Any difference between regular S and S with flamed maple? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Any difference between regular S and S with flamed maple?

I've been wanting a late 80's/early 90's S series for years now - in particular, the flamed maple models caught my eye. I'm finally in a position to buy one at the right price, but I've never had the opportunity to play the FM models. I understand they're slightly thicker due to the maple on the top and back, but is there any audible difference? Will an S540 and S540FMTT with identical electronics sound more or less the same? Is all I'm paying for with the FM cosmetics?

To me, tone and playability are King and Queen. I'm very particular about getting rich, warm, but articulate tone with the ease of playability a thin Fender/PRS/Ibanez neck and body have to offer. If, say, I find a solid color S540 in very good condition for $600 and a comparable S540FM for $700-800, should I just go with the S540?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:16 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: Any difference between regular S and S with flamed maple?

my guess... you're paying more for the FM + gold hardware... how can one resist the oval abalone inlays and flame maple? :P
the FM's have very thin veneers on the front and back, so not quite sure if that really adds tone to the guitar; but makes the guitar a tad bit lighter...
$700 - $800 is kinda on the steep side for an FM; unless it's never been played/out of the case for the past 10 - 15 years

For reference, i got my FMTK at the 'bay for $500 shipped w/o a case @year ago. Last week, came across a solid black '95 540 at a pawn shop for roughly the same price... but i'm sure that can be haggled

To answer your question, if there's any difference in tone from the FM to non-FM models, i guess it boils down to the pickups used... so QM's vs IBZ/USA...

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 11-09-2010 at 05:19 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Re: Any difference between regular S and S with flamed maple?

Thanks, reguv, I figured that was the case. I used to be a regular here and was therefore more up on my knowledge of S's than I am now. Those prices I ballpark'd reflect the current going rates on the bay...surprising considering the state of the economy! But I'll keep looking

Tags
s540 , s540fm , s540fmtt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode