Any opinions on the Ibanez Prestige S1520? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Any opinions on the Ibanez Prestige S1520?

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried or owned an Ibanez Prestige S1520?

There is a Prestige S1520BP for sale locally here for $425 and I am considering buying it. I have 2 Prestige RGs and I love them so I was thinking a S prestige would be nice. I've never had a guitar with a lo-pro Edge either.

thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 03:08 PM

Re: Any opinions on the Ibanez Prestige S1520?

I've had one in the past and I loved it a lot!!! The bubinga gives it pretty awesome tone, it was a super light guitar too. The stock pups are pretty nice sounding too. Plus the price is great on that guitar too!!! I spent 700 on the one I had at guitar center.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llvulcanravenll View Post
I've had one in the past and I loved it a lot!!! The bubinga gives it pretty awesome tone, it was a super light guitar too. The stock pups are pretty nice sounding too. Plus the price is great on that guitar too!!! I spent 700 on the one I had at guitar center.
Nice, thanks for the feedback! I did some surfing about the QM pups and I read good things about them...and yeah $425 seems like a good price...I'm thinking about going and trying it out today. One of my reservations is that there are no fret markers and even though I kinda like the look of the clean fret board I don't really like to play guitars without fret markers of some kind... I guess I could put jockomo stickers on the fret board...
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Nice, thanks for the feedback! I did some surfing about the QM pups and I read good things about them...and yeah $425 seems like a good price...I'm thinking about going and trying it out today. One of my reservations is that there are no fret markers and even though I kinda like the look of the clean fret board I don't really like to play guitars without fret markers of some kind... I guess I could put jockomo stickers on the fret board...
It has side fret markers I think, better than nothing. Try it out though you will not be let down!!! I must say you will love the lo pro too they are sweet!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

sounds good - I am going to meet the guy and try it out in a few hours =)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 06:03 PM

Good luck dude hope you enjoy it
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 06:08 PM

Sweet. You will get used to the blank board pretty fast.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 03:56 PM

One of the best S series models, I can't see how you can regret it at that price...

Oh, and I also like prefer the Edge / Lo-Pro Edge trems on the older models than the later trem systems. I am glad the Lo-Pro Edge returned this year...

Last edited by jazzedout; 10-16-2014 at 04:02 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 05:45 AM
rgx

Nice guitars, I had two - black pearl with lo pro and wnf with OE, both were very nice and Quantums are very nice although a bit too hot to my liking.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I love the QM pups. They are balanced great for any style; they make the V7/V8 (before the magnet swap) look so bad. I get some awesome tones from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ExW...S6wQej3hg6UW4g

I took this video a few months ago but it demos the QM pups. I tried to make sure that I got the wide range of tones it can do with my limited skill, hope it's helpful.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the feedback and video guys! I think I will leave those QM pups in for awhile and see how we bond... I ended up buying the guitar for $415 but when I got it home I noticed a very small neck pocket crack, which I didn't notice before I paid the guy and left... =( hopefully the crack doesn't become an issue... The guitar needs quite a bit of work because the frets and fretboard were gunky and gross - it looked like old gross strings were left on it and then it was kept in a case with the dirty strings for years...it even smelled funky. I took it to my trusty guitar tech buddy and I am hoping he can make it beautiful again. I will post some pics once I get it back. Thanks!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
thanks for the feedback and video guys! I think I will leave those QM pups in for awhile and see how we bond... I ended up buying the guitar for $415 but when I got it home I noticed a very small neck pocket crack, which I didn't notice before I paid the guy and left... =( hopefully the crack doesn't become an issue... The guitar needs quite a bit of work because the frets and fretboard were gunky and gross - it looked like old gross strings were left on it and then it was kept in a case with the dirty strings for years...it even smelled funky. I took it to my trusty guitar tech buddy and I am hoping he can make it beautiful again. I will post some pics once I get it back. Thanks!
Sounds like how my RG550CA looked when I first got it. Pretty worn down, but I leave it in its current shape because that's part of its history and personality. I love the 550
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Sounds like how my RG550CA looked when I first got it. Pretty worn down, but I leave it in its current shape because that's part of its history and personality. I love the 550
trust me, a little too much personality rubbed off on this guitar...literally, like too much sweat and DNA goo that was left on their for too many years resulting in some fret corrosion and rust, which will helpfully come off when the frets get a full dressing... I am excited about this guitar thought because I love prestige models and for $415 I couldnt resist
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
trust me, a little too much personality rubbed off on this guitar...literally, like too much sweat and DNA goo that was left on their for too many years resulting in some fret corrosion and rust, which will helpfully come off when the frets get a full dressing... I am excited about this guitar thought because I love prestige models and for $415 I couldnt resist
My 550 isn't nearly that dirty

I agree, prestiges are amazing. I want one or 2 more at some point
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:55 PM

The older S Prestiges are awesome. For this price you cant go wrong.

Tags
prestige s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in