Any suggestions? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Any suggestions?

I am a 15 year old shredder who loves how Ibanez guitars look and would love to have one with an edge tremolo/dimarzio pickups. But i have one problem. My father Mr. Old School thinks ibanez are plywood. Lemme explain this guy. He is all about a good fender or a gibson. You know, the brands who have been around since the invention of the light bulb. Well i was just wondering if you could gimme some good arguing points and maybe a good strategy to talk to him lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

One other thing.

Oh yeah. He is also worried about an ibanez holding its value and getting someone to buy it is i decide to resale.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 12:17 AM

I don't see that it really matters unless he's the guy holding the purse strings. In which case, go get a job and buy what you want. Is he going to disown you because you bring home an Ibanez? I could think of a lot worse things you could bring home.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 12:27 AM

It sounds like your dad and my dad should get together to compare shopping strategies.

Speculating on musical instruments is like speculating on anything else, whether it's real estate, art, the stock market, or lottery tickets. There is no way of knowing what's going to go up or down in value. Back in the mid-'80s, you could buy Les Pauls for $800 or less. Nobody wanted them. Strats and super-strats were the hot thing (look at the prices of vintage Kramers these days). Then grunge took off, and Les Pauls were hot.

Nowadays, PRS is the hot brand on the market, but i estimate that their value is going to plateau and drop fairly soon... i think they've become very over-exposed in the market and all the people who want something different will find something else. Early PRSes will still hold their value, and probably become quite collectable, but there are so many of the mass-produced ones out there that only the rare or special ones are likely to hold or appreciate in value.

Ibanez guitars are pretty good value for the dollar, especially the 500 series and up. They may not hold their value very well, but that makes them an even better deal on the second-hand market. A used RG550 or 570 is about as good a guitar as you're gonna find in that category.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 08:04 AM
Vendor

Have Mr. Old School go test an AR3000
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 09:27 AM

Ooooooo yes! The Rolls Royce of the Ibanez line.

One day, she will be mine. ALL MINE!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 05:31 PM

... or even test an SC1620... blows my old PRS away, IMO.
-Ben
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 06:07 PM

Reviews: 3
Tell him you want a '54 strat or a '04 RG5xx
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:28 AM

I second the AR2000 vote and especially the SC1620!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:15 PM

put Vai Live in Astoria DVD in his DVD-player, then ask him if a plywood guitar could ever stand those abuses 2 hours a night, everynight for months.

then tell him how better '70 lawsuit Ibanez copies were, compared to "good" Fs & Gs.
oh yeah, then tell him how different new Fs & Gs are compared to vintage models.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:44 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontalonis
I am a 15 year old shredder who loves how Ibanez guitars look and would love to have one with an edge tremolo/dimarzio pickups. But i have one problem. My father Mr. Old School thinks ibanez are plywood. Lemme explain this guy. He is all about a good fender or a gibson. You know, the brands who have been around since the invention of the light bulb. Well i was just wondering if you could gimme some good arguing points and maybe a good strategy to talk to him lol.
There is a whole lot of "plywood" in the lines from ibanez, fender, gibson, etc. Your dad, unless unreasonably stubborn and closed minded, can easily determine there are good non-plywood "shredder" ibanez axes that will hold a reasonable value and serve as a quality instrument for many years. I'm sure you guys can determine your level of seriousness w/ the guitar and if it is worth investing in an Ibanez shreddder. Maybe he's figuring you'll outgrow the "plywood" sooner than later but that is a moot issue really if you stick w/ something like the RG5xx 15xx line for example. Pretty cheap and easy enough to sell later if you like.

The Artist 2000 (3000) is a superb Ibanez, but lacks the locking-trem/dimarzio combination you're looking for. I'd wager if dad played one blindfolded he'd be diggin' the axe ...glen
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 03:26 AM

How about explaining to him that they've been in business for a very long time. If they made junk, they wouldn't be around.
Show him a RG3120. Mahogany and maple top. Just like a les paul.
Show him an Iceman PS10. Workmanship that rivals any Gibson or Fender.
How about the fact that some of the greatest shredders that ever lived, used, and still use Ibanez.
Ibanez guitars would not have survived all these years virtually unchanged if they were crap. Some of those old RGs from the 80s play amazing! frets worn and everything.
I have never even seen an Ibanez made from plywood. Basswood, and Mahogany are their main woods I would say.
Tell him if you get a Les Paul, you'll have shoulder and back problems 'cause they weigh a ton!
Ever play an OLD strat? GEEZE! that curved neck fretting out all over the place. or very high string action. not exactly a wizard neck.
I'll take a $300 used Japanese RG550 over any les paul or strat any day.
GOOD LUCK!

Tags
dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , edge trem , ibanez guitars , les paul , les pauls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode