Another Thread About Tremolo Stability - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Another Thread About Tremolo Stability

Hello folks, yet another thread about the Edge 3's tuning stability.

While on my vacation in California, I was looking for some Ibanez standard guitars. However, I found out that the new 2015 versions had been fitted with disgusting "STD. DL" bridges. So, as I covered about 70miles radius going from store to store, I found a used 300$ RG420CM from 2014.

The thing's beautiful and has no scratches or dents whatsoever. It's in pristine condition. I came back to South Korea and I changed the strings to 10s and set everything up all nicely (proper angle and everything). The trem really wouldn't go out of tune, no matter how hard I tried.

After two days , I took off the locking nut things to adjust let the strings stretch and all. However, after securing them back on, I found that the tremolo would go flat when dropped and sharp when pulled. I noticed that whenever I pushed down on the strings behind the nut, it would go sharp. My teacher's advice was to really tighten the locks, and that solved that problem. However, it would seriously not stop detuning when the trem was used.

I've pretty much searched all the forums and threads I could find but none of the answers really helped, as they all talked about setting a proper angle or positioning the nut locks correctly. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 08:28 AM

Re: Another Thread About Tremolo Stability

Check the knife edges for wear. If they look ok, put a little chapstick or vaseline on them to keep them moving smoothly. I use it on mine and so far I'm going on around 7 years strong with no tuning issues with it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Banned

Re: Another Thread About Tremolo Stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoLyle View Post
I noticed that whenever I pushed down on the strings behind the nut, it would go sharp. My teacher's advice was to really tighten the locks, and that solved that problem. However, it would seriously not stop detuning when the trem was used.
It might be you didn't tighten the pad bolts too well. You should tighten them using preferably only two fingers, and not applying excess force. When tightened, you should be able to "strum" the strings behind the nut, then push the trem all way down, and strum them again, you should hear no loss in "pitch". They should retain all their tension. If this is so, your nut is good.

Another thing to consider : Did you play around with the saddles? A slipping saddle might start moving, causing an out of tune guitar. Again be careful while tightening those as they are more sensitive than the nut threads.

Lots of people whined about the edge-zero II, now I see most people wanting it back.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Another Thread About Tremolo Stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
It might be you didn't tighten the pad bolts too well. You should tighten them using preferably only two fingers, and not applying excess force. When tightened, you should be able to "strum" the strings behind the nut, then push the trem all way down, and strum them again, you should hear no loss in "pitch".

Another thing to consider : Did you play around with the saddles? A slipping saddle might start moving, causing an out of tune guitar.

Lots of people whined about the edge-zero II, now I see most people wanting it back.
The pad bolts are worn I think. The first time I took em off they were really in there and it took quite a bit of force to unscrew (with a hex key). I looked under the pads and they had very subtle lines of wear. I tightened them with two fingers as you said and there was a loss in pitch.

As for the saddles, I had to tighten them a tad (I mean a small amount) as I put 10s on the guitar and I've heard of the tension difference making the saddles slide or sometimes jerk forward with trem use.

Thanks to you, now I know it's the bolt's problems. Instead of ordering new ones (would be pretty hard where I live), do you know of anything I can do to them to improve the grip they have of the strings?

Tags
set up , tremolo , tuning stability

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode