Any Ibanez SA owner ?? Help Please - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Any Ibanez SA owner ?? Help Please

I bought an Ibanez SA 320X it is a 2004 model i think same as the sa220fm (2 HB configuration) but with piezos in it.

I'm thinking on swapping pickups,both HB, which Dimarzios will sound good, it has a Mahogany Body... any idea or experience ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 02:45 PM

Re: Any Ibanez SA owner ?? Help Please

How good it will sound is relative. It's all about getting the sound that YOU want. I've yet to try a Dimarzio pickup that didn't have some quality that I liked about it, but some definitely stand above the others. So to guide you on your search, you really need to let us know what kind of tone you're after or at the very least the major styles of music you plan on playing with the guitar.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

i have an ibanez rg2550ex basswood body, Dimarzio IBZ on it, and a sustainiac stealth plus system on it, it has that bassy dark sound, i am not trying to get the same tone on the SA, but i found a very thin sound on it, i don't know if its because of the mahagony or the cheap pickups that comes with it, i've been reading about the mo' joe's for bridge or maybe breed's, but i will like to hear from SA players wich HB do you have installed. by the way, whats the difference on sound of alinco vs. ceramic on pickups ?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: Any Ibanez SA owner ?? Help Please

do all SA models are loaded with 10's ? which gauge do you suggest on SA's... ??? somebody please!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremist777
do all SA models are loaded with 10's ? which gauge do you suggest on SA's... ??? somebody please!
I thought Ibanez loaded all their guitars with 9s?

Regards

André

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 05:32 PM

Hmm, i dont think so.

I'm pretty sure when i first bought my SZ it was loaded with D'addario XL 10-46's
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 05:51 PM

I have a 2000 model SA 160 that I bought to have a more strat like guitar. I swapped the bridge out for a wilkinson and put Seymour Duncan Pups in it, a JB bridge and two vintage rails for the mid and neck single coil. the JB bridge sounds awesome in it, the mahogany body helps to tame all the highs the pickup has naturally.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:18 PM

A guitar will sound good regardless of the string gauge...that's more about personal preference. I personally prefer 10s and 11s on all of my guitars. As far as pickups go, a Duncan JB for the bridge would be cool but you might also consider the Dimarzio Mo Joe pickup since it's in essence a hotter version of the Fred. As far as the singles go, I would with a Dimarzio Blue or Red Velvet for the middle and a Dimarzio Chopper for the neck.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

SA320X is 2-HB config. and has a double SAT bridge with piezos, and yes i can get strat like sounds with it, and i can also turn on both HB, i read duncan's JB will sound good in mahogany, i'll check some more reviews before i decide myself.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 12:25 PM

I have a 2005 Prestige SA2020FM. Awesome guitar, looks gorgeous, plays easy, and sounds amazing. Really full warm sound, in your face. Definately check out this one, it's amazing.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKXL
I have a 2005 Prestige SA2020FM. Awesome guitar, looks gorgeous, plays easy, and sounds amazing. Really full warm sound, in your face. Definately check out this one, it's amazing.
good to know another SA2020 owner here

btw: did you swap pickups? i kept mine in tact. didn't mean to hijack this thread, but it's still within the SA/ pickup domain, yes?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isida.d
Hmm, i dont think so.

I'm pretty sure when i first bought my SZ it was loaded with D'addario XL 10-46's
the SZ might have been equipped with a thicker string gauge to compensate the shorter scale length. when i received my SZ2020, there are definitely not .009s in there. however, the SA models are .009 equipped, unless your dealer re-string the guitar along the way.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
good to know another SA2020 owner here

btw: did you swap pickups? i kept mine in tact. didn't mean to hijack this thread, but it's still within the SA/ pickup domain, yes?
No, I didn't swap the pickups. I think they sound really good, specially the neck humbucker.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKXL
No, I didn't swap the pickups. I think they sound really good, specially the neck humbucker.
prestige have the good sounding Dimarzio/IBZ's, cuz i own an ibanez rg2550, but this non prestige SA humbuckers SUCK...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 10:47 PM

not really, if your set up accomodates those default pickups tone-wise, then there's no point swapping. liking my SAS pickups...

Tags
basswood body , dimarzio chopper , dimarzio ibz , dimarzio pickup , mahogany body , neck humbucker , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pups , sustainiac stealth plus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode