Any players use single coils for metal? - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:43 PM

Re: Any players use single coils for metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Kirk also owns a spectacularly nice Pre-CBS Seafoam Green Strat which has appeared in at least one Metallica clip that I have seen, whether that means the guitar was used on that particular track is impossible to determine.
yes he uses it on that song, the solo to 'I Disappear'...Metallica's worst track ever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:37 PM

Billy Squier and Trevor Rabin both use single coil guitars. I realize that these players fit more into the "hard rock" category rather than the current "heavy metal," but nonetheless they are using single coils with distortion.
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 05:02 AM

sure you can. here's a cool jeff kolman vid with cool tunig:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxu8rL8xbgc
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias. View Post
sure you can. here's a cool jeff kolman vid with cool tunig:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxu8rL8xbgc
Well, that's certainly a refreshing and interesting way to approach guitar.
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 10:50 AM

yea thats deff true, a single in the neck position, they have so much warmth and arent too overdriven, they are pretty much exactly whats needed, fluid, warm and punchy
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Kirk also owns a spectacularly nice Pre-CBS Seafoam Green Strat which has appeared in at least one Metallica clip that I have seen, whether that means the guitar was used on that particular track is impossible to determine.
In his interview , Kirk Hamet mention that he used his green fender stratocaster with hardtail for clean parts on black album ( nothing else..) and I red before that in early days Kirk Hamet used fernandes with single coils (while James H. used epihone )
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:41 PM

doesnt kirk used stacked single coils?
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 12:14 PM

I play a Carvin Strat which has all single coils and I play just about anything, including some really heavy stuff.
It's not a case of single coils not doing metal it's a case of people not doing metal with singlecoils, I find nothign wrong with them for any genre, same with humbuckers, they just produce a different tone.
But yeah my single coils can reach some pretty heavy metal tones, I don't play loads of metal but the odd times I do (mainly when jamming with friends just having a goof around) it can get real ballsy, it's all about the amp.
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleTheNervo View Post
...mmm Malmsteen?
...mmmm humbucker stack?
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 05:12 PM

why is everyone saying malmsteen.. ive never heard of anyone considering an HS-2 or whatever he uses as a single coil
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
Now I know why I don't like the tone on that album.

Hevvy Devvy kicks ass though.

Rock on!
Agreed, cool tone, but not my fav. Infinity had the best tone IMHO! EMG Humbucker loaded ESP --> Peavey 5150 --> Roland GP-1 processor with buttload of delay/ambience, repeat 20x each side!!!
post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 12:40 PM

Tom Morello? I guess that counts as metal...
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 02:24 PM

I know I definitely use single coils in the neck for lead in metal. The bridge needs a humbucker, without doubt. Don't get me wrong - I've gone the route you're going for a few years - single coil in the bridge of a strat through a high gain amp for rhythm. Once I put a JB in place of it, I thought I was holding a different instrument - much much better.

Like I said, though - I almost religiously will play single coils in the neck position (except for on RG's). I have a completely modded strat which is fantastic, and I go for Texas Blues style single coils... they are fantastic for lead in metal, believe it or not. Best tone I've found to match my finger tone.
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 PM

Reviews: 4

Sometimes they may look single-coils, but they might as well be humbucking stack pickups!

That is the Malmsteen situation, here: DiMarzio HS-3 & YJM
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 06:23 PM

Dave Murray of Iron Maiden is a well known Strat player. Not really Killswitch Engage level tones, though. K.K. Downing used to use a Strat back in the day as well.

Tags
alder body , coil pickup , coil tap , custom guitar , david mccarroll , devin townsend , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , distorted tone , distorted tones , equipped guitar , fender deluxe , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fender strats , heavy metal , high gain amp , iron maiden , joe stump , maple neck , marshall guv , mij strat , neck pickup , neck position , noiseless pickups , paf pro , ritchie blackmore , seymour duncan , tom morello , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode