Anyone ever try air brushing an old RG styled beater? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Anyone ever try air brushing an old RG styled beater?

Specifically, that cool JPM-1 Picasso artwork....I have never even used an airbrush, and some of the designs I've seen online look way over my capabilities....however...the JPM-1 with the Picasso artwork at least appears doable, considering each color is solid, with no tricky shading...so....I would think one thing that could make it enormously easier to have a go at, would be to have the original or even duplicates of the exact stencil (or whatever you would use) of the graphic....I have a great $70 black cheapie RG 220 that is begging to be 'upgraded'! Does anyone have experience doing this stuff? Doyou suppose one could contact Ibanez directly for the stencil,etc?

Obviously, the first step would be stripping the face down to wood I would think, and I've read the last step would be to take to an auto body detailer to spray the clear coat on.....If anyone knows of any online resources , I'd be happy to start researching this....specifically the JPM-1 graphic too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Anyone ever try air brushing an old RG styled beater?

Projectguitar.com has all the tuts you need, plus universaljems.com has the Picaso decal set--so you don't need to paint it.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Projectguitar.com has all the tuts you need, plus universaljems.com has the Picaso decal set--so you don't need to paint it.
Very cool, thanks for the info.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

you can make any image in your computer,print it and glued it over your sanded down guitar then clear coat it.
I did it about 8 years ago with a jackson.
Guitars are just a piece of wood so whatever you do if you don't like you can re-do it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
you can make any image in your computer,print it and glued it over your sanded down guitar then clear coat it.
I did it about 8 years ago with a jackson.
Guitars are just a piece of wood so whatever you do if you don't like you can re-do it.
This is true, but you've got to be careful of what type of ink and paper it is. Some inks don't play nice with certain types of clear coatings

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
This is true, but you've got to be careful of what type of ink and paper it is. Some inks don't play nice with certain types of clear coatings
Yep when I went to a printer shop guy asked me what kind of ink I used and what type of clear coat would be used.
It's really simple not a rockets science.
You can even print an image as a decal so you don't even have to use glue.
At that time I used white glue(wood glue).
No need to paint unless you're a painter and you really want to do it.
If not, use any internet picture,mnodify them or create your own images.
Simple as winning a Jem contest......................lol
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 01:22 AM

I do a lot of sublimation prints(over laminate and clear coated) and painting.
I'd stick with airbrushing/painting.

You'll learn a lot, paint colors are way more vibrant than any print and nothing beats the
pride of doing it yourself.

- Just sand it down, and apply about 4 or 5 light coats of primer sanding between coats.
- Trace out the guitar body on paper and generate your master artwork.
- Pickup some friskit film at any local hobby shop or professional paint mask at a local sign
shop(they should sell you a few feet. If not PM me.)
- The masking films are translucent so you can just trace the artwork onto the mask
using some fine tipped permanent markers. Transfer the film to the guitar and cut
out your areas one at a time, spray them and lay the piece back in to remask them.
- After you've completed all your sections, remove the mask and touchup and add detail.
- Scuff, clear and repeat. Done.

Try not to cut deep into the primer with the exacto, use acrylic paints they dry fast,
sand well and accept clear, and tack cloth your surfaces.

My two cents for what it's worth.

I'd love to hear how it goes if you decide to do it.

GL & Peace.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

The decals would be a cheap and easy way it looks...but...it likely wouldn't look nearly as 'right' as airbrushed...unless you had a way to make the edges invisible. I'd still like to find a template to airbrush the design.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaaf View Post
I do a lot of sublimation prints(over laminate and clear coated) and painting.
I'd stick with airbrushing/painting.

You'll learn a lot, paint colors are way more vibrant than any print and nothing beats the
pride of doing it yourself.

- Just sand it down, and apply about 4 or 5 light coats of primer sanding between coats.
- Trace out the guitar body on paper and generate your master artwork.
- Pickup some friskit film at any local hobby shop or professional paint mask at a local sign
shop(they should sell you a few feet. If not PM me.)
- The masking films are translucent so you can just trace the artwork onto the mask
using some fine tipped permanent markers. Transfer the film to the guitar and cut
out your areas one at a time, spray them and lay the piece back in to remask them.
- After you've completed all your sections, remove the mask and touchup and add detail.
- Scuff, clear and repeat. Done.

Try not to cut deep into the primer with the exacto, use acrylic paints they dry fast,
sand well and accept clear, and tack cloth your surfaces.

My two cents for what it's worth.

I'd love to hear how it goes if you decide to do it.

GL & Peace.

Sorry I totally missed your post!...Now you've spelled it out clearly enough that even I should be able to follow this, hehe...I will post my results if it all pans out OK...making my buy list..., primer...can that be from a spray can? Any brand recommendations?

One question...what your describing is sanding off the curent clear coat, but leaving the paintjob (black) , right? If so, I wonder how 'right' it would look with the edges and back left as they are, but the top with new primer and clear coat at the end...I'll pm you , 'cause I have a few more questions!

Tags
air brush jpm-1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode