Any companies making 7 string acousitcs? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Any companies making 7 string acousitcs?

Are there any companies out there that make 7 string classical or acoustic guitars? I thought it might be a cool thing to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 04:03 PM

Ibanez. makes a 7-string acoustic.

Frameworks Guitars. makes a nylon-string 7.

Smaller boutique luthiers will make just about anything.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 05:38 PM

benedetti, i think thats the right name, make jazz semi hollows i believe: i saw one in the fender frontman 2002.
ok its not an acoustic guitar...
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 06:07 PM

personally, I would rather have an Electric 7 string with a piezo
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 06:29 PM

who wants to trade my 2027 for a UV MC?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam669
benedetti, i think thats the right name, make jazz semi hollows i believe: i saw one in the fender frontman 2002.
ok its not an acoustic guitar...
It's Benedetto, and they are kinda pricey. Like up to 15k pricey.

jim
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 12:24 PM

many, many luthiers and builders make 7 strings now. Here's a brief list of the ones whom I believe make acoustics.

LA Guitar Factory - Charlotte, NC

Buscarino Guitars - Western NC
-does have a classical model available in 7 strings. A former student of Benedetto

American Archtops - somewhere in PA
-arched top acoustic guitars, also a former student of Benedetto

Benedetto Guitars (as mentioned above)

For an acoustic 7 string, I'd recomend getting the Ibanez (though I've had my share of problems with it), and then getting it professionally set-up for action and intonation. I'm still having problems with dynamics (string to string) when using the pickup, which I've had replaced at least once allready. If you want a more thorough list of problems I've had with the guitar, you can either send me a PM or check some of my topics on the issues.

Hope this helps,
Bennett
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trajectory fish
For an acoustic 7 string, I'd recomend getting the Ibanez (though I've had my share of problems with it), and then getting it professionally set-up for action and intonation.
i had to have a high fret dead spot taken down and they also redid the intonation, all under the lifetime Ibanez warranty. it's a decent acoustic but not a great one, but i think that's the best you can expect from a company that specializes in electric guitars.

one note -- the nut width is smaller than the standard Ibanez electric 7 string nut width. if you have really thick fingers like i do, this may cause you some playing problems.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 02:09 PM

I recently had some intonation work done on my AJ307's bridge saddle, and it improved the playability immensely. Once i settle on a string gauge (i'm about to try a medium D'Addario set with a .070 low B) i'll get a properly compensated saddle made.

The big problem with the low B is that unless you have a long scale length, there are so many overtones on that sucker that it's hard to get it to intonate properly. The fundamental just isn't strong enough.

Overall, it's a good guitar for the money. It could have a bit more projection, given the size of the body, but it's got a decent tone.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 02:12 PM

Which reminds me, Alvarez used to make a baritone acoustic, but I think they discontinued it. Mike Mushok of Staind got one they had lying around their factory or something.

I wonder if they (or anyone else) would do an acoustic baritone 7-string...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Darren, I guess your right about the low B problems. When I owbed my six string bass (big mistake) the low B sounded like loud nothingness. It was really hard to really hear it clearly. I odn't own it anymore though so I 'm won't worry about it too much.

Tags
acoustic guitar , electric guitar , mike mushok , string acoustic , string bass , string nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode