Another Passion & Warfare Swirl from Sims Custom Shop - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:43 AM

Re: Another Passion & Warfare Swirl from Sims Custom Shop

Looks great to me...lots of detail!
Whats the Body/Neck orginally?
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:44 AM

I don't mean to be rude, but I dislike it. The swirls are too tight for these colors and the colors are not evenly distributed. I do like the other ones very much though, good job!!!
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore
Looks great to me...lots of detail!
Whats the Body/Neck orginally?
Jem Replacement Body, Real JEM neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep
I don't mean to be rude, but I dislike it. The swirls are too tight for these colors and the colors are not evenly distributed. I do like the other ones very much though, good job!!!
The real swirled JEMS didn't always have even color distrubution either......I think this is about as close as anyone could possibly get to the look of a factory Ibanez swirl, period. (Besides Darren)

Last edited by PatrickSimsCustomShopUSA; 07-21-2006 at 01:52 AM.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 02:00 AM

I like it. I'd like it a little better if the swirl "flowed" a little better. BTW, how well is the paint going to stay on a painted pickguard?
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
I like it. I'd like it a little better if the swirl "flowed" a little better. BTW, how well is the paint going to stay on a painted pickguard?
Thanks! Glad you like it.

Its going to stay REAL good considering I sanded it REAL good, put an adhesion promoter on the pickguard and primed it. How good does the paint stay on a bumper on a car, or mirrors on a car, or a street bike, their plastic too. So to answer your question the paint will stick fine and will last just as long as the paint on the rest of the guitar.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 02:47 AM

I love it!!! I'm getting a swirl done by my friend right now, I hope it's as good as yours...
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 02:54 AM

I'm loving these nightly swirl posts. Ok, so what is there left to do...Orange Multi....GMC....have we don a PMC yet?

But seriously, I think it's a nice swirl. The only thing I notice was that the yellow was not quite as vibrant. I don't know, i'm still so caught up in the "Starry Night" swirl. I think that may very well be my favorite swirl, next to the DNA's. One things for sure, it's going to be a tough act to follow.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 03:11 AM

Absolutely beautiful.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Holiday
I'm loving these nightly swirl posts. Ok, so what is there left to do...Orange Multi....GMC....have we don a PMC yet?

But seriously, I think it's a nice swirl. The only thing I notice was that the yellow was not quite as vibrant. I don't know, i'm still so caught up in the "Starry Night" swirl. I think that may very well be my favorite swirl, next to the DNA's. One things for sure, it's going to be a tough act to follow.
The yellow is not vibrant b/c there is VERY little yellow in it, actualy the yellow has somewhat mixed into the rest of the colors. The main colors were Black, Green, Pink, White and like I said very very little yellow. Still, its pretty darn close. I'm actually photoshopping the Steve Vai picture above right now as we speak and putting my guitar in his hands......wait til you see it, its looks practically just like the one he's holding, I guarantee you I could have done it and posted it and no one would have even realized the swirl was different, its that close.

The late night swirls are almost over. I just got a few bodys left to swirl, and I got some customer guitars, basses, and necks I need to finish by Monday.

I have already done a GMC but I don't have pics of it. I plan on doing some more GMC's, an Orange and Black swirl, a Yellow and Black swirl, Blue & White swirl, Black & White swirl, Red & White swirl, a Blue Black White and Green swirl, and of course some more PAW's within the next month or so.

Last edited by PatrickSimsCustomShopUSA; 07-21-2006 at 07:04 AM.
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
I love it!!! I'm getting a swirl done by my friend right now, I hope it's as good as yours...
Post pics of it when you get it back, I'd like to see it!
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:57 AM

Well done, you cracked the code on that swirl. Will you post all these on your site as soon as they get final clearcoat? Id love to see the finished product.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS
The yellow is not vibrant b/c there is VERY little yellow in it, actualy the yellow has somewhat mixed into the rest of the colors. The main colors were Black, Green, Pink, White and like I said very very little yellow.
Gotcha.
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Yea I will post the final pictures of it as soon as its all done. But that could be a while, I gotta clear it, buff it, then get a new ste of pickups (B/c these are the ones I use for mocking up guitars) have it wired, set up, etc etc.....I'd say it'll be a month or longer before I have it totally finished (working in my spare time on it), but rest assure it will be prefect when its done.

In my honest opinion I actually think the colors and the swirl looks better than the original one when you look at the pic where he's holding the original, and the one I photoshopped with him holding mine.....The swirl on the original one is too strait, especially if you look at the area behind the tremelo and the uppper horn, don't get me wrong, its still a bad guitar and one of my favorites, but I just like the look, the swirl, and the colors better are mine, and I'm honestly not just saying that b/c its one I did. I actually think it looks like a factiry Ibanez swirl done in the early 90's........and thats hard to replicate.
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:07 AM

No offense, but I think these swirls are too "busy". Like C.Thep said, the swirl is too tight (in our opinion) but there again it doesn't look bad or anything.

It's your own style I guess
Closed Thread

Tags
atd swirl , atd swirls , custom shop , direct mount pickups , herc fede , herc swirl , jem neck , mount pickups , sims custom , sims custom shop , steve vai , swirled jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode