Anybody have an MMM1? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Anybody have an MMM1?

Just asking...the finish on that jam seems to be a bit susceptible. I was wondering about the stability of the neck in particular. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:56 AM

Re: Anybody have an MMM1?

are you asking about the MMM1 or a JEM? the MMM1 is neck-thru, no neck stability problems.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 AM

Either way, I've never seen anyone who's owned an MMM1 before.

Odd they still make it.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Dude if I was asking about a Jem I'd ask about a Jem. The reason I ask about neck stability is because that oil finish is relatively non-existant. I've been looking for a baritone but not necessarily one that i'd be down with the metulllllzzzzzzzz....hahaha. But yeah, I think I'm going to wait till they ship that PRS Mushok since it's got a finished neck on it...and I can get a deal on it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 PM

Maybe the use of the word "jam" in your post was too much like jem and was confusing. Just a guess.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:36 PM

I've played a few of them and I found them a little hard to play for various reasons, including the shape of the neck. The Fernandes baritone Ravelle is much easier to play and is worth a look, or there are some nice baritone Les Pauls and Telecasters out there.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 PM

I have one! It's amazing.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeChannel View Post
Dude if I was asking about a Jem I'd ask about a Jem. The reason I ask about neck stability is because that oil finish is relatively non-existant. I've been looking for a baritone but not necessarily one that i'd be down with the metulllllzzzzzzzz....hahaha. But yeah, I think I'm going to wait till they ship that PRS Mushok since it's got a finished neck on it...and I can get a deal on it.
What does oil finish have to do with neck stability? you think a thick coat of clear will prevent a crap neck from warping??
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz View Post
What does oil finish have to do with neck stability? you think a thick coat of clear will prevent a crap neck from warping??
No but with a mahogany neck, a thin coat at best will wear away and the wood tends to disintegrate at a high rate (much higher than any other wood, notice you never see an unfinished mahogany neck). That'll happen with an R8 neck that's sanded down or a Hondo that brand doesn't matter. Keep in mind I'm no n00b, and I've owned a fair amount of gear in my day. I'm just wondering how durable this particular model is from people that might own it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeChannel View Post
Dude if I was asking about a Jem I'd ask about a Jem. .
right, but since many, oddly, keep bad-type JEM as "jam", and since "stability" has nothing to do with "durability" i assumed there was something wrong in your post. sorry
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

It's of no consequence at this point I'm actually investigating another avenue...that steinberger synapse...I'm not sure how that's going to pan out. My main concern in looking at the mmm1 is how the finish destabilizes over time with heavy play, some of the other options out there don't have that issue but might require some more tweaking, the synapse looks interesting tho' with the rolling capo. Also,I did notice that I post the way I talk at times so I apologize for the confusion...it's sort of weird I guess.

Last edited by TheOrangeChannel; 05-15-2008 at 10:14 AM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 04:00 AM

nope...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Hi, I just have a question regarding the MMM1. I want to tune it an entire octava lower than standard E to act as a lower octave to reinforce finger-picking done on a guitar tuned to standard E. Will I be able to tune the low string to an E that's that low? I'm planning on using a 0.74 gauge string. I have tried this with a GIO and the string does get the low E but its very loose, therefore I want to try the baritone length.

Please advise.

Thank you!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Reviews: 11

for that low id go for a .80 at least. that E (which is the same E as a bass) is a REALLY hard one to keep tight. theres a reason the standard E for bass is a 1.05.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AifxY...eature=related

let this be proof however that they CAN get that low. this dude is tuned to D standard. but an octave lower. which means a full step lower than yours. and IMO, it sounds awesome!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 03:38 PM

nevermind.

Tags
les paul , les pauls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode