Any news on this? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Any news on this?

Please forgive me if there is a thread about this already, but I can't find one. Which is surprising to me since this is the definitive Ibanez site. I have seen this prototype mentioned on a few others.

What is the scoop on this guitar and when we will be seeing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Any news on this?

From his own words...

Lee Wrathe: I can't reveal anything yet I am afraid as this is just a prototype!

I wouldn't assume that it will be sold as a Prestige or ever released at all. Ibanez "endorsers" are typically given a semi-customized axe each year or on request. Ask Dave Weiner (touring with Vai) how that worked out (he plays PRS happily for years now).

Some youtube comments are something Ibanez will obviously look at:
Quote:
Looks like a Suhr.
Quote:
Wonder what they are going to go for. $1500 would be a sweet spot if made in Japan. Anything over $2000 I would rather have a Suhr or Anderson.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I get that, however the guys from Chon and Martin Miller have also posted pics with these prototypes on their instagram feeds. This is definitely more than a one-off. I was just wondering if anyone had some inside info on these.
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:30 PM

Reviews: 21

The new Ibanez rGG model.
Sure enough there's also a Guthrie Govan suggested video that popped up the time I viewed it. I know that's automated but....
I'm not keen on the headstock but otherwise I like it. Totally reminds me of a Guthrie Charvel or Suhr.
I might get pegged as an Ibanez fanboy but I don't always get the allure/snobbery of Suhr, Anderson, PRS or especially Charvel. Ibanez can put just as much value in a guitar at the same price or sometimes less.

Actually IMO Ibanez should instead bring the RGV to the US - although that carmelized maple board on an RGV would be a nice touch.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Ugly headstock is ugly
DEADTUNES666 likes this.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
The new Ibanez rGG model.
Sure enough there's also a Guthrie Govan suggested video that popped up the time I viewed it. I know that's automated but....
I'm not keen on the headstock but otherwise I like it. Totally reminds me of a Guthrie Charvel or Suhr.
I might get pegged as an Ibanez fanboy but I don't always get the allure/snobbery of Suhr, Anderson, PRS or especially Charvel. Ibanez can put just as much value in a guitar at the same price or sometimes less.

Actually IMO Ibanez should instead bring the RGV to the US - although that carmelized maple board on an RGV would be a nice touch.
This guy could tear up any brand axe lets start with that.

Mike, i get it to be an Ibanez fanatic but look at the street price of the Surh modern satin line ($2195) and then everything else and maybe re-consider. Real tone wood, stainless frets & PLEK, etc. The price on a Prestige version of this LW would be far above the Suhr. For comparison Timmon's new Prestige (AT100) list is $3600.

What about this with meh stained top, meh dot inlays stands out? Are the fret ends round enough for the zealots? LOL. Just looks like it has the makings of a haphazard Ibanez Prestige destined to be 2x overpriced or meh Premium. Pick your poison, i'd take the Suhr you might too?

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post

Mike, i get it to be an Ibanez fanatic but look at the street price of the Surh modern satin line ($2195) and then everything else and maybe re-consider. Real tone wood, stainless frets & PLEK, etc. The price on a Prestige version of this LW would be far above the Suhr. For comparison Timmon's new Prestige (AT100) list is $3600.
Now we're comparing non signature home brewed guitars to SIGNATURE models that are tariffed imports with royalties and 100% outsourced?! And then you compare street price to list. Real objective. Pick a position and stand there, for at least 1 minute! If you like Suhrs so much how about you start a Suhr board and go play there. In the meantime there are many that prefer the looks and playability of an Ibanez, which you totally disregard as fanboys, zealots, or whatever demeaning adjective pops into your head.

As for this guitar, I'll agree Meh pretty much says it for me, but it's not built to my taste, it's built to his.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:50 PM

But what are you comparing to the Suhr? An off the rack RG Prestige? Okay, depending on QC the Suhr has the upper hand most times there. Now let's compare the RG30th J Custom and a Suhr? I would say that's more on par. Or maybe the old higher end RG35XX or RG37XX series? I'm not sure how the newer models stack up on average quality wise now that they've gotten rid of the old numbering conventions.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Now we're comparing non signature home brewed guitars to SIGNATURE models that are tariffed imports with royalties and 100% outsourced?! And then you compare street price to list. Real objective. Pick a position and stand there, for at least 1 minute! If you like Suhrs so much how about you start a Suhr board and go play there. In the meantime there are many that prefer the looks and playability of an Ibanez, which you totally disregard as fanboys, zealots, or whatever demeaning adjective pops into your head.

As for this guitar, I'll agree Meh pretty much says it for me, but it's not built to my taste, it's built to his.
Consumers ready to purchase with $ in hand don't care about imports, outsourced, customs, tariffs, etc.

THEY CARE ABOUT PRODUCT they are paying for.

I didn't say i want a Suhr or even like them that much but if I wanted a Suhr-clone at $2-3k i'd first look to get the real thing. You'd probably do the same if you weren't a dealer. The Suhr mops up the Ibanez stuff in this category.

Would SuhrForShred.com be a good domain?
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:00 PM
Vendor

I think SuhrForGramps.com works better. I like SuhrForGrumps.com too.

It doesn't matter that you just compared a signature import to a homegrown product, obviously an idiotic comparison.

Try to see what that same Suhr sells for in Germany, now that would be a comparison, against a Prestige. But if you want apples compare what Suhr sells for in Japan.....

The prices are what the prices are, Ibanez has MANY expenses Suhr never faces when selling in the US.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
But what are you comparing to the Suhr? An off the rack RG Prestige? Okay, depending on QC the Suhr has the upper hand most times there. Now let's compare the RG30th J Custom and a Suhr? I would say that's more on par. Or maybe the old higher end RG35XX or RG37XX series? I'm not sure how the newer models stack up on average quality wise now that they've gotten rid of the old numbering conventions.
This axe is literally a Suhr clone minus Suhr detail & quality. You downplayed PRS also but come on Dave played a $1099 USA model live with Vai for a song as lead rhythm & second guitar.

My point is if you're going to ape Suhr you better crush it and be at a lower price point. Rich whined about price comparison but comparable Ibanez AT100CL is $2600 MAP (& Sweetwater).

Last edited by jemsite; 05-17-2017 at 05:18 PM.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:08 PM
Vendor

Whined about morons.

How much is the new Govan? Oh, that's right, he left Suhr for Charvel, and it is $2999 MAP!

I think Ibanez beat the Charvel, hmmmmm.

Does Suhr still have any signature models to actually compare price to?
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:09 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It doesn't matter that you just compared a signature import to a homegrown product, obviously an idiotic comparison.

Try to see what that same Suhr sells for in Germany, now that would be a comparison, against a Prestige. But if you want apples compare what Suhr sells for in Japan.....

The prices are what the prices are, Ibanez has MANY expenses Suhr never faces when selling in the US.
The new talking points of "import" or "homegrown" or "tariff" is just not reasonable as it doesn't matter.

I don't care what Suhr sells for in Japan any more as what JCs sell for in Japan. If i was typing in Japanese from Japan surely i'd have a different sentiment. Your point on this is simply not reasonable.

If there are too many tariffs, etc. that is all the more reason to invest manufacturing to better tackle N.America.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:11 PM

I've heard the "Switch to PRS" rant since the 90's. Not for me and, honestly, not that impressive all the time. And I'm talking about their comparable higher end models. Suhr or Anderson, yeah, are legit IMO as better than a PRS.
But I am not a top-end buyer either. In my mind every instrument I own is going to erode over time from playing and, knowing that, I'm hesitant to spend a lot on a guitar. That's just my perspective on every guitar I own. Now if you handed me $4k and said I'd have my pick of comparable guitars I'd probably take the RG30th, but I am admittedly a fan boy.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:12 PM
Vendor

Not reasonable to consider actual costs differences when comparing brands. Wow.

Yes, found a Suhr signature model, Knopfler - List - $7700

Tags
prestige , prototype

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode