Anyone has a Charvel San Dimas Style 2 2H? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Anyone has a Charvel San Dimas Style 2 2H?

Hey guys,

Happy Thanksgiving to those of us in the USA. Does any one have a San Dimas Style 2 2H? I was planning on building a new guitar, and it was pretty close to what comes standard on the Style 2. Right now they are going for 699 new. Anyone have one? Pros/Cons? I did a quick search and did not find much here. Thanks, Tobe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 06:42 AM

Reviews: 34
Re: Anyone has a Charvel San Dimas Style 2 2H?

I have played one, but I don't own.

I would go for it if the specs are similar. The new Charvel necks are unbelievably nice. If I buy a new guitar, it will only be one of these.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 08:38 AM

Reviews: 18

Are the necks thin?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Just got one this weekend, and played a bunch at a cover gig over the weekend. I LOVE it!! Honestly, it has a lot better construction than a lot of the newer Ibanez I have played in the last 5 years. I will post a review soon, with pics of course. Later, Tobe
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe View Post
Just got one this weekend, and played a bunch at a cover gig over the weekend. I LOVE it!! Honestly, it has a lot better construction than a lot of the newer Ibanez I have played in the last 5 years. I will post a review soon, with pics of course. Later, Tobe
Look forward to that,I'm saving my pennies for one of those!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

So I finally got around to doing a review. Lol! better late than never!

I purchased this guitar just under a year ago. Over the months the instrument has been used in both live and recording situation. In fact I like the Model 2 2H so much it has become my main guitar. Lets start with the facts: The body is made out of Alder; the neck is comprised of a one-piece quatersawn piece of maple with a maple fingerboard. The neck has a compound radius with a 25- inch length and 22 frets with mini Grover tuners. It has an original Floyd Rose top-mounted locking tremolo as well. The electronics consist of a Seymour Duncan JB (in the bridge position) and a Seymour Duncan ’59 in the neck position. The controls consist of a three-way toggle and a master volume. The guitar came with a nice Charvel gig bag. List price was 1,099.00, but many dealers were selling the Model 2 2H for 699.00.

About the time I purchased this instrument I was beginning the plans on assembling my next custom guitar. I had gotten away from using tremolos for many years, and I wanted to start using them again. I do like the original edge, but I wanted to have an original Floyd, two Seymour Duncan humbuckers, no tone control, and a three-way switch and a maple neck and fingerboard with a reverse headstock all on a telecaster style body.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered Charvel already made almost the exact guitar I was thinking of, and at a price that could not be beat. I wasted no time locating a local dealer and went to check out the guitar. I had never played a Charvel before. I was aware of the brand, but that was the extent of my knowledge really. In fact, I did not even know about the more recent history of the brand being purchased by a few different corporations before Fender bought them a few years ago.

To try out the model 2 2H, I played the guitar through a Bogner Ubershcall and was immediately impressed with the instrument. The construction was first rate for a production guitar. The frets were dressed well, the action was great, the neck was like butter, and the electronics and tremolo performed flawlessly. All of this straight out of the box for under 700.00! I wish I could say that many of the big players could make the same statement, but sadly many manufactures, Ibanez and Gibson to name a few seem to have a huge drop off in quality control in the last decade.

Now that I have had this instrument almost a year it continues to grow on me. In fact I am thinking of purchasing a second one for live performance. The neck makes both fast runs and chordal work very easy to accomplish, I really enjoy the compound radius, it makes more difficult fingerings much easier on my smaller hands. The stock pick-ups are great, this instrument can create convincing sounds over a wide sonic spectrum, from jazz to hard rock. I perform both original music and play in a cover band and I have found this guitar is a great tool when performing works from the light jazz to screaming hard rock.

This instrument, in my opinion, is a great guitar at a fantastic price. It easily holds its own in the RG/Jem market. True it does not have quite the sonic possibilities without a single coil pick-up option, but even with the three way control provided the guitar still has some fabulous sonic possibilities. The only issues that I have with the guitar is as follows: The volume knob was very stiff out of the box, and I find its location to be too close to the bridge. I would like it a little further down from its present location. Secondly, the toggle switch is too far back. I would rather have it on the lower horn, ala the Washburn Bettencourt model. The trem are comes loose very easily, even when it is tighten down pretty securely. Finally, although this guitar covers a wide spectrum of genre’s well, it cannot do justice to modern aggressive metal. The JB combined with the Alder body just does not have the sustain for the extreme dive bombs and artificial harmonics. The Floyd over all is great you can abuse the tremolo all day long and it will stay in tune.

So overall, for the price and features the Charvel Model 2 2H is a great instrument worthy of consideration.

The following four clips were made quickly purely for tone examples. Clip one is the clean channel with the reverb on. Clip two is channel two with out the boost on. Clip three is channel two with the boost on for a lead. Clip four is channel three with some faster lower register riff. All four clips were made with the Rivera KR7 through a 2x12 VHT fat bottom cabinet. (These are the same samples as posted for the KR7) The mic was a Shure SM57 into an Allen and Heath console outputted into a DP 2408 for my DAW.
http://home.comcast.net/~freemrtn/re...arvel_2_2H.jpg
here is a link to a http://home.comcast.net/~freemrtn/review/clean_KR7.mp3 clean example
here is a link tohttp://home.comcast.net/~freemrtn/re..._channel_2.mp3 channel two w/o boost
here is a link to http://home.comcast.net/~freemrtn/re...el_2_boost.mp3 channel two with boost
here is a link to http://home.comcast.net/~freemrtn/re..._channel_3.mp3 channel 3
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe View Post
You haven't commented on the truss rod access. That's what totally killed the San Dimas and the SoCal for me. And I really wanted one of these. I can to the day not understand why they had to make it as a "vintage"-style bottom access.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_17 View Post
You haven't commented on the truss rod access. That's what totally killed the San Dimas and the SoCal for me. And I really wanted one of these. I can to the day not understand why they had to make it as a "vintage"-style bottom access.
I suppose it's a pain if you have to adjust the truss rod all the time.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_17 View Post
I can to the day not understand why they had to make it as a "vintage"-style bottom access.
Because that is how God wants it.

Seriously, Charvels have vintage necks, and that is part of what makes them Charvels.

I have several and I have never had to adjust the neck after the initial setup.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post

Seriously, Charvels have vintage necks, and that is part of what makes them Charvels.

^This. The bottom-of-neck adjustment is a non-issue with the quatersawn neck. I have an '09 USA SoCal that I love, and recently picked up one of the MIJ ProMod necks for my parts mutt, it's also awesome.

tobe: The weakest link of the Korean-made FTR-02000 Floyd Rose trems the Charvels come with is the arm assembly. A Schaller made arm and mount will swap right on with no trouble, and are machined to a much higher tolerance. Would most likely solve your problem.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
tobe: The weakest link of the Korean-made FTR-02000 Floyd Rose trems the Charvels come with is the arm assembly. A Schaller made arm and mount will swap right on with no trouble, and are machined to a much higher tolerance. Would most likely solve your problem.
Thanks for the info! I will give that a try.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:52 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post

Well that sounds promising. And tempting again. Bring on the Ferrari Red SoCals then .
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM
rgx

I own 2 SD2's as well as SoCal and Pointy Reissue and love all of them, excellent guitars!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 PM

I just bought a model 2 Charvel it played real nice but I am doing a restore on it at the moment the frets need redressing and there is plenty of meat on them the frets are massive!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the great review, i've been looking at these for quite awhile now and your review had some excellent info. Though I can't seem to find new ones for less than $899 now. I was also wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between the style 1 and the style 2?

Tags
san dimas style 2 2h

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode