Any Ibanez AM/AR (Artist) players here? Need some advice... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Any Ibanez AM/AR (Artist) players here? Need some advice...

I've been working on "rounding out" my collection a bit. I've got a pretty good collection of RG variants (all somewhat different in terms of woods & electronics), but feel like something is missing. I recently got a Casio MG510 MIDI guitar and equipped it with EMG's (89/SA/SA plus SPC & EXG EQ circuits ala David Gilmour), and that's filling the need for a Strat-type guitar quite nicely. However, I still want a little more variation, and I'd like to pick up a couple old Artists to fill the gaps.

First, I'd like to find one of the AM hollowbodies--the smaller bodies (compared to a Gibson ES335) really appeal to me. Based on the specs I've been able to find, I'm most interested in the AM200 and AM205 models. Does anybody here have hands-on experience with either of these?

Also, I've been looking for one of the solidbody double-cutaway Artist models--I really like the look compared to Les Pauls, but think that the AR's would provide a similar tone & feel with a little less weight. I'm having a really hard time finding info on the Artist models, though. Does anybody have any recos on Artist models to look for? I like the specs on the current AR2000, but would also consider some of the older 80's Artists as well (fixed bridge, 2 humbuckers, pref. flamed/quilted maple tops, even better w/ block inlays!).

Thanks in advance for any advice!
--B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 12:55 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Any Ibanez AM/AR (Artist) players here? Need some advice

i have the AM200 & AR2000. Both are highly recommended and "keeper" axes unlike many ibanez rg/jem/etc axes. you can read my hands on reports here
http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_opinion/rev_ax.htm

the ar2000 has discussed a bit the forum but i don't have any links to a reference site for the AR line... search around the web & look at teh old catalogs for the 80s models. the AM is nice as it's a bit less bulky than the AS models... glen
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Funny... I was just reading those reviews when you made the post. The AM200 sounds like it's right up my alley (can't figure out when the difference is between it and the 205 though). Actually, the AR2000 sounds pretty ideal as well... I'm just a sucker for those slashed block inlays, so I've tended to focus on the older Artists (which appear a lot more frequently on e-bay than the AR2000's). But I'm also a sucker for anything that says "Prestige" on it, too, so I'll have to give the AR2000 a more serious look. I don't think I've ever seen one in person at GC/Sam Ash/etc, which is a real shame, considering they generally have 20+ Les Pauls and an equal # of PRS's in stock.

--B

Tags
block inlays , david gilmour , fixed bridge , les paul , les pauls , quilted maple , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode