anyone else like warmoth?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

anyone else like warmoth??

so this is what i have, i love back to my roots on the ibanez guitars but i had to go all out this time

22 fret s.s. frets
13 deg angled headstock corian nut
reverse headstock
maple with ebony fretboard 16 inch flat radius
alder boxy hxh route rear route controls
both body and neck are completely tung oil except the fretboard
hard tun finish
minwax tung oil wtered down 1 parts spirit to 6 parts minwax...altho minwax is already a 50/50 tung oil/spirit mix...
first coat thick 20 dry time
second coat thick 20 min dry time
third coat thick dry time45 min
foirth coat thin and wipe off at 5 minutes, dry time for 20
then wet sand both body and neck with denatured alcohol and 0000 steel whool
body was finished
then one more coat of tung oil on neck, thin, wipes off after 5 min, dry for 40
one more coat of tung oil on neck, thin wiped off at 5 let dry for 3 days
0000 steel whool till silky smooth

then all cavities wereshielded, then shielded over again, and full seam dry solder grounded out with a shielded ground wire(coax cable - shielded specialty cable)
then all wiring done standard
push pull pot coil tapping 1 meg pot
3 way lp switch
tone pot .022 cap 500k pot
three signal wires 22pg coax from pot to pot to swoitchcraft output jack

kahler 3310 s.s saddle fixed fine tuner bridge with locking schaller floyd tuners....no locking nut, just corian nutt, and has strap locks

did i miss soemthing??

what do you guys think??

Last edited by losgatosrg350dx; 04-06-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 06:05 PM

Re: anyone else like warmoth??

Love the naturals.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:37 AM

It looks nice but I feel like Warmoth drastically overcharges a lot of time.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post

wow i paid nearly nothing for this....
190 for the body
and about 230 for the neck, both unfinished

granted they charge a assload for finishing the stuff, u they do a great job

but the prices are definetely decent, ot A better supplier, better prices let me know
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM

Question Re: anyone else like warmoth??

Did you get the Wizard profile neck? If so, how does it compare to the actual Wizard?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

yeah i deff got the wizzard, and to my knowledge its the best neck i ever played

even thier standard thin sold me on a aria pro i played years ago with aria pro body, it was unfinished and it was 8 years of playing and it was spectacular

i got a wizzzard, and i love it

everyone i know sands them down more

but no it was nice my new warmoth is only like about 3 months old or even less, i just got it and finished it a couple months ago

the neck is super fast, and feels super flat on the back, my hand doesnt roll off more on the top or bottom, and the edges are clean
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
................. you are kidding, right? How about $338 for an overwidth SOLID Indian Rosewood 22 fret Strat neck with a Graphtech nut and stainless steel frets - that's overpriced?

The last JEM VWH neck that sold on Ge**** went for over $700!!!!!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:41 PM

I really want a Warmoth guitar and Losgatos just sold me on getting one eventually. I just wish you could have a few more headstock option. I know you can custom design them but, I don't know a few more styles would be nice. ALso, I'd like if they had an RG type body. They have a wizard neck, but not RG body. A little strange to me.

That all being said, I'll probably get a soloist style and make it look a lot like a Suhr someday.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:49 PM

You'd probably find it is a copyright issue - Warmoth pay Fender a royalty for every neck that they sell with a Fender headstock shape - while that probably makes sense for them due to volume sales, to do the same with Ibanez might be prohibitively expensive.

Warmoth stuff is great, but you will have to do a little final sanding to get the necks dead right - I get the feeling from the two I have used so far that they pretty much come straight off the CNC machine.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
granted they charge a assload for finishing the stuff, u they do a great job
Do they really? I paid $270USD for a superbly finished Alder Strat body from them - would have taken me many hours to achieve the same quality of finish, so if I put my time against their cost, it still seems pretty reasonable to me....?
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
You'd probably find it is a copyright issue - Warmoth pay Fender a royalty for every neck that they sell with a Fender headstock shape - while that probably makes sense for them due to volume sales, to do the same with Ibanez might be prohibitively expensive.
I figured, I was just saying that I would like it.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:18 PM

Thats a fine looking axe.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 12:08 AM

looks fine to me, is that an X2N in the bridge? I have one thats been laying around for years that I'm tempted to slap back in one of my RG's.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
I really want a Warmoth guitar and Losgatos just sold me on getting one eventually. I just wish you could have a few more headstock option. I know you can custom design them but, I don't know a few more styles would be nice. ALso, I'd like if they had an RG type body. They have a wizard neck, but not RG body. A little strange to me.

That all being said, I'll probably get a soloist style and make it look a lot like a Suhr someday.
ok this is how it works, they have a custom shop i got them a life size drawing of a stealth body was poplar with birdeye maple on top, did it for a budd, and also got a reverse jackson style headstock with ne other side shape, we made a half arrow out of it

they will do anything even if its not on the site, they send it to thier custom dept. and for the body it was a extra 40 to have it skilsawed out just like how i wanted it, and they got the bevels done by ha d and looked superb.....they will also make a 9 ply ebony full neck....im dreaming still the say will come when i get a full wendge v-2 with a alder top and a full ebony neck with full scallop and no inlays

one day

and yeah i have to agree, a local cnc woodshop can do the work maybe a bit cheaper, but they have exceptional woods, i say exceptional, i do alot with them, and the prices really arent bad!!!!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkyHauler View Post
looks fine to me, is that an X2N in the bridge? I have one thats been laying around for years that I'm tempted to slap back in one of my RG's.

yes i experimented with a couple options
but i think that the only way to go with the x2n is a 2 meg pot for volume with a .044 tone cap on it also, and rolled down 1/20th a turn was perfect sound function and dynamics, but i opted to use a duncan distortion in the neck, so in this case i used a 1 meg push pull to tap each pne in center select position, and the tone pot is 500k with a .022, so like at full volume and tone at 4/5ths it would scream and i could tap one coil of each and have all volume and all tone and the tapping dynamics are spectaculaaaarrrr

x2n doesnt like any volume pots under 1 meg, oi tried a 500k once, nahhhh didnt like it

Tags
abalone inlays , alder strat , coil tap , coil tapping , custom shop , david mccarroll , dot inlay , dot inlays , duncan distortion , ebony fretboard , ebony neck , flame maple , flamed maple , fretboard wood , headstock shape , ibanez guitars , jem neck , jem vwh , locking nut , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , meg pot , reverse headstock , rosewood neck , stainless steel frets , steel frets , strap lock , strap locks , strat body , truss rod , truss rod cover , tung oil , volume pots , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode