Anyone else think Gibson Les Pauls are overrated? - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:13 PM

Re: Anyone else think Gibson Les Pauls are overrated?

So you want cheaper LPs with more expensive parts?
Let me know how that works out for you.

I dont get the Dimarzio/ Duncan thing here either. People act like those are the only 2 companies in the world that can make good pickups.
Most of their pickups are based on Gibson pickups anyway. How many of their current line up uses the term "PAF" to describe their pickups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:18 PM

i Think theyre overrated. But good guitars!
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:18 PM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the stock Gibson humbuckers. When someone says they should come with Duncans or DiMarzios instead I have to wonder if they've ever played a Gibson at all.
post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:23 PM

Reviews: 1

here we go again
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the stock Gibson humbuckers. When someone says they should come with Duncans or DiMarzios instead I have to wonder if they've ever played a Gibson at all.
Hear hear - the Classic 57 is one of the nicest sounding humbucking pickups available - closely followed by the Burstbuckers - tone, not sheer bludgeoning output.

Actually thinking of putting Burstbuckers in the PRS 22.....
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:28 PM

57 Classics are awesome pickups.
I like the Burstbucker Pros better than the Burstbuckers, but personally Im not sure if either BB or BB Pro would be in my top 5. 57 Classics on the other hand are definately top 2, if not my favorite.
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
So you want cheaper LPs with more expensive parts?
Let me know how that works out for you.

I dont get the Dimarzio/ Duncan thing here either. People act like those are the only 2 companies in the world that can make good pickups.
Most of their pickups are based on Gibson pickups anyway. How many of their current line up uses the term "PAF" to describe their pickups?
basically, I don't want to have buy a guitar for an outrageous price, and then still have to upgrade.. I don't like the sound of stock gibson pickups, and I don't play guitars without locking machine heads..
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
thats completely up to the persons taste.
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
basically, I don't want to have buy a guitar for an outrageous price, and then still have to upgrade.. I don't like the sound of stock gibson pickups, and I don't play guitars without locking machine heads..
An outrageous price like the $800 a Vintage Mahogany costs? THere it is again, people complaining about the price when there are cheaper alternatives still made by Gibson. You dont have to spend $2000 on a Standard to get a Les Paul.
If my math is right that's less than people were paying for RG20ths that they were going out and replacing pickups in.
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:45 PM

what is the average price of a brand new LP?
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:50 PM

A Standard. a Custom, a Classic, a Studio, a Faded Standard, a Vintage Mahogany, a Classic Plus, a Supreme, a Vixen, a Goddess, a GT, a BFG, a double cut, an R6, R7, R8, R9, or R0, the robot? A Slash, a Zakk, a Warren Haynes? One of the guitars of the week they put out? You need to be more specific.
post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:52 PM

I forgot, the Classic Antique, Classic Custom, Standard Premium Plus, Smartwood Studio, Studio Premium Plus, Swamp Ash Studio, Special and Special New Century
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 07:00 PM

oh wow, amazing.. im in awe
post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 07:03 PM

I've not been impressed by the LP's coming into the UK recently. The fit/finish on them has been pretty poor for guitars costing £1200.... BUT I am a fully confirmed and converted Les Paul fan. I was lucky enough to be asked on stage for a couple of songs with a friends band. I didn't have a guitar/amp with me that night so he leant me his 2002 Honey burst standard and I plugged that into the support bands Engl powerball. I had no pedals, no effects at all and only had time to guess at a quick setting on the amp.
Holy cow! It played and sounded perfect! Not good, not great but Perfect! What a fantastic guitar. I was realy impressed and I can't wait until I can get enough money saved up to get one of my own.

There, I think the ying/yang balance of this thread has been evened out a little.

Eggy
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 07:22 PM

Why would you need to put Duncans or Dimarzios in a Les Paul? Most of their stock pickups are great.
Closed Thread

Tags
aaa maple , acoustic guitar , alex skolnick , bridge position , clean tone , coil tap , custom shop , david mccarroll , duncan invader , engl powerball , flame maple , gibson les paul , hollow body , humbucking pickup , jimmy page , les paul , les paul classic , les paul custom , les paul standard , les paul studio , les pauls , mahogany body , output pickup , paf pro , piezo bridge , practice amp , seymour duncan , swamp ash , triple recto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode