Anybody heard of Abyss guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Anybody heard of Abyss guitars

I just went to the guitar show in Chicago and ran into a custom builder that goes by abyss guitars. His custom work was just stunning!!! His inlay skills are incredible. He's expensive I think? As I dont know how much custom guitars normally go for his start at $5500 and go to about $15000. If anyone has one of his guitars let me know how they are? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 03:27 PM

Re: Anybody heard of Abyss guitars

at least 1 person on here has one, a 7 string, and it looks sick.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 05:24 PM

yep i saw his booth a the dallas guitar show . has some badass looking guitars . I didn't get a chance to check them out there were quite a few people milling around the booth.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 05:34 PM

No!!!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 07:54 PM

I visted with the owner/luthier and his wife at the Dallas guitar show.
He was cool to talk too and really nice.
Absolutely stunning stuff. Not really guitars, but art. I don't think I have ever seen guitars as beautiful as his.

And he gets BIG dollars for them.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

And he gets BIG dollars for them.[/QUOTE]

Ya the guitar I was looking at I got him down to $7500. I was so tempted but I didnt want to make an impulse buy at that amount. heres a pic off of his website.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

The Abalone binding is beautiful and the brazilian board with the inlays were just perfectly done.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:33 PM

Found it, its Adams.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=42
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Anybody heard of Abyss guitars

It looks like they are Pederson custom now. The guys stuff is awesome!!!

It seems right up Darins alley...
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post

Thats beautiful, he had a six string version at the table today. If you get a chance visit his website. hes got a version called the last supper and the inlay is just nuts! It is by far the most intricate design Ive ever seen.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractionallz View Post
Thats beautiful, he had a six string version at the table today. If you get a chance visit his website. hes got a version called the last supper and the inlay is just nuts! It is by far the most intricate design Ive ever seen.

Yea, the last supper was incredible. I also loved the one with the hand of God, and the duck hunter.

He also had one with these really bad ass lizards.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:10 PM

yeah i got one. it's freaking amazing. he's great to work with too. I paid about 6300 for mine 2 years ago. I just got a replacement cost worksheet for insurance purposes. $7500. I would definitely spend it again. My favorite guitar i've ever played. That pic I posted of it doesn't do it justice. That vine inlay he has now was actually first done on the guitar he built for me. we kinda designed it together. I had layout idea and he changed the colors of each section. Red stoned for main leaves. abalone for other leaves, different wood for the stem. As stated above though, they are art pieces, but doesn't mean they aren't guitars. they play and sound amazing. Plays better than any gibson, PRS, Suhr that i've ever played. I took a gamble with that because i hadn't ever played them, but I LOVED the body style so i talked with him for a good while about putting one together. The gamble really paid off, becuase i rarely pick my ibanez anymore, and i even sold my 8527. It just plays so much better.

7500 for that one above is a REALLY good price. consideing the arched back as well and that neck detail. Worth it man.. you'll love it. I'm thinking (very loosely thinking) about getting a single cut 6 string. Not nearly as customized as the ones above. It's more so i can have one to play out instead, and kinda not treat as nicely. I play my 7 at home, but i would never take it to a gig.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:34 PM

keep in mind too.. if you were to go to gibson, PRS, or some other high end custom builder for a one-off custom, you'd be spending a lot of money as well. i believe at one time PRS custom shops started at $10000 or so??
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcbest View Post
keep in mind too.. if you were to go to gibson, PRS, or some other high end custom builder for a one-off custom, you'd be spending a lot of money as well. i believe at one time PRS custom shops started at $10000 or so??
It depends on what you are going for, I'm not sure what PRS's custom shop starts at, but keep in mind that their cheapest, real PRS is the Mira which is something like $1700.

I'm not sure about Gibson or Fender, but if you look at more the companies where custom shops are a larger aspect of their business, that is pretty high, and very high compared to the good boutique brands.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:51 PM

any builder who makes carved top guitars, allowing the user's own specs completely (custom inlay, custom body wood choice, custom color choice, neck shape, etc) is going to cost oodles of money. Alembic, McNaught, Very customized Suhrs, Abyss, actual custom shop (probably completely different divisions than standard models) PRSs, Gibsons, etc all charge 5 grand + for their top of the line one off customs. So really the prices for Abyss (Pedersons) are on par with any other true handmade customs. Some alembics i've seen in the 20000+ range.. same with PRSs with extensive inlay work, like the custom dragon models. So really i don't think Abyss is anymore higher priced than any other true custom builder.

EDIT: I'm not saying at all that there aren't good builders who make good products for less than those large amounts of money, becuase there definitely are. Just saying that, of that high end sort of "art" style guitar, don't be surprised to see very high prices.

Tags
abalone binding , custom guitar , custom guitars , dot inlay , local luthier , neck shape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode