Anyone else think Gibson Les Pauls are overrated? - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
bdk

Re: Anyone else think Gibson Les Pauls are overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
To start with Destroyers were made by Ibanez. Plus I didn't know you automatically needed to replace the pickups in a Les Paul. Hmmm.... guess I must have missed that memo or fad.

How many threads do we see on here asking "what pups to put in my Ibanez?" So you've got to be kidding if you think changing pups is only "required" on Les Pauls.

I've heard players complain about every brand of pickup manufactured and in all brands of guitars. You know.... I need more sustain, more bottom end, more top end, more mids! Again, you're making this blanket statement with little thought given.

Same with coil taps and phase switches..... someone somewhere is tearing into a guitar (name any brand) and adding this or that. It's got absolutely nothing to do with or is unique to Les Pauls.

We have members of this forum that swear all guitars should have EMG's loaded in them and plugged into a Mesa Triple Recto.....! Like that's the only way to get good tone! Again, all personal preference.

Like OMG dude.... can't you hear the sustain coming from this post? I mentioned Ibanez, EMG's, and Mesa Engineering at the same time!

As far as Clean tones from a Les Paul, maybe you should go and talk to some older players. Or try this...... consider what a guitar is plugged into, the player, and the type of music before drawing your conclusions and start passing off your judgment on any guitar brand or model as having real merit.

What you fail to realize is every guitar is different, along with each player. What appeals to one won't to another. But to cast judgment on a particular model..... well is surely shows you've had limited exposure to, or have a narrow set of criteria you're basing your opinion on.

Far too many hit songs ( in all genres) have been made, as well as good players have utilized Les Pauls to display good tone.

Oh, and what's this about posers? You're from L.A.? Well OMG dude...... you're from the poser capitol of America! Los Angeles, California! Come on now.... be honest here! When exactly was the last time you strapped on that GR520 "GhostRider" and glanced in the mirror while listening to your fav H/M band? I mean you WILL deny that right?

Maybe you should heed your own advice...... so you won't appear so "one dimensional".

"Think for yourself. Use your ears to determine tone," and for God's sake use your head. Don't just spew trash...... BTW, what was that you said about "what people tell you"?

You got no clue what you're talking about. First of all Ibanezes cost about 1/2 of a Gibson. so yeah, throwing some pups in is fine. PRS's come with nice pups. I've just talked to a lot of my buddies who buy Les Pauls and they upgrade the pups, yes typically to other Gibson pickups, but they just dropped 2k on that guitar! It's a PRICE ISSUE bud. Not a name brand issue.

I didn't say people don't add coil taps, or other mods to their Ibanezes. My point is: they don't need to. Ibanezes are largely known as versatile guitar, hence H/S/H or SSH configs are quite common, and 5 way pickup selectors as well. My point was this: LP's are one dimensional, Jimmy Page modifying his was just an EXAMPLE of that.

My judgment on Les Pauls is not based on limited exposure, it's actually based on my personal search for a les paul, a couple of my close friend''s les pauls, and then people I know more peripherally. I didn't just roll over and have a beef against LP's. Actually, I was beginning the GAS for them a few years back and was just disappointed in the overrated overpriced models I found.

I like the accusation of wearing that ghostrider though! And I will deny that! funny mental pic. but you really have no clue what you're talking about. Then you say, I should stop bad mouthing LP's to stop sounding one dimensional? what? that doesn't even make sense. I like PRS, even old Fender's. So it's not like I'm against ALL american made expensive guitars, I jus tthink Gibbys are overpriced and overrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
bdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
Lets see if I have understood what you are saying...

"X" product sucks donkey balls because I prefer "Y".

Excelent argument you presented there... I particularly like the way you use your opinion as some sort of evidence to back up your blanket statements and generalisations.

You did say a couple of things that ring true and make sense, such as...

"I don't know man."

"Maybe I have no taste in guitars"

And the best one yet... "Think for yourself", yes, I believe I will think for myself, thankyou.

Just for the record, I'm not the biggest fan of Les Pauls personally, but I have never felt the need to insult people who are.

Sorry to bag on people who think their opinion is fact, I'm not saying everyone who does this is an idiot, just 95% of them.

Rock on!
you're funny man, you say I have no taste in guitars and to think for yourself, and then you agree with me that you don't like LPs. Do you see a problem there? No? OK, just go back to sleep then.
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
bdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMmmmm View Post
+1

People that say LP's suck have never played a good one - simple as that.
Tell me a good model and I'll go play it.
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
bdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
I'm not much for Les Pauls, but the word IDIOT does spring into my mind fairly quickly. Lester Paulson, who basically designed the guitar, and after whom it was named, played mainly light jazz on a Les Paul, and I have heard everything from country to Zappa being played on Les Pauls - all of which the guitar handles very nicely thank you very much.

A Les Paul Studio, which I believe you can buy new in the USA for about a grand sounds pretty much as good as any other Les Paul - what you pay for is cosmetics on the higher end models, and I would imagine that 99% of Gibson owners buy one because they like them, or have always wanted one, not to show off.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about - as Cid said, yawn.
A Les Paul studio is the same as any other Les Paul except for cosmetics?
I always though that one of the most basic desires of Les Paul players is that they want the chambered mahogany body. A studio is a block of wood, a sUpreme has the chambered body. By the way, having a chambered body vs . a chunk of painted wood does cost a little bit more there bud.

not to mention more expensive models have better pickups, and better woods, AAAA maple vs. standard. What the heck are you talking about?

Yeah, Les Paul also totally modifies his own LP's, most notably he personally winds his own pickups! which is my point! I think you need to go back to your lawn, get in your truck and go back to school son! Especially when calling another man an idiot. you're a fool.
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 08:58 PM

Whatever happened to agreeing to disagree and to each his own?
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 08:58 PM

All Les Pauls except the Custom Shop Reissues are chambered now due to people crying that they were too heavy. The most basic desire of a Les Paul player is to get a solid mahogany body since thats what the originals were. In the mid 80s they went to weight relieving and now they chamber just about everything.
The Studios come with the exact pickups that are in the Customs and Supremes (490R/498T)

Do you really have any idea what you are talking about, or do you just think if you ramble enough someone will believe you?

Last edited by elcid; 12-17-2007 at 09:22 PM.
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk View Post
A Les Paul studio is the same as any other Les Paul except for cosmetics?
I always though that one of the most basic desires of Les Paul players is that they want the chambered mahogany body. A studio is a block of wood, a sUpreme has the chambered body. By the way, having a chambered body vs . a chunk of painted wood does cost a little bit more there bud.

not to mention more expensive models have better pickups, and better woods, AAAA maple vs. standard. What the heck are you talking about?

Yeah, Les Paul also totally modifies his own LP's, most notably he personally winds his own pickups! which is my point! I think you need to go back to your lawn, get in your truck and go back to school son! Especially when calling another man an idiot. you're a fool.

I don't really think I need to go back to school, given that I spent about ten years of my life repairing guitars, including hundreds of Les Pauls - now, at the risk of perpetuating a stupid thread:

I did not say a Les Paul Studio sounds better, or is better than any other Les Paul, but they ARE a fine, great sounding Gibson USA guitar that you can buy for less than $1000. The more expensive Les Pauls have prettier wood, but that actually doesn't make them sound any better at all - the intrinsic Les Paul sound comes from a Mahogany neck, a Mahogany body and about 3/4" of carved Acer Saccharum (that's be Hard Rock Maple) well glued to the top of the body - guess what! That's exactly what a Les Paul Studio is made of! Studios, along with Les Paul Classics, have higher output pickups than Standards and Customs - sometimes they are ceramic, sometimes they are alnico magnet pickups, depending on how Gibson feel in that particular production run - these are NOT inferior pickups to say Burstbuckers, they are just different, that's all

Gibson started chambering Les Pauls because too many people were complaining that new Les Pauls weigh far more than the fifties ones - shucks, I don't know why, maybe the Mahogany is slightly different, maybe it isn't dried as thoroughly, but it's true, fifties Les Pauls almost invariably weigh MUCH less than seventies, eighties and nineties Les Pauls (and, yes I have played about fifty or sixty Les Pauls from the 1950s) - so on most models they now "chamber" the Mahogany and fill the chambers with a timber called Chromyte - that's a fancy term for Balsa Wood. Before you scoff, Balsa Wood has pretty close to the highest strength to weight ratio of any hardwood (and yes, it is a hardwood). What this does is give the guitar back some of the "airiness" of fifties Les Pauls, as well as cutting down the chiropractor's bills. I agree that Les Paul Supremes are very pretty, but bear in mind that from 1952 until 1957/8, all Les Paul Standards had a nice coat of gold paint on the Maple - if you strip this, some have flame, most are very plain - the "tone" comes from the construction, not the figure of the timber - so, Supremes sound pretty good, but it ain't the figure of the wood that's doing it. For that matter, all Fifties, and all current Les Paul Customs are actually all mahogany

Les Paul himself is an inveterate tinkerer - he loves playing with things - he did wind his own pickups (in about 1954 I'd imagine) - he also is (wrongly) credited with inventing the solid body guitar, when he replaced the hollow body of his Epiphone Jazz Box with a silid centre strip to make it easier to play with a cast on (after he broke his arm) - but Paul Bigsby had been building solid Birdseye Maple guitars for quite a few years before Lester Paulson came along. Les himself seemed to settle on the original Les Paul Recording Model many many years ago (big black low impedance pickups), and every photo I have seen of Les for about the last twenty years is him playing what looks like a dead stock Les Paul Recording Model.

I actually DO know what I am talking about, but in any case, a guitar is only as versatile as you want to make it - if you plug a Les Paul into a Rectifier, it will sound like a buzz saw, but so will everything else - as I said, I've seen people playing everything from Chicken Pickin' to Metal on Les Pauls, they are as versatile as any other guitar out there. Are they overpriced - I dunno - a good bookmatched top billet runs to $600 - $1000 nowadays - Honduras Mahogany is not getting cheaper - they are made in the USA by people who have to survive in the same economic climate as you do, and hence have to be paid accordingly - I am not an enormous fan of Gibson, having switched to PRS a few years ago, but they are a top end instrument, expect to pay for that.

Oh well, suppose I'd better get in the truck then .........
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Studios, along with Les Paul Classics, have higher output pickups than Standards and Customs
See my above response. Studios, Customs and Supremes have the same pickups. Classics have the 498R and 500T, which personally I dont like. Standards have the Burstbucker Pros. Aside from that, Im with you man.
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Im with you man.
Awww, someone get me a tissue and a tampon please.
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:08 PM

They are ok, I like the tone of les paul, but what I hate most is the weight balance of the guitar.
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Awww, someone get me a tissue and a tampon please.
Arent you one of those pink guitar guys?
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Arent you one of those pink guitar guys?
Sure sugar and the carpet does match the drapes here ontop of hardwood flooring.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
thats completely up to the persons taste.
To a degree...If your idea of a great pickup is something like an X2N or Duncan Invader, then I suppose so. But if you're going to tell me you like the Jazz, '59, Seth Lover, PAF, PAF Pro, Pearly Gates, and the like, then I'll assume you either haven't given the Gibsons a good honest listen or you are speaking from ignorance of the pickups.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 11:13 PM

post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 11:32 PM

Buster may have the right idea
Closed Thread

Tags
aaa maple , acoustic guitar , alex skolnick , bridge position , clean tone , coil tap , custom shop , david mccarroll , duncan invader , engl powerball , flame maple , gibson les paul , hollow body , humbucking pickup , jimmy page , les paul , les paul classic , les paul custom , les paul standard , les paul studio , les pauls , mahogany body , output pickup , paf pro , piezo bridge , practice amp , seymour duncan , swamp ash , triple recto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode