another Vinnie Moore project :) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

another Vinnie Moore project :)

Too many posts around so let me post my project

On July 2014 I completed the project of trying to recreate a Vinnie Moore model. Over that period I created a blog with all the steps, from choosing a mahogany model, buying the parts(things like, using a non locking Floyd Rose just like one of his prototypes), modifications, painting and assembly. Unfortunately I made the blog in my native language (Brazilian Portuguese), but it's well documented with pictures and the history.

It took me years from dreaming to completing this project, lots of trials and errors, but I think it came out great!

In case you guys are interest in checking it out, here's the address:

LINK: http://www.ibanezproject.wordpress.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:23 PM

Re: another Vinnie Moore project :)

Wow, That is awesome. so you went all out and basically got everything exact from the AANJ neck to the trem. What about the pickups? they look different, I didin't read your page because of the language difference.

I was concerned about painting the back of the neck, I didn't know how that would affect playing. What kind of finish is on the white on the back of the neck?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks LMDave!! the SA260fm was the closest model model that I found that had a mahogany body. I tried my best to copy the specs and I wasn't too keen on doing it on a basswood body, the other option would be a JS600 (I think), but that would be too expensive for a project.

For pickups I got the Dimarzio Double Whammy(DP150) on the bridge, but search'd high & low for a Al Dimeola(DP202) and never found an used one, that's the only compromise I made. The closest pickup I found was the Air Norton, but it uses different poles. If I ever found an used dp202 I'll put it in the tribute

I asked the guy who did the paint job for a non glossy finish on the neck. It turned out great

the project was completed with locking tuners and some top quality pots and switch.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 07:58 PM

Nice job. Glad to see another Vinnie fan doing a similar project.

I actually did my white one a long time ago (at least 10 years ago) but used crappy paint, and the post i did was my recent reattempt at the project using proper paints this time. Also the first time i only did white, and this time while i was at it decided to do a second one (splatter) at the same time. I considered going all the way like you with the Floyd Rose with no fine tuners, Spurzel locking tuners etc. but decided to keep it simple. Since i have the real VM1 i didn't obsess too much about getting things perfect. I really like what you've done. Now you just need to a Splash

Regarding the neck -- yes the production model had the back of the neck painted white, but I don't think Vinnie's original did. I may be wrong but as you probably know this isn't the only difference between Vinnie's guitar and the production model. for exampe vinnies had double whammy/al demeola vs. two double whammy's, floyd rose vs. edge II tremolo, mini dots vs. big dots (on the white guitar, his splatter had the big dots like the production model).

Not sure about his white guitar, but if you look closely at the splatter guitar it looks like the back of the neck may not be painted white. I'll have to go back and watch the two instructional videos to see if you can tell in those.

Last edited by pwsusi; 09-11-2015 at 08:12 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 11:51 AM

That's cool you pointed that out about the neck not white on the splatter. It didn't look right anyway with the off white body. Now since I only have on Double Whammy pickup, I wonder if I should try and find an Al Demeola pick up instead of another double whammy....im sure they will both sound awesome.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 12:34 PM

Yeah, you probably can't go wrong either way. I kept it simple and just bought 2 double whammy from the same seller...but if you want to go for Vinnie's specs then definitely see if you can find a Dimeola.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMDAVE View Post
That's cool you pointed that out about the neck not white on the splatter. It didn't look right anyway with the off white body. Now since I only have on Double Whammy pickup, I wonder if I should try and find an Al Demeola pick up instead of another double whammy....im sure they will both sound awesome.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 AM

ibzbr,
i was looking at your site where you explained how you created the headstock logo. Given the language translation I'm really not able to follow it that well. It sounds like you silk screened the logo on? Can you please explain the process and what materials/equipment you used?

Thanks,
Paul
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

sure Paul, the whole headstock process went this way

I vectorized the logo on Corel Draw, it took me a few days to nail it since I tried to recreate the logo off the original SA, I was aware of the differences between the logos on the prototype and on the regular VM's production model, but my intentions was that the logo would look exact the same, as if it was painted by Ibanez themselves. I sent the file to a place and they develop a silk screen, and when I sent the guitar to the painting company I brought that screen that was really meticulous on proportions and details. A few weeks later when I picked it up the whole guitar refinished, the painter said he tried to apply the logo using my screen, but somehow it ended up smearing and then he used one of his screens (that was off proportions and missing the seriff of the I), full of anxiety I accepted the oversized binding he did and the fugly logo, took it home, bought a painting gun, paints and clear, sanded it down to primer, sent the logo to a printing shop to get a decal (I kind dislike decals on headstocks, but was willing to accept it), and tried to refinish the headstock at home, It was turning out great (tried my best to learn about wet sanding and painting), but I tried to speed up the process and improvised a curing/greenhouse room with some bulbs and it ended up tearing the layers of paint and clear, then I gave up trying to do it myself and took that meticulous silk screen to another luthier that repainted and applied the logo. This time I simplified and asked not to do the white binding. I can live without it
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 09:17 AM

The hardest part of this project is trying to get your hair like that.
Finding those boots might prove difficult too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

hahahahahahhaha, maybe on someone's attic in a small town out there, maybe we can find a few N.O.S. cans of Aquanet ahahahahah (expired about 25 years ago hahahahaha)

Tags
vinnie moore mod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode