Is anyone happy with a 555 - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:13 PM

Reviews: 13
Thumbs up Re: Is anyone happy with a 555

I own a 555BK for about 2 years. I bought she used, for a very good price.
The good thing is the Edge Pro II, which is pretty good.
I do not recommend the Lo TRS II, run away.
Yes, the Evo pups scream, with lots of harmonics, but I thought they sounded like this on any JEM...

If I had money, obviously I'd get a JEM 7xxx...
But if you're on low budget, that's a choice.

I guess the greatest problem is to compare the 555 to the Prestige JEMs.
The 555 was not made to compete with the 7xxx JEMs.
And I guess she's somewhat overpriced because of the Evos and the Vai name on it.

After milimetric setup (I made it myself), mine plays like a dream, seriously.
Here's a pic of her:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:28 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Is anyone happy with a 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
General concesus seems that they are ok, but an RG is a much better guitar at a cheaper price.
Yes, I'd go with this one too.
For the price of a JEM555 you can buy a higher end RG.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Dee

You know it makes sense.

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 09:14 PM

Lightbulb Re: Is anyone happy with a 555

get her out to the music store let her play some ibanez rgs and see what happens. the feel always makes the choice. the 555 is a nice guitar but if u can sway her thoughts to the rgs I think you'll get more for your money.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:06 PM

well i think from the original post she wants a jem and the 555 is the cheepest of other jems nothink will dissuade her from that hell she is yourng they liek what they like as for the hardware on it yea you get decent pickups ala evo's now there prob one of the only things i never changed in my 555 now yea people are gonna say go get a 550 or what not but this is not what she wants (although price cost wize you may want her to have one) on e of the most important factors i found when gettign my first "propper" guitar was that it felt much much better to play than all my others and that if you feel good with it you tend to practice longer adn play better as your proud of the instrument your holding and as i said you can always upgrade the 555 bit by bit (wizard neck fits no problem at all as does a gotoh floyd) andyhow ehres a pic t show what can be done with a 555 to make it truly a one of a kind guitar (cost me prob more than a 7XX series jem but i love it )

post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:11 PM

I really dig that Eddie graphic dude.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt75 View Post
well i think from the original post she wants a jem and the 555 is the cheepest of other jems nothink will dissuade her from that hell she is yourng they liek what they like as for the hardware on it yea you get decent pickups ala evo's now there prob one of the only things i never changed in my 555 now yea people are gonna say go get a 550 or what not but this is not what she wants (although price cost wize you may want her to have one) on e of the most important factors i found when gettign my first "propper" guitar was that it felt much much better to play than all my others and that if you feel good with it you tend to practice longer adn play better as your proud of the instrument your holding and as i said you can always upgrade the 555 bit by bit (wizard neck fits no problem at all as does a gotoh floyd) andyhow ehres a pic t show what can be done with a 555 to make it truly a one of a kind guitar (cost me prob more than a 7XX series jem but i love it )
and the award for longest run-on sentence by a solo artist goes to..........
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:14 PM

thanks cosmic spose the forum police are gonna arrest me for lack of punctuation on a forum eh elcid:P
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:17 PM

dont be affraid, unlike with women, periods are our friends.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Banned

i played a 555 for 11 years, not in the same league as real jems,but there still a decent guitar.avoid 555 with lo-trs trem at all cost.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:23 AM

Buy her a used JEM77FP!
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 08:19 AM

Speaking new here.

I'd say, if you buy a JEM555. Replace the trem (I didn't kn ow they came stock with Evos so pickups are sound.) straight away. Then it'll be playable.
But for the price (I'll go from 600 for 555 and 200 for trem.) That's already 800 ($1400) Where you wouldn't be far off a bleddin' J-Custom with that! (around 1000 for some). So it may be easier on your wallet to get a prestige Ibanez RG.

However, now enter evilbay and other used instrment sites.
JEM77BSB, usually around 400. That's half the price of wehat you'd be spending and is a real JEM.
Same for FPs and other JEMs from around the mid-90s.
Evilbay sometimes isn't all that evil
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the responses. I pretty much already knew the reasons why people didn't like it. But what I was looking for was to hear from current owners that are happy with the 555. If I end up getting one, just a slim chance at this point. It wont be new. But I just spent $300 on a guitar wireless unit for her. So a guitar will have to wait a bit. Next on the hit list is a better bass amp for my other daughter.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:44 AM

I say show her picks of cool RGs and stuff just to see what she thinks. Put her on this forum and ask her to read about things. If she's 14 she more than old enough to do a little research on something that's fun like guitars.

If she wants to shred why not introduce her to people like us who began that quest around her age too. Of course, you should keep an eye on what happens in conversation around here. But I think it would be a great lesson for a young player to do research on what they want and why. It will also help her understand about the guitar as a whole and then she will be light years ahead of the other kids in that regard.

It couldn't hurt, and as this forum obviously shows, that's what dad does so why shouldn't she do it?
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 06:51 AM

Reviews: 21

I got the idea for the black pearloid pickguard for Betty from the 555. It looks damned sweet!

Get her the 555 if she's insisting on a Jem. Honestly, I'd take the RG350 above before a Jem 555 any day of the week.

Tags
bass amp , dot inlay , dot inlays , edge trem , floyd rose , fret board , ibanez roadstar , music store , pearloid pickguard , truss rod , truss rod cover , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode