Any views on Edge Zero Bridge ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Any views on Edge Zero Bridge ?

I know it's new but I'd like to hear other's experiences with the bridge.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 03:56 PM

Re: Any views on Edge Zero Bridge ?

I played one in a shop and I found it very, very disappointing after having such a great experience with the Edge Pro on my trusty RG1570. It's like a ZR and Edge Pro mashed into one- both great bridges separately but their lovechild just didn't inherit the genetic traits that matter. There's a thread on here in which some posters have taken the time to discuss many of the flaws with this bridge. In a nutshell, Ibanez is trying to avoid Floyd licensing fees, cheapen trem building costs and is even too lazy to change the routing on the 2008 RG line to actually fit this new trem. If you're in the market for a new RG, get a 1570 and tweak from there as its the only one to still have the Edge Pro which is a class bridge.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 12:45 AM

I too have heard and read the negitive reviews for the Edge Zero Bridge. I can't really compare it to the Edge Pro, because I've only played the Edge Pro in stores. However ( I may be the only one ) but I love the Edge Zero. I have a 2570, I put that trem through the paces and it never lets me down and stays in tune perfectly. It did take alittle gettting used to, but I can find no fault with the Edge Zero.
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 03:43 AM

They come on the Herman Li Sig and ive read both good and bad some people swear bye them and claim them to be a brilliant bridge when setup properly.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 10:45 PM

i dunno what red axe is talking about, it's an amazing bridge.

stays in tune incredibly well, at least as good as and better than an edge pro. i'd take it over and EP anyday.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Vendor

Redexe speaks the truth.

The EZ has very good performance and decent feel, but that's it. The fine tuners are very awkward, tough to grip and adjust, and too sensitive when you do. The studs are the worst Ibanez has ever put in a guitar. Half the guitars I do will come back terribly flat from pullup with the ZPS bar in, take the bar out and the return is as good as an EP. I haven't been able to pin down the problem but believe it's binding of the bar in it's seat somehow. It's made in China, has finishing and then cosmo finish that looks like it's Chinese, you have no flexibilty over trem tension except to change to the EGEN springs, and the only reason it's being used so widely is to save the $14 licensing fee to FR on every bridge.

I'd take the EP anyday. I'd take the EDGE over any of them for feel, but on new guitars, I'd take the EP.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaxe View Post
I played one in a shop and I found it very, very disappointing after having such a great experience with the Edge Pro on my trusty RG1570. It's like a ZR and Edge Pro mashed into one- both great bridges separately but their lovechild just didn't inherit the genetic traits that matter. There's a thread on here in which some posters have taken the time to discuss many of the flaws with this bridge. In a nutshell, Ibanez is trying to avoid Floyd licensing fees, cheapen trem building costs and is even too lazy to change the routing on the 2008 RG line to actually fit this new trem. If you're in the market for a new RG, get a 1570 and tweak from there as its the only one to still have the Edge Pro which is a class bridge.
Funny, I remember people saying the exact same thing about the Edge vs Edge Pro.

Time will tell, but I am definitely not going to be af irst adopter! I cant afford to buy anything new.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Redexe speaks the truth.

The EZ has very good performance and decent feel, but that's it. The fine tuners are very awkward, tough to grip and adjust, and too sensitive when you do. The studs are the worst Ibanez has ever put in a guitar. Half the guitars I do will come back terribly flat from pullup with the ZPS bar in, take the bar out and the return is as good as an EP. I haven't been able to pin down the problem but believe it's binding of the bar in it's seat somehow. It's made in China, has finishing and then cosmo finish that looks like it's Chinese, you have no flexibilty over trem tension except to change to the EGEN springs, and the only reason it's being used so widely is to save the $14 licensing fee to FR on every bridge.

I'd take the EP anyday. I'd take the EDGE over any of them for feel, but on new guitars, I'd take the EP.
strange, mine stays in tune perfectly, sure pulling up after a while it goes a bit sharp, but never flat...
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_SA View Post
They come on the Herman Li Sig and ive read both good and bad some people swear bye them and claim them to be a brilliant bridge when setup properly.
The Egen comes with "special" locking studs. I have been led to believe that the other Edge Zeros do not come with these "special" locking studs.

I'm pretty sure the special is just the fact that they don't come on other EZ but I don't actually know anything other then on Ibanez's site they call it the, "Edge-Zero E-Gen Custom".

But that's likely just marketing.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:44 PM

Thumbs down Re: Any views on Edge Zero Bridge ?

EZ bridge Indeed,

a major dissapointment for 2009, IBZ will loose out on alot of business this year because of their EZ bridge. Ibanez seems to be doing everything neccessary to kill off their beloved RG line, and they don't even realize the HUGE mistake they are making with this bridge.

Thats not very intelligent, for a company who's major endorsee's are Steve Vai & Joe Satriani. Why don't their signature models use the EZ bridge?... Exactly!... Because the bridge sucks. Does Ibanez think that people didn't notice this?

Its bad enough they didn't put any locking posts & anchors in the RG line in the past couple of years or so but this bridge is an insult. Its shamefull to see all of those great guitars they've designed go to waste like that. Its like buying a Lamborghini Diablo with automatic transmission? NOT!

Oh well, there's always ESP, Schecter & Fender. The death of the RG is at hand my friends, RIP Ibanez RG.

- IMO it was the greatest guitar ever designed, when it had the original edge.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 AM

ok so i was thinking of upgrading from my rg320fm (with the edgeIII bridge) but iv nackered the bridge on it, and i was thinking of buying a rg2550z soon, so should i go for this, or go for a ibanez with a edge pro on it?
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 PM

i don't really understand, why does everyone seem to hate this bridge? i'm either majorly missing something or everyone is still stuck in 1989 drooling over their steve vai posters.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:23 PM

I have had a rg2550z for couple of months now, and I haven't faced any problems and I think its a pretty decent trem, stays in good tune can take considerable amount of abuse but its a bit rigid though. But, not a "disappointment" as such, but anyway that's my pov
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The EZ has very good performance and decent feel, but that's it.
that's all i care about.

i couldn't care less how it scratches with time or the look of it.

rich mentioned the fine tuners. well, as long as the fine tuners work, i don't give a crap about how hard they are to get too, they're not hard enough so that you can't get to them at all! and they don't seem very insensitive to me.

trem tension? i can easily deal with having to adjust to a slightly stiffer/weaker spring system.

as far as i'm concerned, tuning stability in a trem is the top priority. if the thing can stay in tune and WORK, then i'm happy and my EZ does just that.

but that's just me opinion.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Vendor

Is there some reason you're defending it's honor like you designed it?

The fine tuners are not good, period. Work or not, that is a big part of a bridges performance to me. It does not return any better than an EP, or a Lo Pro, but has a distinct disadvantage to them. It also has the bathtub size rout behind it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode