Any opinions about RG470AHZ or RGA42TFMZ as first guitar? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Any opinions about RG470AHZ or RGA42TFMZ as first guitar?

Hello,

I am looking forward starting to practice playing guitar and after going through multiple brands & models I found out about these guitars. They seem to be new 2011 models. I would like to have some opinions on them if they're good for newcomer and if they're generally worth their prices. Also I am pretty new to pickups (naturally) and I don't know much about them. I thought RG470AHZ's HSH-setup would be better for newbie since it gives more possible combinations for different sound. Then again RGA has active pickups and that PRE-EQ system or whatever. Both have new Edge Zero II-tremolo which seemed very nice technically.

Any helpful info & tips on what I should pick as my guitar are appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Lasse.; 03-31-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: fixed typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM

Re: Any opinions about RG470AHZ or RGA42TFMZ as first guitar?

That's a really tough choice. As far as the pickups go, you're going to have very nice tone options either way. The RGA is geared more towards metal while the RG will give you more of an all around sound. Also, those extra cuts on the horns of the RGA will help a little when soloing. As far as wood is concerned, the mahogany will be a lot warmer sounding on the RGA. In my opinion, the RG will be more comfortable to play sitting down. It has forearm cut the RGA lacks. The necks will be the same on both.

It's really a toss up. Get which ever one looks awesomer to you. Personally, I'd go for the RGA, the flame maple will look awesome in person. Remember, guitars are like cars, never pay full price. You should definitely be able to get 10%-25% off unless you're buying online.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for helping! It's tough yes, I like how both look. I guess I'll check more videos on how they sound and decide when I know which one looks & sounds better to me in the end.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna get myself a job after being months jobless. So I thought that if I could afford, would it be a crazy idea to get one of those RG920QM premiums from Rich with gold setup as the first guitar?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 PM

Reviews: 11

no, it would be one hell of a first guitar though. you'll love having the neck on that one
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:46 PM

The RGA42TFMZ is my choice. The ash body is nice, but all things being equal (and hardware-wise, they pretty much are) it comes down to looks, the body woods (darker sounding mahogany versus brighter sounding ash), and the extra sounds available from the extra middle pickup. The Flame finish on the RGA is a thin veneer, and won't affect tone to any noticeable degree, just consider it a mahogany bodies guitar. The necks will be identical, save for the inlays.
Having said that, the red RGA is hands down more professional looking, whereas the ash RG looks closer to an entry level Jackson.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 PM

Reviews: 120

If you are a first time guitar player do not get a guitar with a Floyd Rose type bridge. You will have no end of grief. Get a RG321, rock solid high quality guitar, fixed bridge. It will be so much easier for a beginner to look after and play.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
If you are a first time guitar player do not get a guitar with a Floyd Rose type bridge. You will have no end of grief. Get a RG321, rock solid high quality guitar, fixed bridge. It will be so much easier for a beginner to look after and play.
I'm with you from a practical standpoint. But most of us eventually have to get through our first locking trem experiences at some point. For me, the ability to a) change tunings whenever I want without having to spend 20 minutes re-setting my trem and b) not having the entire guitar go wildly out of tune if a string breaks is why I usually use a fixed trem guitar.

But the heart want what the heart wants, and the Edge Zero II is a pretty awesome trem in its own right...

Also, +1 on the RG321, I was going to get one, but saw the RGR321EXFM used for the same price. Added 2 DiMarzio Breeds & I was happy as a clam.

Last edited by Just A Box; 04-17-2011 at 08:06 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Hi again,

Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated. I have been rolling all these models around in my mind and I actually was thinking about that bridge-thing earlier. I just checked RG321 out and only one we seem to have here in Europe is RGR321EX in black nowadays. Looks kinda boring to me being all black and I don't like the reversed headstock that much...

This is getting harder & harder to choose

EDIT: I quickly ruled that idea of getting a premium out even tho I got a job now. Costs too much haha.

EDIT2: Any opinions on RGA32?

Last edited by Lasse.; 04-25-2011 at 03:52 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok. This is solved for me now. Got an offer on used RG321 with few string-sets, strap & gigbag for 200EUR (~287 USD) so I am buying it. Thank you for your help guys.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 07:57 PM

Reviews: 11

dont forget to post a NGD thread
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 AM

If you are lucky enough to run across an RG470AHZ, you would be making a mistake to NOT buy it.

Tags
beginner opinions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode