Any SZ Giggers - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Any SZ Giggers

Anyone use these to gig or play with a band? I looked at one today, the 320, black with binding. I thought it was nice and am thinking about putting a 81/85 set in it if I get one. How's people around here feel about this ax?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 01:08 AM

Re: Any SZ Giggers

I can't tell you abt the gigging thing but I played my student's SZ320, oiled finish... he plonked in EMG81/81s into that thing and tuned it to C.

Tonewise, the SZ has a darkish tone with good midrange ala a Les Paul and the oiled finish version i played had a nice "woody-ness" to its acoustic sound. Plugged it, it was heavy as hell... damn dark but yet tight, even with the C tuning. I ran it thru my setup which is normally quite bright sounding, low on bass and moderate-high gain, I usually play lead stuff... and that thing chugged like no tomorrow. The 81 in the neck sounded very punchy and dark, not muddy too... but it was kind of a generic metal neck tone if you ask me, quite character-less. On the other hand, the 81 in bridge was killer!

Oh yeah, if you do get the SZ, and swap for EMGs, you can't use the current pup selector I think (someone pls confirm) and so keep your SZ's selector or sell it off.. its a pretty expensive part and it can be used for complicated switching for 2 humbuckers/singles at once. (e.g. Series, single, parallel) Its a 4PDT switch....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 03:27 AM

I've never owned one personally, but I've been playing one frequently at a local guitar store and it is pretty much like what's stated above. It's got a nice woody tone a la a Les Paul but not quite as heavy. The neck is pretty comfortable to play and there are some nice finishing options.

Also, EMGs are nice and all if you're just looking for that ballsy metal tone but I kind of like the stock Duncan/IBZ pickups that come with those guitars. The neck pickup in particular is very nice and I would probably just swap the bridge pickup for a Dimarzio D-Sonic (my favorite bridge pickup at the moment).
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 07:03 AM

I used an SZ320 for a few gigs and it was more than capable of handling the sound i was going for. The bridge pickup could of done with a change but it's still pretty good. They have very VERY nice clean tones too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 02:03 PM

I giged mine a little bit. It sounded great, but the I didn't get along with the neck too well. The frets are too small for me.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:15 PM

Ok i admit i use my SZ heavily. I have an SZ520 in dark red (company called it blueberry) and it does extremely well. I did add locking Schaller tuners and a Dimarzio Air norton to the neck and Air zone to the bridge. As far as price to quality it is exceptional. Never had a problem with it and it holds up extremely well. I recommend it highly as far as fixed bridge guitars go. And if you need more info just look at Mudvayne and Shadow's Fall and Marty Friedman to name a few. Joshua
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 07:42 PM

Thumbs up Re: Any SZ Giggers

I've been gigging with my SZ520... and loving it. I play 3 to 4 nights a week. The only thing I need... Is to change the wiring to PRS McCarty or 5 Way. I really like the sound of the stock wiring setup. But I just don't have time to screw with two volume controls. I am having a hard time finding diagrams other than at guitarelectronics.com I wish to find as many SZ520 wiring mods as I can. Anyboby got some? Thanks...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 07:45 PM

the smaller frets took me a little while to get used to, but they are nice gutiars. i'd rather get a schecter-24 frets, Duncans, Sperzels, tone pros, all at about the same price.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:48 PM

for some reason whenever i play one they just feel " small" to me, it doesnt effect my playing at all but, its just wierd..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:56 PM

I have an (MIJ) SC, which was the precursor to the SZ. Mine has a pretty dark sound to it, no doubt due to the mahogany body and the IBZ/USA pickups I put in it. It's great for rhythm, and acoustically really resonant. The only thing I don't like about it is that the lower cutaway area is too small. I keep brushing my fingers against the body when I'm on the high frets. Other than that it's great.

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , clean tone , dimarzio air , dimarzio air norton , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , high frets , les paul , mahogany body , marty friedman , neck pickup , prs mccarty , schaller tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode