Any info about the RG-PAINT? - There's one in a music store - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Any info about the RG-PAINT? - There's one in a music store

I've emailed Kevan a while ago about the RG-PAINT that a music store had for sale, but i want to ask this for the whole forum, in case someone has more info about it.

I live in Portugal and it seems that this small country is a "paradise" for J-Customs! In less that 2 years i've seen 4 J-Customs for sale! One RG-METAL (that i didn't bought because i couldn't decide between the METAL and a 7VWH. i know i was stupid and i still regret the day it was sold to another guy...), and three RG-PAINT's.

There's a music store near me that has right now an RG-PAINT for sale (they had another one that was sold, and there was another store in another city that also had another PAINT that was sold). This RG-PAINT is something unique (like the other two). I can't remember if this one is an RG-PAINT1 or 2... But i'll try to describe it (i don't have pics...).

These PAINT's are kind of Multi Colors Swirls. While the MC's seems like they were painted, the PAINT's seems like they were sprayed. They have very bright colors with very wide color streams. The PAINT that was gone from the same music store that has this one was a mixture of pink, white and blue (if i remember correctly). The one that is currently for sale is yellow, blue and red. It has, like i said, very bright colors and very wide color streams (don't think micro swirls in here!). It's very sweet. The pickups are blue and it doesn't have a pickguard. It has the H-S-H configuration but the guy in the store doesn't know anything about the pickups (i guess the are Tone Zone and Air Norton for the hambuckers). It has a rosewood fingerboard, with just dots in th 12 and 24 position. The headstock also matches the paint in the body. Very cool! Ah, it has also a signature in the back, that i assume it was from the luthier or from the guy who checked it out and the J-Custom case. As for the price, it lists for $2000, but the guy can sell it to me for $1350 (that's a great deal or not?!?!?)

I find these PAINT's very sweet. Not being Multi Color guitars, they are different and unique too that remind me of MC's because of the multi colors used . I've never seen a paint like these in any other guitar, and as far as quality of construction, like Kevan said, i don't think they get any better than these.

Does anyone has more info about these?

Thanks,
Armindo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 12:43 PM

Any info about the RG-PAINT?

Pictures, for your enjoyment....

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, Kevan!!!

The first picture is the one i sent you before (i didn't really saw that one with my eyes, but the guys told me it was an RG-PAINT) and the second one is the guitar that is for sale in the store!!! Of course, the color distribution is different, but it is that guitar!!!

What do you think of it? Worth the money? Personally, i like it, but friends of mine say that the colors are very 80's and best suited for a glam-rock band...
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 04:01 AM

It's certainly a very unique guitar, and I think the pictures don't do justice to the real thing. *Both paint schemes are quite cool IMHO.

I can now relate to Kevan's passion with J-customs. *There's not enough information on the web about all the J-customs out there. *I wish there's more info available, too.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 04:12 AM

I live in a World totally devoid of J-Customs and I am really jealous
Some of these J-Customs are the Coolset Guitars I have ever seen
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 05:13 AM

So that's RG-PAINT....
I've seen a couple of those...
The other one was exactly like in the picture above...
I called it The "lava" J-custom :lame:
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 05:17 AM

Congratulations dude!

I have seen two of those gorgeous RG-PAINT guitars in a small music shop in Augsburg/Germany. They looked like the guitar in the first picture, with HH pickups and matte gold hardware. This guy at the shop told me that RG-PAINTs come in pairs with matching "contrary hot&cold" color schemes, and the two I saw really looked as if they belong together in some way. As for pricing, they are always around $1600 - $1700 and definitely very nice and adorable instruments.

Enjoy,
Oliver
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 05:19 AM

BTW - They weren't too expensive, quite cheap actually...
As far as I can remember they were
between 1000$-2000$ ,but that really didn't help much or did it...?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 08:10 AM

So how many RG-PAINT's has been made ?(Kevan ?)
It seems that there's quite a lot of these, since many people have seen one or more...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

One thing that i find strange is that the 2 PAINT's that i've seen (the PAINT1 and PAINT2) have H-S-H pickup configuration and black hardware, and the the one in the first picture has H-H and gold harware...

Shouldn't they all, since they are the same model, have the same pickups and the same hardware? Is the first one a "deluxe" model of the PAINT? That always confused me...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 11:12 AM

That paint treatment reminds me of the finishes Vernon Reid had on his custom ESP guitars back in the late '80s. Several contrastign colours were applied in sequence and then sanded through at different depths to get that "lava" effect, then clearcoated. Almost a different kind of swirl.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 11:52 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

in 1999 there are FOUR RG-PAINT guitars listed.

RG-PAINT1 (WHITE+PINK+PURPLE:MULTI) pink pickups
RG-PAINT2 (YELLOW+PINK+BLUE:MULTI) blue pickups
Cosmo Black
These are H-S-H
- DIMARZIO PAF-PRO
- JEM SINGLE
- DIMARZIO PAF-PRO
SPLIT-5 wiring

RG-PAINT3 (OIL PAINTING STYLE)
RG-PAINT4 (OIL PAINTING STYLE)

Gold Hardware
These are H-H
- *neck: DIMARZIO DP193 AIR NORTON (black)
- bridge: DIMARZIO DP155 TONE ZONE (black)
RG(H-H)-1 wiring
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 12:04 PM

Thanks Glen! *When I get J-custom.com online, I'll add that.

Where'd you get the info? *Can I get some? *:-)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

So, are these guitars from 1999? I tought they from 1997 or something...

And Glen, do you have more pictures of these RG-PAINT's from the same source where you found that info about the pickups?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 02:10 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

I have no pics. I was given detailed specs, but asked not to reprint/distribute them 'as-is'. I can and will, however, get a spec sheet up for the J-Customs from 1997-2000 soon... glen

Tags
air norton , dimarzio paf , music store , rosewood fingerboard , tone zone , vernon reid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode