Anyone besides me think Martin and Taylors - are a big rip o - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Anyone besides me think Martin and Taylors - are a big rip o

im having this debate at another forum where I post and just wondering if anyone besides me thinks this way?

heres the other forum.

http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/sh...threadid=12911
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 01:37 PM

Anyone besides me think Martin and Taylors

Martins are decent, but every Taylor I've ever played has left me saying "why the f#%k would someone pay so much for this lame sounding guitar?".

Don't get me wrong; the quality is top notch. But the tone blows.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Polaris20 on 4:37 pm on April 18, 2002
Martins are decent, but every Taylor I've ever played has left me saying "why the f#%k would someone pay so much for this lame sounding guitar?".

Polaris.........I feel the same way about Martins that you do about Taylor's.......lol. *I can't stand Martins, but absolutely love Taylors. *I will not buy an acoustic if its not a Taylor. *
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 07:34 PM

I've got a Sigma (made by Martin) and I absolutely love it. *My grandmother bought it in a pawn shop for $60 for my 15th birthday. *I usually keep light gauge Dean Markley's on it. *With the right strings, the tone is very full. *Never played a Taylor, so I can't comment about them.

-Jeff
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 09:05 PM

Quote:
jem777az on 6:03 pm on April 18, 2002
Quote:

Polaris.........I feel the same way about Martins that you do about Taylor's.......lol. *I can't stand Martins, but absolutely love Taylors. *I will not buy an acoustic if its not a Taylor. *
That's what makes it a free country. Besides, acoustic tone is so subjective it's pointless saying what is best.

Call me crazy, but I like Seagulls the best. I've A/B'd them with the Taylors, Martins, and Tacomas, and found them to be the most pleasing to my ear. But that's just me.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 10:20 PM

Taylor makes some gorgeous guitars, but...tonally I find them lacking. *I guess I'm old-fashioned in that I can't really take seriously an acoustic guitar with a bolt-on neck. *There's a lack of artistry there. *With a nice Martin D-28, 35 or 41, there's just something there. *I'm particularly fond of the pre-1970 Brazilian rosewood Martins. *There is a certain purity of the instrument that comes through in the feel and sound. *However, I'm currently a devoted Lowden fan. *They're incredible! *

Seagulls are great for the price, but again...bolt-on neck. *Same with most Tacoma's (at least the Chief and Roadking flagship models). *Taylor's are just fancier versions. *

There are benefits to both, I'm sure. *Just as there are benefits that a Strat or an RG have over a Les Paul or a PRS (and vice versa.). *It all boils down to personal taste, but...when it comes to acoustics, I
prefer a hand-set dovetail joint over a couple of screws anyday.

In either case...you get what you pay for. *There is a reason that a Martin D-28 can cost upwards of $2K. *There is a lot of work and man hours that go into the making of one. *However, I have a hard time justifying an even higher price for a comparable Taylor. *Once the neck and body are ready...two bolts are all it takes to complete the guitar. *

Just my $.02 worth though. *

(Edited by vaijem777 at 10:23 pm on April 18, 2002)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:59 AM

Quote:
jem777az on 6:03 pm on April 18, 2002
Quote:

HAHAHA.
Thats exactly what I was goona post:-}

Im with jem777az all the way here guys.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:01 AM

To throw a wrench into the mix.. I would have to say
Larivee is the rip off of the upper end acoustics...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:12 AM

Reviews: 3

I think Taylors are for guitarists that can't play acoustics. *They are always built with thin necks and super low action. *Small frets too. *Tone? *Sounds like aluminum foil.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:18 AM

Reviews: 5

hmm.. i won't comment on the tone of either brand since I personally find accoustics pretty boring. *But I will say this in regard to price:

Guitarists are a spoiled bunch. *Compare your hobby to that of automobile enthusiasts. *Want to completely change your guitar? *$100.00 pickup. *Want to change your Corvette? *$3000.00 engine (and that's just the start).

2k for a great Taylor or Martin isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. *(Of course I realize that everything's relative, and if you haven't $200, then $2000.00 seems like a lot).

All in all, I don't think either one is over-priced for a good guitar, but I do think that Martins are over-hyped. *I don't hear the *magical* tone that everyone supposedly hears. *I think it's much like the alleged Harley Davidson feel of a motorcycle.. Mostly brand name allegiance.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 08:34 AM

Can't say anything about over $1500 ones, but under that I chose between Taylor & Martin a few years ago. *Went with a Taylor 412ce (small bodied one). *Tone is great, as long as you don't need full bass. *It's "sweet". *The full size ones had the bass, but I wanted greater comfort and always rolled bass off when recording anyway. *

Small frets are standard on many acoustics (jumbos would be more for "guitarists WHO can't play acoustics" ;-)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 09:21 AM

There are really only 2 or 3 current Martin models that I'd even touch...if I were to purchase another acoustic, it would be either a 35+ year old Martin or a Lowden F-series cutaway. *My Lowden was the fullest sounding acoustic I've ever played. *
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 11:43 AM

Quote:
vaijem777 on 2:21 pm on April 19, 2002
There are really only 2 or 3 current Martin models that I'd even touch...if I were to purchase another acoustic, it would be either a 35+ year old Martin or a Lowden F-series cutaway. *My Lowden was the fullest sounding acoustic I've ever played. *
I was just about to bring Lowden into it when I spotted this. Beautiful guitars and a benchmark by which other acoustics should be judged IMHO. (I'd still really like a Taylor Baby for afternoons in the park tho!!)
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:55 PM

Quote:
jay ratkowski on 4:12 am on April 19, 2002
I think Taylors are for guitarists that can't play acoustics. *They are always built with thin necks and super low action. *Small frets too. *Tone? *Sounds like aluminum foil.
Didn't Stevie Vai play a purple Taylor acoustic? *I know when he was with Whitesnake and I was working one of the shows that he had a Taylor in his guitar rack. *I guess that means Steve can't play an acoustic huh? *;o)
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:13 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
jem777az on 11:55 am on April 19, 2002
Quote:
jay ratkowski on 4:12 am on April 19, 2002
Didn't Stevie Vai play a purple Taylor acoustic? *I know when he was with Whitesnake and I was working one of the shows that he had a Taylor in his guitar rack. *I guess that means Steve can't play an acoustic huh? *;o)
I guess so.

Tags
acoustic guitar , beautiful guitar , dean markley , electric guitar , les paul , sounding guitar , stevie vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode