Anyone have a PRS Soapbar SE - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Anyone have a PRS Soapbar SE

Went to the bookstore and scanned Guitar Player to find a review of the PRS Soapbar SE...pretty impressed they were. Then bumped down to GC to check something out and there's one on the used wall for not much jack at all, in black too. I didn't even play it because I knew I'd probably walk out with it...trying to curb the impulse shopping. But it was really inexpensive.

Just wondering if anyone has any longer term experience with one. I've been looking for a hard tail, more vintage vibe guitar that doesn't cost as much as a hyundai and from a distance this one looks good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 12:35 PM

I've heard nothing but good things from PRS's SE series guitars. Lots of people using them now: one guy in Three Days Grace, one guy in finger eleven, one guy in Sum 41...

...Ok, lots of Canadians using them
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 01:13 PM

I find it amusing that guitarists that formerly used 'real' PRS guitars are now pictured in ads with the SE guitars. Even a recent PRS ad with a pic of Mr. Smith and Mr. Santana 'backstage' shows a lineup of Santanas in a rack, with one Santana SE stuck in there as well.

I wonder if they're actually using them (in stock form) or if they're just getting paid (or getting lots of free guitars) to pose with them in photos.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 03:20 PM

What kinda gets to me is Rikk Jackett from finger eleven, he used to use the PRS Swamp Ash Special (he had two of them), but now uses the Tremonti SE.

Then again, seeing how he his on stage helps me understand why he switched from a $2000 to something less expensive
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Cool, I may just have to make a stop on the way home from work then....guess I know what I'll be fiddling with this evening (assuming it's still there).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Well I picked it up and it's basically dead mint. Fit and finish are really very impressive, frets are neatly dressed. Probably not the best looking piece of rosewood on the neck but I've read that they actually dye it...not sure, I haven't tried to rub anything off of it yet. The neck is nice. Intonation was bang on the money.

The pickups aren't bad at all, really spanky...this thing just screams blues. The pots don't have much taper to them at all, volume drops to near nothing once you back down to 5, same with the tone. It weighs next to nothing but really sounds great, who knows how many pieces of wood are in it...I don't really care. I wouldn't say its gonna replace someone's 50's TV special, it lacks some of the low end grunt of a true vintage P90, but for what these sell for who can argue. The middle position is really something, it sounds great. Neck position is equally great, and the bridge is actually a useful single coil tone, I hate my strat bridge tone...this one is much more musical.

Anyway, that's my take after about 20 minutes.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 10:20 PM

Cool. I love the look of the Soapbar SE in the black burst finish.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, this one is the black burst but calling it a burst is a stretch...as is calling it black. It almost looks like a really deep dark plumb/purplish color. It's a pretty guitar.

I ripped off the strings and wooled and buffed the fretboard a little, put some lemon oil on and buffed it then restrung it with lighter gauge strings than were on it. Adjusted the truss and action and it plays sweet now. New strings really brought out the pickups, it was so late I didn't think it wise to run it through the amps, so I was going into my POD Pro and using headphones. I dialed up the AC30 model and man did that sound fantastic. I a/b it against my strat that has Lindy Fralin Hot 54's in it, definitely similar character of the tone, but the PRS has a lot more guts to the tone...it's much more focused in the lower mids with a smooth top end. The fralins are more even sounding across all freqs. The PRS has it's own sound, not a strat, not a Paul...somewhere nicely inbetween. I will likely replace the pots at some point, but no need right now. I actually came up with few really cool licks almost immediately. I'll run it through the boogie and rivera tonight and see how many fillings I can shake loose.

I'd have to say that I highly recommend one of these. The fretboard and neck, although a little bigger and slightly less flat than your typical Iby neck, is not all that foreign at all, it definitely feels "vintage" and sure sounds it as well, it was nice that it doesn't cost "vintage."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 02:26 PM

I have a Sanatana SE and its great. I played a soapbar SE a few weeks ago and It played and sounded really good.

Tags
gauge strings , neck position , pod pro , prs guitar , prs guitars , strat bridge , swamp ash , swamp ash special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode