Any news on this? - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:26 AM

Reviews: 21
@Rich . Thanks for the tip on the neck. I'll check it out. I think it plays fine as it is.

Honestly I don't think I've ever bought a guitar thinking of resale value. The closest maybe was the RG20th but I intend on keeping that forever.
True, Gibson does make less expensive guitars. I was just thinking of the standard LP that many seem to like. I guess mentally I keep drifting back to the OP comparison to Suhr and Anderson and envisioning $3k guitars. That would be J Custom territory which, certainly, the Chinese Fireman is not. It might also be my perception of "nothing wrong with a guitar" might be different than someone who sees many guitars in a day and handles them for a living. If I took the FRM150 to a top local tech they might find ten things wrong with it I just don't see or feel affects playability. It intonates fine and feels good to play. My big fault with it is the volume knob is off in BFE compared to an RG being right next to the bridge pickup.

EDIT: I checked the Fireman's neck. Looks straight but, yeah, they could have cut the nut a little better. I didn't really notice it action wise but then the thick AF neck is a departure from my RGs. hehe!

Last edited by mike570; 05-18-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:48 AM

Re: Any news on this?

just my 2 cents.
In 2000 I went down to a place in Western Connecticut (The Guitar Hanger, maybe?) specifically to buy a Suhr. I picked it up and immediately felt the neck was oddly shaped, kind of heavy and I couldn't deal (Steve agreed with me when I told him...)...so I bought a PRS that day which I still use.
FWIW
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:28 PM

Not sure I really understand all the hype for this guitar? Is it just because it's something different? Hard pass on this one.
jono likes this.
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 02:04 AM
RCB

Te guitars appears to be a trial balloon to see what reactions they get. They clearly looking to tap into suhr success with more traditional super strats.

I agree with Glen on this one. The USA/NAFTA is a large enough market to consider setting up shop if you are unable to compete from Japan. If they intend to tackle the suhr audience this guitars need to be top notch and made in Japan or the USA, and attractively priced, If not, this line of guitars/attempt at grabbing part of suhr success is dead on arrival.

the argument that they might face tariffs, middleman or other costs, though it may be true is weak (I still think the mij regular production guitars are feature neglected as marketing Strategy)

As a consumer in North America, why should you care?

I disliked the guitar. The body shape is passable, the headstock is hideous, and the color is ugly. And he top is average. This hardly would make any owners of a Suhr Modern say "I've got to get me one of those"

They have some interesting designs fro, the past they could bring back to life with non double locking tremolos, with nice tops in a made in USA (outsourced at first) line. The ghosrider, the SJ cabriolet, a flat top version of the ghostrider.

I had suhrs, and I have 8 PRS. The weight distribution in the PRS is wrong when you are sitting down. The quality is about on par with J custom stuff (except for, the tops and staining are usually bland and sub par on the ibanez j customs).

Ibanez could pull this off, and there's definately a market for this. But unless they can put out something better that what I saw in that video, and price it below 2,5k it's never going to happen. And for that particular market it has to be MUSA or MIJ.
jono likes this.
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Unless this is a US manufactured guitar, or a guitar with custom shop options, I just cannot see it taking sales away from the Suhr modern.

For me the whole raison d'etre for the Suhr modern was that it was an Ibanez JEM with custom shop options and a "Made in USA" sticker to keep that mystique alive
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:41 AM

Just an observation that I think Ibanez pretty much nailed the super-strat without locking trem thing with the RT series way back in '93. Those were/are superb, Japanese-built guitars that check all of the main boxes here (24-fret, good hardware, HSH, locking tuners...).

The only major "flaw" in the RTs was the odd omission of an AANJ, a feature that was well entrenched in the Ibanez line by then. But that's not a big problem for me as I've modded a number of them to have contoured, plate-free heels and am very happy with the results.
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:59 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
Just an observation that I think Ibanez pretty much nailed the super-strat without locking trem thing with the RT series way back in '93. Those were/are superb, Japanese-built guitars that check all of the main boxes here (24-fret, good hardware, HSH, locking tuners...).

The only major "flaw" in the RTs was the odd omission of an AANJ, a feature that was well entrenched in the Ibanez line by then. But that's not a big problem for me as I've modded a number of them to have contoured, plate-free heels and am very happy with the results.
The major flaw was demand.

You guys don't get there is little to no demand for Ibanez traditional super strats based on the series of marketing choices, manufacturing choices and - lets face it - over-reliance on steve/joe since 1987/1990.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
The major flaw was demand.

You guys don't get there is little to no demand for Ibanez traditional super strats based on the series of marketing choices, manufacturing choices and - lets face it - over-reliance on steve/joe since 1987/1990.
Yes, I agree that the RT line wound up being a one year only release because they erred in thinking there was a big market for a more traditional Ibanez super strat back then (and likely now, as you point out). But they must have done OK with them because there are plenty of old RTs around to be picked up for sub $500.

Glen -- as an aside, I remember way, way back reading a post in which you praised the RTs and called them great guitars. That was a major incentive for me to check them out and grab a few 15 years ago. Glad I did!
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 03:09 PM
RCB

The "problem" with the RT line as a starting point for this endeavour is that, though they were great, they were always affordable guitars (hardly a problem I agree, but you ll se my point). So trying to market them as a very high end instrument meant to compete with Suhr, would be hard. People remember them. They could do un upscale version of them, with real figured tops, rounded fret ends, but people would still say, it's just an RT with a nicer top. Since they go for 300/500 in the used market, it would be hard to sell them for 2/2.5k

If they are going to go through with this, they need to try something new, or something that is forgotten and that they can pass up as new.

May be reintroduce the tension free neck or offer it an option? Titanium saddles in the bridge, steel frets with rounded tips, really good tops (not just flamed maple), made in USA with made in USA hardware is probably a food idea. An ugly headstock and a baked maple neck won't cut it. Then, at a later time, (3/5 years after the new line is installed and becomes an aspirational thing, they could launch a Premium version of them).

And I agree, they should have them made in USA. Ideally set up shop there. There's a market for this, and they are missing out.

Another thing is, they miss the point when it comes to new endorsers. Even in that demo. Suhr made a killing endorsing "fusion" "jazzrock" (whatever you want to call Guthrie, Fedor Dosumov, Tom Qualye, and the other 2000 thousend look/sound alike players). You already have Steve Vai, Andy TImmons, Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani. I like Marco Sfogli, and the guy in the video is OK, but they play in the same instrumental rock style. That is a music and a style of playing you associate with RGs. You need othe people. Unfortnately Martin Miller and Jess Lewis are not the best examples, but I guess it's step in the right direction.

The finally woke up to a good (though rather obvious idea/market), but they are implementing it wrong, and they will fail miserably.

I'd like to see them go all in with this, and succeed, but those samples/trial ballons out there, are a flop.

Rich Lasner was the best designer they ever hard. I don't know why the let him go. They owe most of the brand success to his designs (jem/RG, saber, Radius/JS) and they guy went on to do other very good designs (Yamaha Pacifica among many others). Someone like him, or the man himself, would be a welcome addition if they intend to seriously commit to reinventing the brand, or launching an entirely new line with a new concept.

Suhr's are over rated, and expensive for what they are (a flat top, bolt on guitar, with dot inlays). They are really well put together, have nice (5mm) tops, with nice paint jobs. I had a couple. They should be able to come up with something at least as good. A Modern with a figured top cost around 2.8/3.5k in the USD. At that price point, they are probably making a killing with margin they make on every guitar.

They probably should come up with a new version of the logo, they need to be somewhat a departure from what they are currently doing.

If they won't commit, they'd rather keep doing what they are doing. They are successful at it.
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
The "problem" with the RT line as a starting point for this endeavour is that, though they were great, they were always affordable guitars (hardly a problem I agree, but you ll se my point). So trying to market them as a very high end instrument meant to compete with Suhr, would be hard.
My reference to the RT line wasn't to suggest that they reintroduce them as a high end competitor to Suhr, etc. I only brought them up because for my needs, they already fill that niche very well and consequently I don't feel a burning need for anything similar from Ibanez.

The other often overlooked model that really hit the mark was the 97-98 Blazer reissue BL1025. Those were 22-frets, but everything else in the non-locking trem, high end shredder vein is there. Ibanez pulled out all the stops on design and quality control with those guitars.

But I'm wading off topic with all that -- back to what's happening now...
MatiasTolkki likes this.
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
My reference to the RT line wasn't to suggest that they reintroduce them as a high end competitor to Suhr, etc. I only brought them up because for my needs, they already fill that niche very well and consequently I don't feel a burning need for anything similar from Ibanez.

The other often overlooked model that really hit the mark was the 97-98 Blazer reissue BL1025. Those were 22-frets, but everything else in the non-locking trem, high end shredder vein is there. Ibanez pulled out all the stops on design and quality control with those guitars.

But I'm wading off topic with all that -- back to what's happening now...
I just got a 96 BL500 (21 fret). I agree that these could be an affordable MIJ for the company.
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 03:52 AM

I don't feel it's ugly guitar at all.
If the price range in the RG655/652 territory, I'm sure gonna try one.

Despite I'm still a RG fan boy always have always will, but sometimes I need something different.
I don't want to give my money to Suhr or Anderson, if Ibanez has something similar ( in looks), why not?

It's gonna be nice too if Ibanez offer other than baked maple.
pau ferro, ziricote, perhaps?
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 05:08 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post

It's gonna be nice too if Ibanez offer other than baked maple.
pau ferro, ziricote, perhaps?
Fender just announced they were switching to Pau Ferro for all their import lines.
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:22 AM

Well, I do hope ibanez will follow the same way.

Tags
prestige , prototype

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode