Any Carvin fans in here? - Page 6 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:58 PM

Re: Any Carvin fans in here?

Well, For a long time I used an MTS3200 head with 2 matching Carvin 4x12's. That head got a ton of use but after 7 years the transformer went on it and I ended up buying a different amp. But while it lasted, it was great. Also had a Legacy but I always liked the sound of the MTS a lot more.
As for guitars...Last year I had ordered a DC125. It arrived and the build quality was superb. I'm glad they have the 10 day trial period because I sadly sent it back. I could not get used to the neck profile. It was just too thick for me to get used to. It's too bad because it had amazing tone and it had a quality feel to it that put so many other guitars to shame. They offer radius choices but no neck profile choice. If they had a thin neck option I'd order another. So as for a recommendation, If you love your wizard 1 neck, you probably won't dig the Carvin neck too much but if you like thicker necks there's no way you could be disappointed in one of Carvins guitars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:58 PM

How does a 6-string carvin neck compare to a fender strat? On my quest for a new guitar, Carvin popped out as a possibility and would like to know if the neck is similar to a strat, which is my present and only guitar
post #78 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 02:50 PM

its not even thick (neck wise), just compared to the Wizard necks it is.

I love my carvin necks, best neck feel IMO. but thinner than a C-shape fender strat neck. I compare them to Jacksons.
post #79 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 03:20 PM

Sounds good...Though I am looking into getting a 7-String, so I think this would be kind of a moot point.
post #80 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 PM

What carvin model does MacAlpine play?
post #81 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 PM

I just snagged a lefty ate 80's DC200 (OFR, pointy) on the auction site, can't wait to get it.
post #82 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:21 PM

I always thought Carvin made beautiful guitars. I always drool over the finishes when I get the catalogs. Never had a chance to play one though. Maybe someday.
post #83 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:43 PM

Reviews: 6

Love them! I got an uber rare DC200 (pointy) with custom marquetry of a serpent on the body, only found 1 other like mine online, emailed carvin and they said it was never mass produced (don't know if he is BS'ing me but till this day haven't found many like this out there).. apart from looks plays super sweet and the neck is perfect!
post #84 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:44 PM

Thumbs up Re: Any Carvin fans in here?

Here's Mine!!

post #85 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:24 PM

Nice looking guitar but I don't think that it is right how the strings are off center towards the high E side. Is that just the angle of the pics that makes it look like that?
post #86 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:31 PM

I can assure you the strings are definitely NOT off centre.....prob my crappy Camera! LOL!
post #87 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 06:27 PM

Okay just checking. Prolly just the angle the pictures were taken. I've seen too man yguitars lately with the string falling off the high E side... It's becoming a pet peeve!
post #88 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Yeah! I used to have a rare neck thru 25.5" scale with Koa neck and sides( Carvin LS-175 H-S-H) that was very versatile- did lots of Strat and other tones with awesome sustain.

I now have a Koa body Bolt with Maple neck which is extremely resonant and very good sustain-more than I expected from a Bolt on guitar.

The tones and finish and fretwork are on par with the very top boutique Strat builders and the thing rings very loud unplugged like a thin semi hollow- does great fatter Strat tones and more with H-S-S.

The profile on the neck is a medium C( larger than an "Even C Slim " from Suhr )- I have the 14" radius and it's sooo nice- no deadspots on the ebony board - etc.

Carvin has Improved the neck joints on the Bolt ons lately( rounded joint for better upper fret access) and they've always been super precise in construction and fretwork.( look at the pictures- they are ALL this precise).

Judging from the pictures I see they are still improving the wood that they use which was already excellent before!Upgrading to a Mahogany or Koa body is really cheap as well-

I haven't played Fenders lately but the Carvin nut width is comparable to the Strats that are 1.6875 "
wide at the nut- a bit wider than the EJ for example which is 1.650"- the strings always align on Carvins and there's NO ROOM for a shim in the neck pocket on their Bolt ons , they are tight.

Last edited by robertkoa; 03-16-2010 at 06:01 PM.
post #89 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 01:55 PM

Reviews: 3

That semi-hollow looks awesome. My main guitar (an extremely far cry from my 550 and RS 400) is a Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean. It just has the meatiest, most full tone I've ever heard. Would you say the same about the Carvin?
post #90 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkoa View Post
Yeah! I used to have a rare neck thru 25.5" scale with Koa neck and sides( Carvin LS-175 H-S-H) that was very versatile- did lots of Strat and other tones with awesome sustain.

I now have a Koa body Bolt with Maple neck which is extremely resonant and very good sustain-more than I expected from a Bolt on guitar.

The tones and finish and fretwork are on par with the very top boutique Strat builders and the thing rings very loud unplugged like a thin semi hollow- does great fatter Strat tones and more with H-S-S.

The profile on the neck is a medium C( larger than an "Even C Slim " from Suhr )- I have the 14" radius and it's sooo nice- no deadspots on the ebony board - etc.

Carvin has Improved the neck joints on the Bolt ons lately( rounded joint for better upper fret access) and they've always been super precise in construction and fretwork.

Judging from the pictures I see they are still improving the wood that they use which was already excellent before!Upgrading to a Mahogany or Koa body is really cheap as well-

I haven't played Fenders lately but the Carvin nut width is comparable to the Strats that are 1.6875 "
wide at the nut- a bit wider than the EJ for example which is 1.650"- the strings always align on Carvins and there's NO ROOM for a shim in the neck pocket on their Bolt ons , they are tight.
I have a CT6 with Koa neck and body, have to say I love the look and sound of that guitar.

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , body shape , carvin bolt , carvin guitars , coil mode , coil tap , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , dimarzio pups , double neck , flame maple , flame maple neck , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , graphite nut , ibanez guitars , jackson dinky , john suhr , kahler trem , local music store , locking nut , locking tuners , maple neck , music store , norton neck , schaller floyd rose , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , string thru body , truss rod , truss rod cover , truss rod covers , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in