Anybody else have an AT300 yet? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Anybody else have an AT300 yet?

Finally got mine after a 6-month wait (ordered at NAMM and Chesbro SUCKS!).

I can't say enough good things about this guitar. INCREDIBLE in every possible way! It's the definition of understated elegance. Classy, comfortable, GREAT tone, incredible neck and a perfect choice of electronics. In a word, "wow". It blows away the previous Timmons models (I've only played the AT100, but the 200 didn't really seem to be much different).

Check one out- it's well worth the time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 12:45 PM

Hey VaiJem,
I've been considering ordering one of these also. In fact, I was about to contact you to get your impression since I recalled you mentioned ordering one at NAMM. I'm curious what you think of the neck. If the specs in the catalog are correct, it's got some unusual dimensions (narrow and fat). But those specs are similar to the Blazer reissues (BL1025) which is about my favorite Iby neck.

The other model I'm considering is the Prestige SA1260: also H-S-S with a Wilkinson style trem. They have one down at Guitar X in Denver and I was able to play it very briefly last weekend. Any observations on how these 2 guitars compare? I remember several people speculating that Ibanez might have a hard time moving many AT300s given that the SA1260 was superficially similar (and much cheaper). BUT the AT300 is way classier looking, has better pickups, and I'd expect they get a lot more massaging before they leave the factory. So tell me more! You seem to be the only JemSiter with an AT300 so far.
Bert
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Hey Bert-

The AT300 really is a completely different guitar from the SA1260. Totally different body, VERY different neck. The AT300 looks like an "S" model from the front, but it's more like an arched RG with rounded horns (very much like the RG-ARCH). It's a much bigger chunk of mahogany than the 1260 and the result is a thicker, chunkier tone. The neck certainly feels more like the BL reissues than any of the Wizards. It's a bit beefier than the JS neck as well, but are similar in finish and feel. ULTRA-smooth Prestige finish just like the JS necks, and it really does feel "worn in" already. Probably my favorite Ibanez neck to date.

The trem is definitely the nicest vintage-style trem that I've played, even though I'm not much of a trem user. The AT300 already has great sustain, but once I get a Tremol-no in there it should just sing. It's been my main guitar since I picked it up and have already put it through the paces throughout more than a dozen gigs in the last few weeks. It definitely passes!

I'd pretty much gotten tired of Ibanez in general, but the AT300 singlehandedly renewed my interest. VERY nice instrument, even though I definitely don't see it becoming a best-seller.

Guitar X is a cool little store! Gary's a great guy and carries some top-notch boutique gear. I got my AT300 from Jason at DrumCity/Guitarland- I'm pretty sure he has a couple more on order- check with him if you're interested. I'm sure he'd make you a good deal
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 12:22 AM

Damn, I've wanted that guitar ever since I saw him play the early prototype model on the YG DVD, and now it looks even better! I esp. love those inlays....total class.

I too have been getting a little bit tired of Ibanez, but the AT300 looks too beautiful to pass up. However, the price seems a little high, plus I've been debating for a while now whether to get this or just save up a little more cash to get a Suhr or a Tom Anderson.

I still love my RG, esp. with the Tremol-no installed. But I really need a guitar with a S-S-H setup.

I hope the AT300 will be around for a while. I just bought a Taylor acoustic and Mesa Lonestar.....I need time! lol.

vaijem777- how are the frets? are they big enough? and how does the bridge humbucker sound compared to a Tone Zone?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 01:20 AM

Uh...am I missing something here? Didn't the AT300 used to have a cool set of inlays? Where'd these offset-dots come from?

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar...=AT300&z=y
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Uh...am I missing something here? Didn't the AT300 used to have a cool set of inlays? Where'd these offset-dots come from?

This has been discussed in a couple of previous threads already. Just shows how up-to-date Ibanez' website is. The prototype had dots but they felt the need to spruce it up a bit. So, the production model has the fleur-de-lis inlays.

The frets are fine- nice n' chunky. As for the bridge pickup, it's similar to the Tone Zone but seems to he a bit warmer. More usable in general IMHO. It's nothing groundbreaking or drastically different though. Chances are that it was based on a Tone Zone and just tweaked ever so slightly. Not bad though!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 03:16 PM

I asked DiMarzio Tech about the Timmons custom humbucker. They said the closest production pickup they have to it is the Breed. That jives with your Tone Zone comparison as they are fairly similar.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31

This has been discussed in a couple of previous threads already. Just shows how up-to-date Ibanez' website is. The prototype had dots but they felt the need to spruce it up a bit. So, the production model has the fleur-de-lis inlays.

The frets are fine- nice n' chunky. As for the bridge pickup, it's similar to the Tone Zone but seems to he a bit warmer. More usable in general IMHO. It's nothing groundbreaking or drastically different though. Chances are that it was based on a Tone Zone and just tweaked ever so slightly. Not bad though!
sweet!

I think I remember hearing Andy say that the bridge pickup is similar to a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier
Hey VaiJem,
I've been considering ordering one of these also. In fact, I was about to contact you to get your impression since I recalled you mentioned ordering one at NAMM. I'm curious what you think of the neck. If the specs in the catalog are correct, it's got some unusual dimensions (narrow and fat). But those specs are similar to the Blazer reissues (BL1025) which is about my favorite Iby neck.

The other model I'm considering is the Prestige SA1260: also H-S-S with a Wilkinson style trem. They have one down at Guitar X in Denver and I was able to play it very briefly last weekend. Any observations on how these 2 guitars compare? I remember several people speculating that Ibanez might have a hard time moving many AT300s given that the SA1260 was superficially similar (and much cheaper). BUT the AT300 is way classier looking, has better pickups, and I'd expect they get a lot more massaging before they leave the factory. So tell me more! You seem to be the only JemSiter with an AT300 so far.
Bert
hello ,

i was looking the at 300 and at 200 few months ago , and someone at ibanez told me that the sa 1260prestige was exactly the same body , with a better tremolo than the at 200 , and the same finishing .

minor differences (to me...) the inlays of the at 300 , the pickups (i just add a pafpro on my 1260 ) 2 volume knobs on the at series , and direct mounted bridge pickup .

neck radius is a little bit different too (250 mm on the 1260 et 305 mm on the at 300 ).

the price is just 3 times more expensive for the AT 300 , for nearly the same product .

no regrets, i took the sa 1260 prestige , + i can change the pickups for those i want , + i have real metal knobs on it and not those crappy plastic ones .
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 08:42 AM

I don't know how the pickup configuration on the AT 300 sounds like.
It should be pretty far from the paf pro ?

Are you sure the woods used are the same (age, quality, origin) etc ?

I've never seen one elsewhere than the internet, I'd be glad to see a real guitar. Don't think I can see one in Paris yet...
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanlan75018
I don't know how the pickup configuration on the AT 300 sounds like.
It should be pretty far from the paf pro ?

Are you sure the woods used are the same (age, quality, origin) etc ?

I've never seen one elsewhere than the internet, I'd be glad to see a real guitar. Don't think I can see one in Paris yet...
yes i am sure , it is exactly the same woods .
prestige necks on both guitars sa and at ...

really minor differences , the at 300 has the inlay , and much better pick ups , but i didn t want high output pickups on my sa that s why i have a paf pro .
i ll probably put a cruiser on the neck !
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez7addict
hello ,

i was looking the at 300 and at 200 few months ago , and someone at ibanez told me that the sa 1260prestige was exactly the same body , with a better tremolo than the at 200 , and the same finishing .
The simple truth is that somebody LIED to you Once again, the AT300 does NOT have an "S" body. From the front, they are about the same. That's where the comparison ends. The AT300 is MUCH thicker than any S. It' the thickness of an RG but is arched with rounded horns.

The differences between the trems is completely subjective. The SA1260 trem is pretty cheesy whereas the nice Wilkinson/Gotoh trem on the AT300 blows away a standard vintage-type trem.

Regardless, if you're spending that much on a guitar, you should have more common sense than to base your purchase on what somebody else tells you. Until you actually try out BOTH models in question, you're really not qualified to even have an opinion on the AT300.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez7addict
hello ,

The simple truth is that somebody LIED to you Once again, the AT300 does NOT have an "S" body. From the front, they are about the same. That's where the comparison ends. The AT300 is MUCH thicker than any S. It' the thickness of an RG but is arched with rounded horns.

The differences between the trems is completely subjective. The SA1260 trem is pretty cheesy whereas the nice Wilkinson/Gotoh trem on the AT300 blows away a standard vintage-type trem.
did i say that the at 300 has an S body ??? no i didnt !!!

may be you don t know what is an SA 1260 PRESTIGE !!!

the at 300 ,at 200 and SA have EXACTLY the same body , sa series is NOT an S !

the at 300 is an overpriced guitar , the neck inlay , tremolo , and pickups is not so expensive to justify the price !

buy it if you have enough money , but ibanez already made expensive crappy guitars , so they can make good overpriced ones....!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 11:43 AM

Hey Guys,
It's true that the SA bodies are different (slightly thicker) than the standard S bodies. I just calipered my SA160 (knock around travel guitar) and my S1520 and there's some difference, but not much. I played an SA1260 recently that seemed thicker still compared to my SA160. The trem (whatever they call it: SAT30-Pro or something?) was also different than the regular SAT30 on the lower end SA's.

It does seem like something odd happened with the simultaneous release of these two guitars. Here's a quote from an interview on the Ibanez Japan site (I printed it out so I could remember what pickups they were planning on using, but my printer cut off part of it, hence the ...):

IBANEZ: You are currently using an SA160 along with your signature Japan market AT 100... tell us what you like about the SA160.
ANDY: I'm most excited about the solid mahogany body. It's really got a tight focused (...). The signature AT100 guitar is more of a traditional alder body and maple neck guitar. The SA160 has more chunk and tighter low end because of the mahogany body and the great rosewood neck. (It) sparked my musical creativity.

And here's a quote I got from a distinguished Ibanez insider (who sometimes frequents this site): "The new AT will be an all mahogany body guitar following the SA profile. It has two Dimarzio Cruiser single coils in the neck and the middle and a custom wound pickup in the bridge... The neck is similar to the SA profile ... It has a regular SA type trem and Sperzels. Very sweet."

So I wonder what the deal was here? It seems like the early AT300 prototype was based on the SA and later it underwent some significant revisions. Maybe THAT prototype morphed into the SA1260, and they went a slightly different direction with the AT300. Most folks here think they misgauged the market, but I suppose we'll see if both models persist.

Anyway, I'm still planning on ordering the AT300 soon (once I part with a couple of other guitars), mostly because I really like the inlays, and I'd end up upgrading the pickups anyway. Plus (as I said earlier), I expect the AT300 gets a bit more love at the factory before they ship.

Hey VaiJem, maybe sometime you could check out the SA1260 down at GuitarX and give us a summary of the differences. I respect your opinions and would be interested in your informal review.

Cheers,
Bert
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 11:52 AM

Incidentally, I agree that spending big loot on a guitar without a test drive is not the best way to go. But my local Ibanez shop tells me that the AT300 is a special order guitar and they're not planning on stocking any. As best I can tell, there are none to be found in the intermountain west (other than VaiJems!). So, I have to rely on the pretty pics and the informed opinion of others, or ... ?
B

Tags
alder body , andy timmons , beautiful guitar , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , high output pickups , humbucker sound , ibanez neck , jeff beck , mahogany body , maple neck , neck inlay , neck pickup , neck radius , output pickup , paf pro , prestige necks , production model , rosewood neck , scalloped frets , seymour duncan , tone zone , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how many at300 ibanez made
ibanez at300 discontinued?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode