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Obviously someone decided that they wouldn’t sell it here and for probably the reasons that have been mentioned. Not that my post here is going to make someone at Hoshino change their mind, but here’s my argument for the possible reasons brought up.

Yes, their are two other SA’s being sold here. I don’t see what difference that makes. If you’ve already made it then you need to sell it. It’s being sold in every other market that I’ve checked where other SAs are being sold.

They are also selling this guitar everywhere else that they are also selling the AZ, so not sure why that would be a deterrent.

It is a bit of a headscratcher as this model has the rare to Ibanez ebony fretboard, and some other extras you wouldn’t see on a standard model. Binding is everywhere. A little too much for me, but still cool. I’m not a fan of the body’s that don’t seem to match the top of the guitar that Ibanez has been doing a lot of, but it’s not bad on this on this one.

My guess is profit margin is too low by the time they ship it here. The price bump would put it a little closer to the Premium AZs, but those things are listing for $1300-$1400. That’s also another headscratcher as who’s going to pay that for an Indo guitar? Maybe $1000 tops.

Anyway, I’m not sure why the SA doesn’t get any Prestige treatment. The neck profile and thicker S body would’ve also been a good strat or Suhr competitor. Guess it’s never caught on.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
But if Hoshino USA has to place an order for say 10 (and I'm using round figures there) but thier sales director (or similar) has market research and last year's numbers to indicate that their dealers might be able to sell 2 of them at standard prices before blowing out the rest at cost, meaning they've got capital tied up in inventory that won't move, and dealers are lumbered with guitars that they have to discount heavily to move, why is this ridiculous?
Do guitar companies ever ask why a product sold well or did not sell well? This would be part of “market research.” I think understanding your customers is difficult without talking to them directly. (Everyone is allowed on the internet.) Ibanez seems very closed off, not without reason, but they can not learn why a guitar sold poorly if they do not ask people who would know, or have an educated guess. The amount of releasing and discontinuing guitars within the same year seems rather high for a company that has all its “ducks in a row.” Also, your assessment of selling 2 guitars at MAP and 8 at cost seems to be close to the truth.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

I think most sizeable companies that sell something, whether goods or services, have someone whose job it is is to assess what sells and what doesn’t.

I presume that Hoshino USA have someone that speaks to the buyers from the guitar stores and that they have a conversation about what is selling and what is sitting. That’s backed up by what the stores buy this time, compared to what they bought last time.

Don’t forget the internet is full of people who “would 100% buy that if it had ....” someone at most guitar companies is paid to see through that!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think most sizeable companies that sell something, whether goods or services, have someone whose job it is is to assess what sells and what doesn’t.

I presume that Hoshino USA have someone that speaks to the buyers from the guitar stores and that they have a conversation about what is selling and what is sitting. That’s backed up by what the stores buy this time, compared to what they bought last time.

Don’t forget the internet is full of people who “would 100% buy that if it had ....” someone at most guitar companies is paid to see through that!
You are right. Ideally, brand reps. go to stores and discuss what is selling/not selling and who is buying/not buying which products. When done well, the "why" is pretty straightforward (not all the time, but most of the time). The internet is full of a lot of people saying a lot of things and that is where companies are doing their market research and making a lot of their sales. (So I'm told.) Seeing through what people say is only useful if you know when you've found something meaningful. "Money talks" which is why I think it pays to talk directly to the people spending the money.

I am not suggesting this is easy to do tactfully either, quite the opposite. However, if you were able to ask someone why they just spent $2000+ on a guitar, right after they bought it, I doubt their response would be, "because now it comes in blue!" I think you would get the most sincere and useful answer you are ever likely to get.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 04:54 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
You are right. Ideally, brand reps. go to stores and discuss what is selling/not selling and who is buying/not buying which products. When done well, the "why" is pretty straightforward (not all the time, but most of the time). The internet is full of a lot of people saying a lot of things and that is where companies are doing their market research and making a lot of their sales. (So I'm told.) Seeing through what people say is only useful if you know when you've found something meaningful. "Money talks" which is why I think it pays to talk directly to the people spending the money.

I am not suggesting this is easy to do tactfully either, quite the opposite. However, if you were able to ask someone why they just spent $2000+ on a guitar, right after they bought it, I doubt their response would be, "because now it comes in blue!" I think you would get the most sincere and useful answer you are ever likely to get.
Absolutely. Does ibanez even have a product registration form with model-specific questionnaire to get great customer data (and reward them with a giveaway or coupon or something?). That is sooooo easy and beneficial. Send a pack of picks or something after registering with a useful survey. The website link fails
http://www2.ibanez.com/support/warranty

One thing that seems very clear is that Ibanez is not well engaged with customers. What is their relationship to the player? Is there one? Their "customer engagement" to me seems to be finding "endorsers" to cross promote. Look no further than this thread.... in 30 days will be read by people collectively who have owned own several hundreds or more Ibanez guitars. Yet Ibanez gleaned what tangible customer directly from these players? This is nothing short of amazing to see in 2018.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:14 PM

^^^

Well said Glenn, I ordered a RG550PN a couple of weeks ago and I'm nervous if I'm really going to like the it feels and plays. I've been a die hard Ibanez guy for a long time (especially Jem's) but there just not putting out the quality or what I (Steve) wants in the at least the Jem line. Ibanez (Steve) has gone back to the "old" square heal joint that has really turned me off to buying any new Jem in the last (how many) years? Lower priced one's? WITH and AANJ, BUT bogus trems, bad QC, lame colors, and cheap (or the same pups) That's why I went to Jacksons and (dare I say) PRS...........
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:48 PM

I don't think Americans would really buy that model. I know we wouldn't really bother carrying it as abalone is very 2004.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode