Anybody ever take the paint off an RGT42 neck? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Anybody ever take the paint off an RGT42 neck?

I'm interested in an RGT42, but I'm not a fan of painted necks. Has anyone here ever removed the paint off the back of an RGT42 neck? The spec's say it's a 5-piece neck - does it look like the back of the prestige necks with the stripes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 05:54 PM

Re: Anybody ever take the paint off an RGT42 neck?

I don't own a RGT42, but whenever i see one i think to myself "the first thing i would do is strip that paint off the neck!"

seriously, i think the paint can be stripped off no problem and you can just tung oil the neck for a much better feel. Assuming it's all done properly, the neck shouldn't have problems.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 06:15 PM

I believe that the 5 piece neck should have the stripes like the prestige necks. Assuming it's 3 pieces of maple and 2 pieces of something else. I remember stripping the paint off the neck on an Ibanez RGT42dxfm a few years ago and I'm pretty sure it had two strips of Bubinga or Wenge in the neck.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

I'm not worried about refinishing it - that's a piece of cake. I'm just curious as to how the wood would look once it's uncovered. Kinda like stripping a painted guitar body hoping to refinish it with a nice stain and finding out it's fourteen pieces of plywood glued together!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:24 AM

Mine has thicker strips of Mahogany or Walnut in between the Maple. Some Prestige necks have a very thin pinstripe between the Maple, but this RGT has thicker pieces, about 1/4". I see them faintly through the paint, but I haven't stripped the neck yet. One guy wants to buy the guitar, and he'll want the neck stripped. If that deal goes down in the next few days, I'll have it sanded and be able to tell you if it's Walnut or Mahogany.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:19 PM

if it's anuthing like my RGT i had if you take the trem cover off somewhere in there there may be a bit where the paint is very thin and you can see the 2 large wenge or bubinga stripes in there
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Frank - If you do strip that neck, I'd love to see some pics if you get a chance.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:11 PM

Use Tru Oil instead of Tung Oil to finish the neck. Tru Oil will feel just as nice, but will seal the neck against oil and sweat.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:26 PM

my rgt42 has the transparent red finish. can clearly see the walnut. quite thick and pretty.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 11:47 PM

I own an RGT42DXFM. The neck-thru is Maple with walnut strips
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
Frank - If you do strip that neck, I'd love to see some pics if you get a chance.
I'll see what I can do. I'm close to making a deal with a buyer for the guitar. So then I'll strip it for him. But if he doesn't buy, I'm going to leave the finish on just so I don't mess with the resale value. It's a guitar I won't keep, because I've since gotten an '86 neck thru Proline with Ebony and Sharkteeth, and I don't need 2 neck throughs.

And I do think it's Walnut in there, but it's hard to see. The truss rod recess is fully painted. You can only barely see through the grey inside the pickup cavities.

I actually thought if I DID keep it, I might strip it, and then plane down the top only on either side of the neck through, then install a Maple top, so the guitar would look like the Japanese Prestige RGT's.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
+1

Regards

André

Tags
guitar body , ibanez rgt , neck thru , pickup cavities , prestige necks , truss rod , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode